Author Topic: Something I've noticed about carvers  (Read 853 times)

Offline Jeffrey Nelson

Something I've noticed about carvers
« on: October 26, 2015, 08:04:02 PM »
 I started carving in 2013, and I have only meet a handful of decoy carvers near my area in Florida, and what amazes me is how every one of them is willing to go out of their way to help a new guy that is trying to learn to carve. I see it here on this website too. Guys that carve stuff that looks so good it could fly away are always the first to jump in share what they know..... not worried about someone being better than they are.... just willing to share and pbooty on their knowledge about decoys and carving them.
Well, that brings me to this.... I had the pleasure of meeting Larry Acree this past Saturday. I drove up to his house, about an hour and a half north of me. Again, a shining example of how carvers are.
We spent hours talking about decoys, his beautiful paintings, and his career before retirement. I could have stayed another 8 to 10 hours, but I figured I had better go before we wore his wife out and I wasn't invited back! We swapped our mini's and I made a new friend.
Larry, it was great to meet you and spend some time, Jeff
P.S. My wife loved the artwork and says Thank You....
Thanks for the wood pecker pattern too.

Working Decoys Forum

Something I've noticed about carvers
« on: October 26, 2015, 08:04:02 PM »

Offline larry A

Re: Something I've noticed about carvers
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 11:36:43 PM »
Jeffrey, Had a lot of fun with your visit. You know you and your wife both are invited anytime. Larry

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 11:36:43 PM »

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 07:04:32 PM »
Jeffery - The folks here are very welcoming and open to share whenever possible. Very much different than the old days, when many carver/makers played their cards close to their vest...

I've never met Mr. Acree, but have seen his work. Good stuff, and a very cordial person who enjoys what he does. It shows clearly in his work.

Offline Michael.McCord

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 10:45:02 PM »
With all the carve-in threads I've been seeing lately, I am thoroughly jealous there aren't any other decoy makers close to me! This is what it's all about.