Author Topic: October Workbench  (Read 2944 times)

Offline Jeff Fenerty

October Workbench
« on: October 10, 2016, 08:47:48 AM »
Here is the start of couple of birds. A loon I promised a friend and a Mallard Mini for a Grandma.
?The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly; who know the great enthusiasums, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who at best know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly, so that their

Working Decoys Forum

October Workbench
« on: October 10, 2016, 08:47:48 AM »

Offline Jeff Fenerty

Re: October Workbench
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 08:49:04 AM »
They are wearing bibs of Bondo which dried a touch too fast. So sanding I will go.
?The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly; who know the great enthusiasums, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who at best know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly, so that their

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 08:49:04 AM »

Offline Lloyd Heins

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 09:21:50 AM »
Looking good Jeff.  Bondo is my friend too.  You gotta move fast with that stuff.  haha
The older I get, the better I was...

Offline george williams

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 11:47:02 AM »
Jeff, the left facing image comes off mor loon or cormorant than mallard, especially the bill. Gotta remember not to EVER cut on the lower edge. Doing that usually results in rendering bills rather pointy.  It may just be the angle, but..........
so many carvers, so few decoy makers

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 02:25:30 PM »
George thanks I got the pictures reversed with the words, the bottom is a loon. top one is the mini mallard.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 09:02:15 AM by Jeff Fenerty »

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 02:25:30 PM »

Offline george williams

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 06:20:44 PM »
we.
ll, then. That kinda explains why it looked loonish! :o
I may have also bootyumed you put up a second shot of the bird after working it a bit more. :-[
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 06:22:50 PM by george williams »
so many carvers, so few decoy makers

Offline Tony Banks

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 09:35:37 PM »

Hillman style mallard. Laminated 2X6s, spruce, and hollowed. Bit more work before to do before paint.

Offline Dave Speer

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 10:12:20 PM »
What'd that take, Tony? 4 birds laminated together?  Seems kinda like a pain but interesting to see it done the "other way."

Offline B Maddox

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 11:32:38 PM »
Any particular reason you went with them laminated vertically? I've not seen that Tony

Offline Tony Banks

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 11:38:49 PM »
Just 4 boards, easier than it looks. Most of my wooden birds have beven laminated  (horizontal & vertical) big box store lumber.

I laminated this one vertically, because it was easier to the side view with my bandsaw that only has a cutting depth of 6 inches.  >:( plan to remedy that soon with a new saw and riser block.  :)

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 09:03:45 AM »
Nice looking bird Tony! Ready for some paint.

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 10:39:37 AM »
Tony - That's a good lookin' NJ style gunner, it's got clbooty. 8) John Tax was the master of vertical lamination, on his field geese and duck decoys I am a fan of that style of decoy. Can't wait to see how your work stands up to water use. With good glue it should work just fine. I admire your work and determination to get the job done, as best you can.

2 thumbs up!

Offline Tony Banks

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 01:20:57 PM »
Thank you gentlemen.  Glue is Titebond 3. This is a commissioned bird that will likely always ride a shelf, they didn't even want a keel added.

I've got some more laminated birds I'll finish in the next couple weeks, then I hope to get back to work on my laminated full-size swan that I am documenting with my phone's camera. The swan is being made from 2X10 southern yellow pine and is very challenging, but I hope to keep material cost at $50.

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 12:23:43 PM »

My October work bench bird... will be a Hooded Merganser Drake when it's all growds up. The head came from a scrap box at carving club. The box was an estate sale find and it had a bunch or random cut outs in it. One was labeled "hooded Merganser" so I figured why not??? Smells and carves like pine.

The body was salvaged out of a friends fire wood pile. He was telling me about some wood that was mixed up with his oak that didn't burn worth a darn and had a sweet smell to it when cut. I'm thinking bbootywood, so I took it. Shaped out with a hatchet and smoothed with a rasp. I plan to hollow it before I am finished.
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Offline Tony Banks

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 03:13:51 PM »
Looking good.