Author Topic: Duck Season Poll  (Read 6422 times)

Offline Scott Klecka

Duck Season Poll
« on: December 24, 2015, 01:21:04 PM »
Not been a banner year here, few ducks around and issues with the boat and trailer.  I hope things get better after New Years.  I don't mind limited shooting if I am seeing ducks but I'm just not seeing much when I do head out.  Being without a boat is not helping as I don't have many walk in spots any more.  My old stand by walk in spots are no longer huntable (new owners with no permission and a couple are now subdivisions).  I have one spot that I am going to try but it was only good for about the first 30 minutes then you would not see much of anything the rest of the day.

How has your season been on a 1 - 10 scale compared to your normal?  Also, at least say what state you are in if it is not in your profile.
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Working Decoys Forum

Duck Season Poll
« on: December 24, 2015, 01:21:04 PM »

Offline Dave Speer

Re: Duck Season Poll
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 01:53:29 PM »
Way too early for me to answer this, duck season doesn't close until Jan 31 and it doesn't normally begin to even get good until about now.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 01:53:29 PM »

Offline benp

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 05:03:46 PM »
Between no ducks and overabundance of ignorant people I tend to plan to go hunting and then I can't ever decide where to go or places I want to go I can't because it's too windy.
Little boat with lots of wind is no fun and not safe. I have been hunting three times this year. First in early October and got 4 mallards. Regular season came in November and I went opening day and there were wood ducks everywhere and got my three quick. After that no one saw a duck for weeks. I did get one gw teal the last day of that season.
Second season just started and except in the yellow tinted waters
Benjamin Pendleton
NE NC

Offline keith 1

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 08:34:06 PM »
Been tough in North Al this year. Have not been able to hunt much this year due to obligations.  Hunt a public WMA and have seen only a dozen ducks in 4 hunts and they were all high.  Didn't get to hunt the last front that came through but I don't think it brought in many birds.  Hoping for better weather in January.  Freezer has an empty ring with only few packs of crappie fillets.

Offline Scott Russell

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 10:29:44 PM »
Keith you and Klecka need to get out of N. Alabama.  It's what drove me to retire from duck hunting after 21 years.

More Bubba's than ducks ;D ;D
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Socrates

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 10:29:44 PM »

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 12:43:59 PM »
Pitiful is a understatement so far this year. Season comes back in tomorrow, so we shall see.

Squirrel huntin' has been first rate. So I'm happy.

I hunt what there IS and not what there isn't. Took me a long time to learn that lesson. ::) :)

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 10:26:08 AM »
As I sit here writing this in West Virginia it is 70 degrees. Went hunting Christmas Eve and we put up a couple hundred resident geese in the dark, they know the drill. Stayed till 10am and only saw 4 mallards scooting by up high. Went to Reel Foot lake with a group of 6 hunters and we got 3 ducks in 2 days. The ducks were pbootying through we just had a bad blind. Going to hunt New Jersey in a few weeks and hoping for a cold snap before then.
?The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly; who know the great enthusiasums, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who at best know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly, so that their

Offline Jim Jablonski

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 11:31:00 PM »
I hate to be that guy with all the bad reports down there, but I had one of my best seasons ever. I didn't necessarily see a ton of birds or shoot a ton of birds by some hunters' standards, but I picked away at em. I hunted a lot more on the little lake that I live on and did a lot less driving than previous years. I'd see a few flocks and make the most of the opportunities. Shwacked the singles and pairs and pulled twos and threes from the bigger flocks. My hunting buddies jinxed me when they came. Maybe we were just farting around too much, but I'd shoot 4 or 5 on Saturday by myself and on Sunday we'd get skunked when they came. I think I averaged 3 per hunt at home and I can't complain about that when it's a 5 minute boat ride with no competition.  Shot all divers except for a woodie which was really odd. Had buffies and goldeneyes around about 5 weeks early. I also hunted some on the St. Louis river by Duluth and it was slow. We were seeing big flocks of bluebills opening weekend but nothing would commit and then it was a Dead Sea for weeks. Goldeneyes and buffies started showing up in the last week of season but it was so warm all season we didn't even freeze out down there before the end which is odd. Was really rewarding to hunt over my own handmade decoys for the first time. Can't wait til it warms up so I can get started on next year's blocks and keep improving.

Offline RickC

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 10:16:12 AM »
This will be the second season in a row that I won't be hunting. Last season was health issues, this one's dealing with the wife's health issues and an increase in job responsibilities.  There's always next season, hopefully ;)
Blessings,
Rick

Offline marty m.

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 10:51:45 PM »
Early season inland for woodies was good but lake Erie didn't get a good migration wit the warm weather, seen better hunting but wasn't there this year
The day i hate waterfowl hunting will be the day I die.

Offline DakotaJ

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 12:51:48 PM »
Best season i have ever had!  Shot around 100 ducks and 10 geese. Got picky towards the end and quit shooting wigeon.  Would have liked to shoot more mallard, sprig, cans and geese.  I did shoot my first blue bills this season though, as well as my first scotch double.  Also helped my dad get his first ever limit of ducks and his first greenhead. Started the season out in NV at the end Sept and still hunting white geese.
?They'll have to shoot me first to take my gun?
 Roy Rogers

Offline Michael.McCord

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 12:29:14 AM »
How come voting closed half way through the season??? Didn't matter though. Between work, family, no weather, and no ducks, I made it out only once during the late season, and never saw the first duck. Really smothered any will to get back out. Had some really fun shoots last year though.

Offline Mike Herrmann

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 04:11:53 PM »
Been better than I deserve this season. I am 2 weekends into our Louisiana coastal zone season and so far have had 3 hunts. First hunt we had about 25-30 flocks give us a look. We bagged wigeon,   Grays and teal.
This past Saturday was windy with a high tide which makes for tough shooting. We saw at least 60 flocks of grays, but it was hard to get them to commit. We knocked down 10 and lost a few in the marsh.