Author Topic: Decoy Shed  (Read 10988 times)

Offline Mike Herrmann

Decoy Shed
« on: November 23, 2016, 03:40:20 PM »
I started building a decoy shack in late spring. I'm almost finished with the outside. I built it on the edge of my pond which is in my front yard. It will serve as an office and a man cave/ art studio. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or ideas for the interior or lighting.  One idea I have is to turn my Grandfathers 1940s Coleman Lantern into an electric light fixture.  It will also have a covered porch on the pond bank. This is it thus far:

Working Decoys Forum

Decoy Shed
« on: November 23, 2016, 03:40:20 PM »

Offline Lloyd Heins

Re: Decoy Shed
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 10:30:02 PM »
Out-freakin-standing!  I love it.  Great idea.   :)
The older I get, the better I was...

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 10:30:02 PM »

Offline Vinnie

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 06:47:06 AM »
That's the coolest thing ever!!!  As much as I hate to suggest it, going to etsy.com and searching country chic light fixtures may help you out.

Offline T Madray

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 11:38:06 AM »
Awesome

Offline benp

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 11:51:22 AM »
That is very nice for a man cave/ decoy room. Pinterest I hear has great ideas on designs but definitely have a duck mount or two in there ;)
Benjamin Pendleton
NE NC

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 11:51:22 AM »

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 12:08:48 PM »
Looks Good. Skylights, ya can't beat natural light. :)

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 12:25:28 PM »
Count me jealous.  :P

That's fantastic!!!
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Offline Tony Banks

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 05:37:45 PM »
Nice, I'm working on one too.

Hang two of these 48" LED shop lights https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-Pro-Strip-Shop-Light-Common-4-ft-Actual-6-5-in-x-48-in/999911231 and you'll have all the light you'll ever need for anything over than maybe painting.

Offline Michael.McCord

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 10:06:07 PM »
Great looking shed and a great location! You will love the LEDs. I have been replacing the fluorescent tubes in my basement with them. They are much brighter than the fluorescent lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mike Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 10:25:26 AM »
HAHA, Vinnie and Benp, I got the idea for the light fixture on pinterest and the shabby site.  I think that if we visit those sites under the cloak of "artist" we won't loose our man-card. Got the idea for the red windows there too.

Those windows are cypress repurpose windows from old New Orleans houses.  That's what all the old houses were built with down here back in the day.  My Dad scored those for me.

Hey, thanks to all of you for the compliments.  This is my first building structure and I would have never done it if it weren't for you-tube.  I got ALL my info there.

Also, the siding is from some trees taken down from my parents yard.  I had the arborists load the 14-foot logs onto my trailer and I had a saw guy come to the house and cut all 1-by boards.  Got 1,000 board feet for 350. I hustled the treated piling cut-offs from a builder. Was easy to level the floor foundation by trimming the tops of the piles with a chainsaw.

I'll keep you posted on how it comes.  Been fun.  I started in May.  Ready to be over now.

Offline Mike Herrmann

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 12:17:07 PM »
This gave me the idea

Offline D Hinton

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 10:02:15 PM »
very cool

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 11:16:09 AM »
Heck you could make then throw them off the porch and your hunting! Very Sweet.
?The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly; who know the great enthusiasums, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who at best know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly, so that their

Offline Mike Herrmann

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 01:18:51 PM »
Jeff, I like the way you think.  There are local/ferrel Canadas that come to it along with an occasional visit from wood ducks and others.

Construction is coming along slow since the hunting season is here.

Offline B Maddox

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 11:31:12 AM »
Man that is awesome.