Author Topic: Carving Demonstration Paying It Forward  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

Carving Demonstration Paying It Forward
« on: June 14, 2015, 08:02:29 PM »
Yesterday I had the privilege of giving a Old School carving demonstration to young and not so young folks interested in what we do, and why.

It took place at the Genesee County Forest and Park Nature Center. The first county forest in New York, and a gem of a place for those that like and enjoy the Outdoors. DU, and many other organizations have made investments in this forest and wetland area along with the federal, state, and county government.

We had a full house, and these are just a few of the children that kept me busy with their questions and willingness to learn. We all had a very good time.

Working Decoys Forum

Carving Demonstration Paying It Forward
« on: June 14, 2015, 08:02:29 PM »

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

Re: Carving Demonstration Paying It Forward
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 08:03:42 PM »
Doin' what I do...

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 08:03:42 PM »

Offline Tom Rowe

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 11:11:29 PM »
I grew up close to that area.  I wish I knew you were putting on a demo...I would have been there in a second.  Instead I took a couple of my boys to cabelas in buffalo because t storms kept us from fishing.  I would rather have gone to your demo...I think my boys would have enjoyed it also. 

Offline Dave Speer

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 06:07:11 AM »
Looks like fun

Offline george williams

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 12:16:37 PM »
Paisan, i like the simplicity of that canada on the table. Kids look like they were pretty attentive. THEY are the ones we need to get involved with this stuff. ;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:18:24 PM by george williams »
so many carvers, so few decoy makers

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 12:16:37 PM »

Offline BoBB

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 12:50:17 PM »
that's cool Vince
Everyday is a great day!

Offline benp

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 01:41:45 PM »
Excellent work Vince, nothing is better than seeing kids smile and have that pbootyion to learn.
Benjamin Pendleton
NE NC

Offline Rob James

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 05:30:11 PM »
VERY cool!
"When you don't know what you're doing it's best to do it quickly" - Jase Robertson

Offline marty m.

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 07:14:52 PM »
cool vince
The day i hate waterfowl hunting will be the day I die.

Offline Jeffrey Nelson

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 08:39:07 PM »
The forest sounds like a neat place. Good Job sharing our pbootyion with hopefully the next generation of carvers. Jeff

Offline D. Fisher

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 04:32:37 PM »
Great work Vince. Those are some very lucky kids.
Dan

Offline Lloyd Heins

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 09:37:20 AM »
Very nice Vince
The older I get, the better I was...

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 10:59:21 AM »
 To one and all. Thank you for your kind words and support. It is a honor to be a member of the North American decoy carving community. A mostly loose knit group of characters, and rugged individualists. Taking Decoys and their role in American History into the future, each carver/maker doing so in their own way.

Many years ago I read a African quote - "When a old man dies a library burns down".  Hopefully before that happens to me I can pbooty on some of my limited knowledge about decoys, and decoy carving to others. Especially to youngsters from urban and rural areas.

Tom -  The next time I carve at the park I'll post it so folks that care to can attend. I look forward to meeting you and your boys. I'll also be a the DU booth in the Conservation Building at the Wyoming County Fair, Pike, NY. I show up almost everyday to carve (SLOWLY) and enjoy myself. It's a Old Time Country Fair. Plus I get to see wild Brown trout rise to tricos in the Wiscoy. 8)

Offline Tom Rowe

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 09:30:54 PM »
Excellent...I'll do my best to get down to the Pike fair this year.  Years ago I worked for Sterling Tent Company and used to set up all the tents for that fair.  I havnt been in years.  I'm thinking with all the rain we've had lately the trico hatch may be a bit tough.  I fish Oatka and Spring Brook.  Oatka looks like a Tim Hortons Latte right now...

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 10:25:29 AM »
Tom - I look forward to seeing you there. The anchor ice, and run off the last two years has done a number on the Wiscoy and East Koy as far as insects and fish.
Last year was bad, this year worse, but I did hit the Green Drake just right. First time in 20 years, and had 3 good days fishing. There are so many places to fish that everyday I have to decide where to go. ;D Streams should be OK today. Yesterday was fly rod popper for Blue gills, pure Fun.

So, yer a Tim Hortons junkie also... I don't know what they put in their coffee but it kicks in like Rocket Fuel.

This sign was one of my winter projects that I already posted.