Author Topic: What's the MOST useless (worthless) decoy there is???  (Read 9227 times)

Offline Rob James

What's the MOST useless (worthless) decoy there is???
« on: March 16, 2015, 05:25:01 PM »
Curious to hear what some of you Gents find to be the most useless decoy there is. I'll start by noting two...

Wood Duck...unless you all know something I don't, they just don't decoy well at all. That said, I have found that Woody's are very susceptible to spinners especially when placed well under over hanging trees such as olives.

Now, for the real shocker, and I'm sure to hear much disagreement on this one,

Coot I know, huh...sounds crazy. Here's the deal though, we observe all sorts of species bomb in to coots and think man, we gotta get some coots in our rig. It makes sense. The problem is, and what I think a lot of hunters don't take in to consideration is the reason this happens is because coots are CONSTANTLY moving. They swim around skimming, bobbing and weaving like no other. A big rig of stagnant coot decoys doesn't help improve anything at all in my opinion, but is more likely to hamper simply because you do have more lifeless, motionless blocks to present and in actuality, get approved by wary incoming live birds.

Lemme hear what your thoughts are...

"When you don't know what you're doing it's best to do it quickly" - Jase Robertson

Working Decoys Forum

What's the MOST useless (worthless) decoy there is???
« on: March 16, 2015, 05:25:01 PM »

Offline Phil Boyles

Re: What's the MOST useless (worthless) decoy there is???
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 05:33:24 PM »
Golden eye

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 05:33:24 PM »

Offline Rob James

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 05:50:38 PM »
Golden eye
I sure didn't see that coming ::)
"When you don't know what you're doing it's best to do it quickly" - Jase Robertson

Offline Phil Boyles

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 05:56:22 PM »
Hehe

Offline Scott Russell

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 05:56:51 PM »
Oh boy....I need to put this thread on my "watch closely" list. ;) ;)

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Socrates

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 05:56:51 PM »

Offline CraigS

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 06:04:15 PM »
My $.02,

I think decoys are like fishing lures mostly, there made more for the hunter more than the ducks.

If you paint a 100-300 liter bottles black and string them out in a spread you'll get ducks.
back in the day I had a hundred flamboo water keel mallards painted black with a few regular decoys mixed in (36), the spread worked great.
Here is part of it in the picture.

I think it doesn't matter the type as much as the placement,  if I put 36 woodies out on a point  they will decoy ducks, if I put 10 cans on small river by a snag  i'll decoy ducks.

So to get back on track here my answer,  Blue winged teal,    why?   least favored duck,

Offline Ben Krete

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 06:32:55 PM »
I would say mergansers (common or hoodies).
They decoy to whatever species of duck I am actually targeting so no real point in throwing them out.

I have wood ducks decoy quite regularly in our early season.

Without goldeneye decoys I can't get them to even give me a look!

-Ben

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 07:00:26 PM »
A rig of COOTS will bring in just about any puddle duck, and most divers so well you need no other Decoys.

Wood ducks DO toll to Wood duck to Wood Duck Decoys.

ONE oversize drake Golden Eye decoy set on the edge of the rig is all ya need. Anymore than that are useless.

The working decoys left on the Shelf, and not used (even though collectible) are the MOST useless, but not worthless.

Offline Kevin Boog

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 07:17:53 PM »
Woodies.

The other might be blue wing teal. They are here for about 2 weeks and then the vast majority are gone so they're a bit pointless. I'll lump in any teal since they don't stick out.

Offline george williams

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 07:44:33 PM »
the one that sits on a shelf, gathering dust.
so many carvers, so few decoy makers

Andy H.

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 07:54:16 PM »
Based on the prices on EBAY wood decoys generally are worth the most.

Cork is the second most valuable.

And foam decoys would be worth the least so they would be the most worthless decoys out there.

Offline benp

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 01:39:36 PM »
Nice Andy
Benjamin Pendleton
NE NC

Offline Michael.McCord

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 09:25:59 PM »
Life size teal. They aren't picky about their company, and the small decoys don't show well on the water. I regularly have wood ducks decoy ( not necessarily to the own kind), and have even seen them respond to calling in the early and late season.

Offline D. Fisher

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 10:32:16 AM »
I think ringnecks are useless. They'll come in to about anything.
I'm with Vince on the coot. They pull pretty good.
I think woodies decoy more to a spot than to the decoys.
George has a valid point as well, me thinks.
.o2 from Dan :)

Offline Dave Speer

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 11:19:20 AM »
I agree with Rob's bootyessment that the reason why live ducks land with live coots is due to the attraction to motion.  However I disagree coot decoys are useless mainly only because they're black and stand out. 

I also agree huge lifeless spreads can be deadly-- not to the ducks but to your hunt.  The largest moving spread you can get of the most stickin-outest decoys is definitely the best :D  MOVING spread.  I'd rather have 3 decoys on a jerk cord on a windless day than 6-100 decoys lifeless.  I mostly hunt puddle ducks though.  Divers might be tricked easier by a large lifeless spread just because they're flying so fast :D