Author Topic: Work bench setup and dust collection.  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Jeff Fenerty

Work bench setup and dust collection.
« on: July 27, 2015, 08:10:09 PM »
Ok I'm 50 years old and setting up my carving area. I have looked at some of the table top dust collectors, I've watched Willy's tapes and done a few decoys. I want something that will capture most of the dust and make clean up easier. The decoy I made in clbooty buried me in saw dust. I got a leather smock to help. (I use the foredom to carve.)
    Do you guys have the hole in the table dust collectors or the table top kinds. If you could share pics of your set ups that would be greatly appreciated. I like to move around when I'm carving so I'm not sure how to handle that.
    Any help would be appreciated.
?The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly; who know the great enthusiasums, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who at best know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly, so that their

Working Decoys Forum

Work bench setup and dust collection.
« on: July 27, 2015, 08:10:09 PM »

Offline Vinnie

Re: Work bench setup and dust collection.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 07:33:56 AM »
I've been using a box fan with an air filter tied to it on the side the air cones out. When I carve, I'll set the fan facing away from me. The fan pulls the air/dust from me and pushes it into the filter. It works ok, but it knocks down the dust some.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 07:33:56 AM »

Offline CraigS

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 07:54:25 AM »

This is what I have set up at my bench, I have a grizzly 1 hp wall hanging unit that is piped over to a big dust hood that I put hardware cloth over  (under the decoy, and to the left you can see the dust bag on the wall)

It helps but I still want to make some thing that sucks all the dust away if that is possible.

Offline george williams

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 08:08:08 AM »
In-lap dust collector--Perhaps there is a website or phone number out there somewhere.
Make sure, if you are not left handed, that you have a reverse on your power stuff, since most stuff for righties blows upward, causing SOME problems with collection systems, unless you have a big one, like Craig, which.  i would guess, works pretty good.
so many carvers, so few decoy makers

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 09:40:17 AM »
Nice Merganser Craig, Ill check out the lap setup George, I'm thinking Ill want some horse power behind it to really keep it down.
   Is the chicken wire setup like a vent square hooked to a vacuum hose Craig?
?The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly; who know the great enthusiasums, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who at best know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly, so that their

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 09:40:17 AM »

Offline Dave Speer

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 01:03:08 PM »
The cleanest way to power carve is to have your carving and both your hands in a shroud directing the air from a dc or fan.

I have 4" corex connected to my harbor freight 2hp dust collector ($~200).  Corex is in the sewer/storm drain section of the big box home improvement stores.  I have a "drain plug" with a hose clamp connected to that, looks like a plastic shower drain, just to keep from dropping pencils, carvings, etc into the pipe and having them get sucked into my DC motor/fan.  I have been meaning to attach that 4" pipe to a piece of ply to lay in lap, but honestly just loosely hold it between my legs (I sit while carving).

My shop has gotten MUCH cleaner since I bought and installed two $6 plastic blast gates so that I could shut off air to the band saw or to the carving station and direct all the force to whatever tool I'm currently using.

Interestingly enough, I had a guy over recently that used a ~$30 setup from Wally World.  A cheap box fan and two furnace filters bungied to either side.  It wasn't particularly clean on the power carving, but when we were done carving he cleaned the filters by running a shop vac over them and let the fan run.  There is still a lot of fine dust roaming around your shop even when not using the tools, and within a couple hours those filters were not clogged, but pretty dirty from just cleaning the air.  I am thinking of buying the parts and running something like that in the shop all the time when I'm in there since it's super quiet to help my lungs out.

Offline CraigS

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 10:56:00 PM »

Is the chicken wire setup like a vent square hooked to a vacuum hose Craig?

Thanks,
Yes it is a 4" hose run to the vent hood from the dust collector.

Offline Matt D4

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 10:02:05 AM »
They are a little pricey but the Tornado 1000 is an awesome setup. Portable, can store it out of the way when done, and quieter than a regular dust collector. I hardly ever use my 2hpDC anymore except for cork bodies. Whatever you, don't skimp on the filter or bags. You need filters that are rated for atleast Merv8 and bags that filter down to 2 microns. I replaced the bag on my DC with a wynn filter that filters up to .5 microns. They say anything bigger than 2microns circulating in the air is a health risk and carving decoys just isn't worth having heath issues over. If you are using filters or bags that can't catch the bad stuff, all those dc or box fans are doing circulating it even more around your work area. You may not notice it now, but 20 years from now you'll wish you were a little more careful.

"Once you take yourself too seriously, the art will suffer" Maynard James Keenan

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 10:34:26 AM »
OMG went onto the Jaymes company website to check the dust collectors. You should see the guys carving room setup. What a studio. I think I'm going to make a table with the hole for dust collecting in it and build a lap type version also. I like how the guy has the motor for the Dust collector under the table. I think I will buy the Y piece so the suction can be used on other tools.
   If anyone has a pic of how there studio is set up I would love to see it.