Author Topic: Some eye candy from my mentor  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Jeffrey Nelson

Some eye candy from my mentor
« on: January 23, 2016, 08:59:40 AM »
Dr. John Blackard has been mentoring me for the last two and a half to three years. He has been a tremendous help to me with my carving, and he's just really a cool guy to talk with. He is mostly a decorative carver, and probably would get mad at me for posting this, but I am going to share it anyway.

Working Decoys Forum

Some eye candy from my mentor
« on: January 23, 2016, 08:59:40 AM »

Offline RLigman

Re: Some eye candy from my mentor
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 04:43:21 PM »
Beautiful! You could place this bird in a natural backdrop setting and have to look at least twice at it to determine it is a carving. Nice flow to the pose, nice feather texture work, excellent detail carving, as well as color matching and blending

The only point I would offer: Black and white margin feathers 4,and 5, when counting forward along the top edge of the side-pocket would overlap the feather below them, extending their black/white/black bands to an intersection point that would be visible.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 04:43:21 PM »

Offline BobM

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 04:52:39 PM »
Beautiful work your luck to have such a talented mentor .
BobM

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 08:31:42 PM »
Wow that's a beauty!!
?The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly; who know the great enthusiasums, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who at best know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly, so that their

Offline Jeffrey Nelson

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 08:44:01 PM »
Mr. Ligman, you have a very keen eye. I would have never realized that. I would tell him, but he just had part of a lung taken out with cancer. Little stuff like that drives him crazy. I hope he gets back to where he was before all this happened.
Bob, you are right about that. I've never actually sat down and carved or painted with him, but just to have there to bounce questions off of, and point things out that I wouldn't have noticed without more experience has been a great help. I hope to learn more from him when he gets his strength back.
Thanks for taking the time to comment, Jeff

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 08:44:01 PM »

Offline RLigman

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 07:08:00 AM »
He can fix it but he would then need to repaint the side pocket. I seldom carve decorative decoys. Working on a full size common loon in "dabs and dribbles" right now between decoy order filling.

For what it is worth: there are two types of lung cancer-small cell and large cell. Small cell is the most aggressive, spreading quickly and shedding to cause metastatic tumors in other organs. Consequently, it is generally deemed inoperable, with the management course usually palliative care.  He likely has large cell. His probability of five-year survival is far better.

Please convey our best wishes to him for a for a speedy recovery.

As a two time cancer survivor, I am a willing listener, should he opt to want to talk...PM me for receipt of my contact information, now, or down the road.

Offline Jeffrey Nelson

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 09:10:34 PM »
Mr. Ligman,  not only do you have a keen eye..... You are very kind as well. I'm not sure what type of cancer he had. I say had because hopefully they got it all when they operated. I haven't talked to him in a couple of weeks, and when I called the other day I didn't get a answer. I'm hoping everything is ok. He is a very private man, but I will pbooty along the good wishes.   
Thank you, Jeff

Offline Dave Speer

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 09:12:21 PM »
Am I the only one that doesn't see the "issue" with the side pocket?  Side pocket feathers shingle from the bottom of the bird towards the top?!?

Offline RLigman

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 11:24:12 AM »
Am I the only one that doesn't see the "issue" with the side pocket?  Side pocket feathers shingle from the bottom of the bird towards the top?!?

Dave, they also "shingle" from front to back. It is a moot point.  Let it go.

You guys wonder why the participation rate is so low on this site?

Offline Dave Speer

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 04:00:17 PM »

Dave, they also "shingle" from front to back. It is a moot point.  Let it go.

You guys wonder why the participation rate is so low on this site?

Are you implying that I'm the reason participation is low?  I just asked a question because I don't see anything wrong with that side pocket.  My experience tells me there is a good chance that I'm about to learn something new when that happens.  Was just looking for input from whoever.

By moot point and let it go you make it sound as if I'd gone on some multi post tirade about it, I was just asking a question.

Offline Scott Russell

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 05:19:20 PM »
Really?   

All questions are welcome and have always been welcomed on here.  That's what's made this place what it is... and as I and many hope...will continue to be.

Granted a critique was given that was not asked for but I see no problem with someone else asking for an explanation.   This is a good opportunity for those that may not be willing to ask a question regarding feather layouts to learn something.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Socrates

Offline benp

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 11:17:19 AM »
I am confuse on what was pointed out in the critique. I bootyumed it was the side pocket that has the feathers with the prominent white and black but on all my reference photos I see them laid out the way the carver has them a photo of the "correct" layout would help some of us that are not as knowledgable on feather layouts
Benjamin Pendleton
NE NC

Offline Brandon Yuchasz

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 11:26:34 AM »
The critique was not appropriate since it was not asked for by the poster. But to answer Dave's question. What is see is bottom of the black and white feather is tucked under the feather in the side pocket below it. Think of feathers from the top of the duck to the bottom of the duck and the front of the duck to the back needing to shed water. In this case the feather would carry water under the one below it.

That said feathers are sometimes "wrong" in nature.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk