Author Topic: Longlines mainline question  (Read 3510 times)

Offline Lloyd Heins

Longlines mainline question
« on: December 16, 2015, 11:16:22 PM »
I run long lines during brant season.  I like them a lot but am thinking of changing what I have.  I'm curious what you guys use?  The diameter of them?  Where you purchased them?  Where is the cheapest place to find them?  Did you make them or purchase them bootyembled?  Thanks guys! 
The older I get, the better I was...

Working Decoys Forum

Longlines mainline question
« on: December 16, 2015, 11:16:22 PM »

Offline GordonH

Re: Longlines mainline question
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 04:57:47 AM »
My main lines are just clothes line from home depot that I died to brown or black. Drop stuff I got clops from Doctari and the line and crimps from Catch All Tackle online.
We have prevented Darwin from doing his job for far too long.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 04:57:47 AM »

Offline RLigman

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 09:59:15 AM »
Doctari stopped carrying clips, look for good quality stainless clip with 5/0 swivels, since you are using them in saltwater. Catch all is my crimp source, too.  Doctari mainlines in 1/4" braided cord is my choice since we (other than this fall) have to deal with frozen mainlines a fair amount. These are easy to set in all weather, don't crimp or tangle, and the line is beefy enough that your clips will hold in a strong current or blow(tidal surge for you).

I operate by the philosophy that I don't try to cut corners on the gear that brings waterfowl in range...

Offline Kevin Boog

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 10:09:27 AM »
I checked over doctari and the shipping was more expensive than I was going to pay for, these guys were cheaper for me:

http://www.flywaywaterfowl.com/#!longline-systems-duck-hunting/c1hm9

I've set them up, just haven't actually used it yet. Seems like a quality setup.

Offline Lloyd Heins

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 10:40:06 PM »
Thanks guys.  I pretty much use everything mentioned except the 1/4" mainlines.  I'll give it a try next season  :)
The older I get, the better I was...

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 10:40:06 PM »

Offline Joe Weakley

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 10:15:05 AM »
I use 550 cord and buy it in 1000' spools then cut to desired length. Usually get 2-3 years of use before I replace them after they start to show a little wear.
My personal labor rate is $0.00/hr. Why pay someone else if I can do the work myself.

Offline Dave Speer

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 11:41:25 AM »
I use 550 cord and buy it in 1000' spools then cut to desired length. Usually get 2-3 years of use before I replace them after they start to show a little wear.

does that tangle up on ya?  Reason I ask I don't have much application for longline but I want to do an experiment with one this year...

Offline NickM

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 06:19:08 PM »
1/4" tarred line. Just about no way to tangle it. Not sure of the pound test, but I have no doubt I could tow a boat back to the landing with it.

Does everyone leave droppers with decoys attached to their longlines? I've thought about storing the mainline wound up and having premeasured knots tied in it to clip droppers on as I play it out.

Offline Tony Banks

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 06:31:31 PM »
Nick
I used the 1/4 inch tarred line with premeasured knots for my duck rig and stored the long line on a small metal spool. It worked fine.
Tony

Offline Ken Snow

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 12:36:11 PM »
3/8" triple twist black nylon line 110' long. 10' anchor to first bird, birds all inside 90 feet approx 4-6' spacing on 1/8" drops 18" long. Decoys and anchors stay tied on with bowline knots and stored in 20 gallon totes with lids stacked 6 high. I have about 200 stored like this.