Author Topic: What's the MOST useless (worthless) decoy there is???  (Read 15109 times)

Offline John Singer

Re: What's the MOST useless (worthless) decoy there is???
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 09:43:16 PM »
Years ago, I carved up a half dozen or so wood duck decoys.  While I have killed several wood ducks over the years, I doubt that a single wood duck ever decoyed to that rig.  I eventually gave away the decoys to friends or donated them to a DU banquet.  I think that most of them ended up as decorations in some cabin or home.

That being said, the only decoy that I think may be more useless would be a goldeneye field decoy. :)

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 09:43:16 PM »

Offline Scott Klecka

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 10:09:26 AM »
the cheapest decoys I have is a rig of 40+ floating silo coot decoys.  it actually works great because they appear and disappear depending on the angle, I think it gives the appearance of motion (diving).

While I like to look at merganser decoys, I try to not shoot them so I would put them as the most useless.
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 10:09:26 AM »

Offline Mike Herrmann

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 12:40:36 AM »
Wow, so much to have friendly disagreement with on this post; hahaha. Wish I had seen it sooner.  The geographical location has everything to do with this.  If you hunted down here in the coastal marsh, youd find out that two of the most common birds {mentioned above} present all season are teal and coots.  Starting with teal season in september, the bluewings show up and a few hang around for the duration.  By November the greenwings get here and stay till the end.  Coots are here in November thru March and they are present wherever there are good grbootybeds.  The ducks are aware of this and I believe that is one reason for the attraction.  Ive seen them stay put for long periods over a grbootybed. Also black is one of the most visible colors from a distance and they have attraction power.  Dave mentioned this too. I believe they would be good anywhere, but who knows?

Back when I guided most days of the season, I put out 3 dozen plastic coots and 1 to 3 dozen puddler decoys. Worked great.  Katrina took 300 decoys from my decoy shed in Delacroix and I have not gotten around to replacing the coots.  I do plan to. They will be home made ones this time.

Teal are great decoys because they pack a lot of blocks in a decoy bag.  Makes the numbers game easier.  Everyone here uses teal.

Down here, a useless decoy is a merganser decoy.  We call them "flying mullet". No one eats them (except visiting customers) and we have an extra daily 5 bird limit for them. No merganser decoys over here..never ever saw one. However, they make a very cool decoy, especially the hooded, which is what we mostly have in the marshes.  I know people who have shot and mounted them but never ate one.

All things considered, If I ever had the time and the pleasure to hunt with you guys in your own area, I would totally expect the ducks to act different, especially towards decoys and techniques and of course duck blinds.. and if you gave me a recipe to make them edible, I would shoot some mergansers.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:44:19 AM by Mike Herrmann »

Offline Dave Speer

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 10:19:29 AM »
Mike, this post is a year and a half old!

and if you gave me a recipe to make them edible, I would shoot some mergansers.

That's easy.  Put em in the freezer.  At the end of the season take your freezer ducks/mergansers/snow geese what have you to a deer processor.  Have them make summer sausage or german sausage for the grill.  50% pork.  I think it tastes delicious no matter what species of fowl is in it, and I can't STAND duck jerky or any of that other livery crap most people make to try to make ducks taste good :D :D :D

Offline Mike Herrmann

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 03:42:35 PM »
I see that.  I figured I'd start it up again...

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 03:42:35 PM »

Offline KeithH

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 06:32:56 AM »
I agree with the comment about using one Goldeneye decoy. We don't get many around these parts but I got a nice cork drake goldeneye decoy from a kid in WA years ago in a swap, and every time I have set it in the rig we have killed a hen goldeneye.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:46:33 AM by KeithH »
...just a drop of water in an endless sea

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 05:00:05 PM »
The most useless decoy is the one that sits in your garage and never gets used. If you have a bunch you don't use offer them to a young hunter, or sell them on craigslist.
?The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly; who know the great enthusiasums, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who at best know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly, so that their

Offline Eric Larson

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 05:28:13 PM »
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was referencing brand names. I was going to say Carry-Lite, but in general, any plastic decoy IS the most useless (worthless) there is. Greenhead Gear are the next most worthless. The keels always end up slanted one way, the bodies crack when it gets cold, and all the heads point the same direction. And what's up with having drakes only for so many species?

The absolute best plastic decoy (construction-wise) is/was the G&H decoys. Maybe not the best anatomy or paint schemes, but definitely the most durable paint on plastic and durable plastic I've seen.

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2017, 06:14:17 PM »
For plastic decoys, G&H and Tex Wirtz made the best in my book.  Still own em, but have not used em since the early 1980's when I started to carve and make my own decoys.

Offline Mike Herrmann

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 12:00:24 PM »
G&H gets my vote for best plastic deke.  Had many of those before Katrina washed my camp away. First generation Flambeau was pretty durable too. They sported an ugly child-like paintjob, but paint stayed on forever and overall were inexpensive.  I remember the pintail had a pinfeather about 3 feet long HA HA. They would wreck a decoy bag before quick.  IMHO they were as durable as G&H. 2nd generation Flambeau were the ALL-TIME ugliest decoy.

Offline Scott Russell

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 05:01:52 PM »
I've got 4-5 dozen G&H that I had for years.  Combo of pintails, gadwall, and mallards.  Some of the mallards are 20+ years.   

I never use them but just can't make myself sell them.  I don't see anyone making a plastic that durable in the foreseeable future.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Socrates

Offline DakotaJ

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 05:19:41 PM »
Yep coots, spoonies, and teal are worthless.

As are goldeneye.

In all seriousness, buffleheads are worthless, decoys and the birds.
?They'll have to shoot me first to take my gun?
 Roy Rogers

Offline Bill Clark

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2017, 11:33:10 AM »
None are worthless, they are either good to look at or hunt over. Some are too pretty to knock around and hunt over ,they are the lookers. Some are good gunners and should be hunted. Some have sentimental value making them keepers. The only worthless decoys are those that are in such poor condition that they cannot be rehabbed , in that case they can be fed to the shop stove providing heat thus making them useful.

Offline Eric Larson

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2017, 05:46:04 PM »
I bet carry-lite decoys would really make the shop nice and toasty. Just make sure you open a window a little bit and if its a weighted keel, make sure it doesn't have any lead in it. (We used to weight our keels by bolting lead strap weights inside the water keels)

As for species. NONE are worthless.

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2017, 07:46:58 PM »
Agreed. ALL Waterfowl are priceless and have very important roles in nature.

Not so for some "hunters".