Author Topic: Working a goose call  (Read 5857 times)

Offline Jeff Fenerty

Working a goose call
« on: February 13, 2016, 10:09:19 AM »
Man picked up a goose call after the season in the hopes of learning how to call in geese. Is it normal to sound like someone trying to strangle a goat. Managed to get my dog to hide behind the couch but not sure if it will bring in any geese. Thought I might cause an aneurysm if I kept straining.
    Been watching some youtube videos but am still struggling. Is it me? The Call? Any pointers for a nube would be appreciated.
?The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly; who know the great enthusiasums, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who at best know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly, so that their

Working Decoys Forum

Working a goose call
« on: February 13, 2016, 10:09:19 AM »

Offline Jake P

Re: Working a goose call
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 10:21:07 AM »
What brand call? I'm usually not a huge promoter of certain brands... But some are way more user friendly than others... With my Zink COD, it seriously is hard not to sound like a goose. It takes very very little air pressure to run. Somewhere I have a video of my 2 year old son blowing on it, it's no contest routine, but generally goosey, ha.
Carving decoys for the drought stricken mud lakes of Texas

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 10:21:07 AM »

Offline Dan Mausser

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 06:29:21 PM »
You have to get the back pressure right and blow from your abdomen. Just keep practicing and one time it will just click. Then it is all muscle memory from there

Offline GordonH

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 10:14:04 AM »
You have to get the back pressure right and blow from your abdomen. Just keep practicing and one time it will just click. Then it is all muscle memory from there
Took me almost a year to get a goose sound out of my first short reed call. Once I got it, which I wasn't doing anything different that I could tell, it was there forever. I kept using the tip of my tongue trying to do it like Scott Threinnen says is the right way. One day I tried his "wrong" way using the back of my tongue and it honked, and I then used the tip and it honked. No idea what happened
We have prevented Darwin from doing his job for far too long.

Offline Michael.McCord

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 08:34:04 PM »
Same for me. It took weeks to find the "break" in the call. Once I did, I could pick a short reed up and make a goose noise with about any of them. It's a matter of how you present air into the call just to get a sound out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 08:34:04 PM »

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 10:16:27 AM »
Never Ever blow a goose or duck call in the house, or anywhere indoors. No matter who. or how good they are, or think they are at calling, all it is, is very annoying racket that will drive any living thing up a wall. >:( ;)

Practice outdoors away from folks, or if ya must, in yer vehicle while alone (this way ya only drive yourself nutz). ;D

In over 50 years of waterfowling I have collected my fair share of duck & goose calls, and learned to use them. Good thing I was single for so many years... ;)

Do enough decoy and waterfowl shows, contests and festivals, and one becomes traumatized by all the calling racket that goes on.

It has been said that the best call is a good rig of decoys. I agree. :)

Offline john unruh

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 01:15:53 PM »
Hello Jeff,
I,m gonna be straight to the point , like Vince has mentioned, practice outside , good decoy setup works wonders, & most important when to call & when not to. Just a little example for ya, we did a guided goose hunt in eastern ontario this year, 1st morning, set up for snows w/ electronic callers, saw fair number of snows, had four come in got them, electronic callers sounded good but can drive you crazy , snows were mature birds , 2nd set up in afternoon hunt for Canada's, with a different guide, we saw a incredible amount of Canada's lots coming towards decoys , but the guide was calling every time he saw birds whether they were coming towards us , overhead , etcetera !  He was a decent caller But in my books called way to much , 2 birds down , we expressed our concern politely with the owner operater of this outfitter , next morning we get a different guide , my 2 buddies are real happy cause they have hunted with this particular fella before,  between 4 of us we had 22 Canada's on the ground by 10 am. , more importantly, he made adjustments on the decoys more than once, he mainly called only when the birds pbootyed us or a couple clucks when they showed interest , he was darn good caller but when to call was more important , just my 2cents  ;)

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 01:12:26 PM »
Thanks that makes a lot of sense. I think calling when they are close only cues them in to where you are exactly. I have been with folks that only call when they are far off or we can't see them and that seems to work best.
?The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly; who know the great enthusiasums, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who at best know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly, so that their

Offline B Maddox

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 11:30:03 AM »
Knowing what kind of situations you see are important also. Here in West TN, we don't see a lot of the "traffic" birds that I used to see when I hunted in Illinois. Simple clucks and moans work very well here. When we see geese that is. I'll agree with Jake, in my experience there is a bigger difference in usability from call maker to call maker than in duck calls.