Author Topic: Hoodie Mergs in the Duck Box  (Read 4973 times)

Offline Jim Jablonski

Hoodie Mergs in the Duck Box
« on: May 23, 2015, 07:42:16 PM »
I slapped together a half dozen duck boxes 2 summers ago and put them up on a few of the lakes in my area where there tend to be a lot of woodies.  The lake that I live on doesn't usually have a lot of wood ducks, but last spring goldeneyes were checking out the box I put in front of my house. Nothing nested last year, but this year there were wood ducks and buffies looking at it before a hooded merganser finally claimed it! I had my family over for a Memorial Day weekend barbecue and we saw the hen take off out of the box. Everyone was asking when I thought the eggs would hatch so I decided it couldn't hurt too much to reach up and snap a picture in the hole. To my surprise, I caught a great pic of these fluffy buggers! One even posed for the camera! Pretty cool to see the boxes getting used!

Working Decoys Forum

Hoodie Mergs in the Duck Box
« on: May 23, 2015, 07:42:16 PM »

Offline marty m.

Re: Hoodie Mergs in the Duck Box
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 09:26:10 PM »
cool pic thx for sharing
The day i hate waterfowl hunting will be the day I die.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 09:26:10 PM »

Offline Dave Speer

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 10:45:17 PM »
That is awesome!

Offline alexlane

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 12:01:41 AM »
Seen a hen with about 8-10 back about a month ago here, first ones I've ever seen little.  That's pretty cool to have them using your box.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Jim Jablonski

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 12:14:02 AM »
I didn't get to witness the jump day festivities as I went on a fishing trip today, but my wife and daughter were lucky enough to catch it. The hen and drake were both there to call out the little ones. My daughter is 19 months and had fun saying BABY after she saw each new one jump. 8 babies in all. Pretty darn fun!

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 12:14:02 AM »