Author Topic: Instead of Stongsville show  (Read 6523 times)

Offline tom modin

Instead of Stongsville show
« on: March 22, 2015, 12:06:20 PM »
I went fishing. I still am crunched for time but this trip is only a 2 hour drive instead of 14 hours each way to Ohio. I have made this trip down and back in the same day many times in years past. I took my GoPro just to see if it would capture some film while on the water. I used a GoPro downloaded template to do a short video of the days on the water. We cleaned 12 fish between 4 guys in two days. The fish have to be 35" from fork of tail to the eyeball. You have to snag them using treble hooks and a sinker along with 100lb braided line and some serious gear. It is tiring at times especially getting snagged up on logs, but when you hit a fish they fight like hell. Who wouldn't take off running when a 12/o hook impales them ;D

Decoy carving is not a point and click hobby

Working Decoys Forum

Instead of Stongsville show
« on: March 22, 2015, 12:06:20 PM »

Offline Dave Speer

Re: Instead of Stongsville show
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 12:32:42 PM »
They do that up on the Red River too.  About a 90 minute drive north of DFW.  When I lived there I would go up to striper fish the river but never tried to snag paddlefish.  I think I would be too impatient!

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 12:32:42 PM »

Offline Brandon Yuchasz

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 01:37:43 PM »
Seems strange that there is a size limit on them but you get to snag them .

Offline Scott Russell

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 03:36:44 PM »
I'll be there as soon as you finish school.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Socrates

Offline tom modin

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 03:56:21 PM »
they have a lot of fat and meat protecting the essential organs, plus the males and females are ready to spawn and the sperm or egg sack encompbootyes 2/3 of the torso. rarely does a fish even bleed when you remove a hook. 1/2 of the fish roll up in the line and lbootyo themselves and a hook is not even in them. Most hooks are set in the tail or top of the fish. You rarely if ever see short fish floating down the river dead from hooking and releasing them. We are careful and try to mouth gaff or grab anything that looks close.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 03:56:21 PM »

Offline Brandon Yuchasz

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 05:12:28 PM »
What type of fish does it compare to in taste? 

If Scott gets to come over and fish I want to also.

Offline tom modin

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 06:47:57 PM »
It is the tofu of fish. No fish flavor and a very meaty consistency on the plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brandon Yuchasz

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 02:09:23 PM »
Im kinda envious of you. Fish is one thing we can never get enough of in the fridge. It looks good.

Offline george williams

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 07:11:59 PM »
Tom, i bootyume the yellow on the left is eggs and the rest is made up of slices of the flesh itself.  How is the roe, taste-wise?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:42:06 PM by george williams »
so many carvers, so few decoy makers

Offline Brad Niemeyer

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 08:00:53 AM »
George, the "roe" you speak of looks like quinoa.

Offline tom modin

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 08:58:44 AM »
George, the "roe" you speak of looks like quinoa.

correct you are. It is actually illegal to be in possession of the roe other than to throw it away after cleaning the fish. It is highly prized as a caviar on the black market and there have been busts of poaching rings in this state. I may be incorrect you may be able to keep it for personal consumption only.

Offline Phil Boyles

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 09:33:58 AM »
You are allowed to eat it, but it can't leave the dock.  Eat it there or feed the catfish, I wouldn't eat it if you paid me. :P

Offline Rob James

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 11:25:46 AM »
I ate "bait" once myself...the catfish'n got a little slow. Thankfully we were using shrimp  :D ;)
"When you don't know what you're doing it's best to do it quickly" - Jase Robertson

Offline george williams

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 12:43:54 PM »
What is the problem? If you are fishing for your consumption and happen to snag a female, then i certainly consider it wasteful to toss the roe.  I bootyume if you take it home to clean, there are other options?
so many carvers, so few decoy makers

Offline Phil Boyles

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 01:26:10 PM »
Here's the reg.

"Extracted paddlefish eggs may not be possessed while on the water or adjacent banks and may not be transported. Paddlefish eggs may not be bought, sold, or offered for sale."