Author Topic: Blue wings in mi  (Read 7491 times)

Offline Mike Barber

Blue wings in mi
« on: April 24, 2015, 05:55:16 PM »
Hey guys,

I know there are a few MI guys on this site.  Can anyone tell me about their success with blue wing teal in mi?  I've see em in the Saginaw bay city area, but I hunt in the marshes of lake Erie.  I've never seen one down here.  Haven't been able to photo or bag a blue wing for reference ever.

Do they prefer similar habitat to green wings?  Because I get lots of them for some reason.

If it matters, my marsh is about 100 acres, mostly surrounded by cattails except for one opening to lake Erie.

Thanks!

Working Decoys Forum

Blue wings in mi
« on: April 24, 2015, 05:55:16 PM »

Offline Brandon Yuchasz

Re: Blue wings in mi
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 09:04:31 PM »
Mike,
Bluewings love shallow water like 4" or less and lots of seeds like flooded grbooty. I have seen them in mil-foil beds as well. I am bootyuming they are eating aquatic bugs in that situation.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 09:04:31 PM »

Offline steve.seedorf

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 11:41:35 PM »
Like Brandon said they love shallow water and mud flats too..

I've had really good sucess on Blue Wings in Ohio's Lake Erie Marshes especially during our Early teal and guiding kids during youth season...since Michigan just got a teal season last year... I'm going to guess that the main reason you haven't harvested any is simply due to the fact that they push thru earlier then their green winged cousins..

My teal hunting tip is to tough it out and hunt in the rain...once it lightens up/quits seems like they fly just as good if not better then they do at first light...almost like they're buzzing around trying to find any newly flooded areas...

Offline Mike Barber

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 08:36:24 AM »
Thanks guys.

Do I need to have blue wings in my rig, or will they get close enough to some g.w. Blocks?

Offline benp

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 09:46:51 AM »
Typically the bluewingd have not changed plumage yet in the early season so I have always used my hen g w teal and some hen mallards and they come in to that. I also have a blue wing teal call which works wonders on teal that are flying by.
Benjamin Pendleton
NE NC

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 09:46:51 AM »

Offline Mike Barber

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 09:51:52 AM »
Thanks, I've been looking for a reason to add one to my lanyard.

Offline Brandon Yuchasz

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 11:04:14 AM »
I love putting out my teal rig in September. I think there are around 18 in it now. That said we have killed an awful lot of them over hen mallard decoys before we had the teal carved up.

Offline Mike Barber

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 06:36:34 PM »
Brandon, I bet you have great teal shoots up there!  I love it up there.  Tried to get a teaching job in Newberry once, but they gave the job to a local.

Offline Dave Speer

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 10:14:04 AM »
Yes to all the above!  Love hunting BWT.  The duck club I was on a for a few years shot over 4K a year during our 16 day season :D  The shallower the water the better.  If you sit down and are covered in tiny snails you're on the X!  Calls are deadly.  We do use "brown blocks" but some guys use diver whites just for the attraction factor.  They are some of the most willing players in duck hunting.  Fun to turn flocks of them with a call and have them all splash down almost before you know what happened.

Offline Michael.McCord

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 09:22:59 PM »
Like others have said, bluewings like to hang out in little more than a mud puddle. They are here today, gone tomorrow, so good scouting the day before is important.

We have get teal on occasion, but have an early "resident" wood duck season I hunt every year. I always run a couple decoys that show a bunch of white, and the woodies will literally try to light on them. I've used winter plumage spoonies, pintails, and goldeneye. Teal decoys are  mainly marketing- you don't need little decoys, as these birds are pretty gullible in the early season. For me, visibility trumps realism in September.