Author Topic: Duck stamp increase?  (Read 1611 times)

Offline larry A

Duck stamp increase?
« on: March 09, 2015, 12:33:11 PM »
What I have read is that for past 80 years, 98 cents of every dollar raised went into the Migratory Bird Conservation Fund to purchase wetlands and wildlife habitat for inclusion into the National Wildlife Refuge System. Even though I no longer hunt I will be purchasing my new Federal Duck Stamp and I am not against this year's increase in the price of a duck stamp going from $15 to $25.  But if the bill specifies as it seems to, that the $10 increase in the Federal Duck Stamp is for the sole purpose of purchasing easements from private land owners, I don't like that. Sorry, but I think if this is true, that it is not right and it will only help line the pockets of people who are not interested waterfowl, hunting or conservation.

Working Decoys Forum

Duck stamp increase?
« on: March 09, 2015, 12:33:11 PM »

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

Re: Duck stamp increase?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 07:20:35 PM »
I have not read the details of where the $$$$$$$$$ is going, but sadly most good habitat left I believe is in the private domain. So as long as the birds have a place to breed, rest, feed, grit and live a pretty good life I'm all for it.

All forms of hunting seem to be going into the Posted & Private realm - not good but the reality.  I glad I'm as old as I am and lived my life as a Waterfowler. It's been a good life, and I'm just gonna keep at it for as long as I can.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 07:20:35 PM »

Offline Joe Weakley

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 10:33:47 AM »
I am making some bootyumptions here but easements are a good thing regarding public hunting opportunities. My bootyumption is that when the Gov't purchases the easements it will include the right for individuals(the public) to use that land for waterfowl hunting. While Larry is right regarding lining the pockets of land owners, it will also provide additional hunting areas that would not generally be available to the public. The only downside is that your new favorite spot on an easement may not be available from year to year depending on whether or not the Gov't is able to renew the easement rights.

Secondly, bootyuming that my above bootyumptions are correct, it is incumbent on us as users of theses easements to be good stewards knowing that if we anger the land owner there is a good chance that he won't be willing to sell easement rights to the Gov't the following year.
My personal labor rate is $0.00/hr. Why pay someone else if I can do the work myself.

Offline elijah.s

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 12:16:21 PM »
Here in west Virginia we don't have a state stamp so we have to buy a fed stamp, and west Virginia doesn't hunt ducks. So I'm very sure that there is isn't going to be 50 cents of the twenty five dollars I spend is going to wild life projects in west Virginia. So for me it stinks.
I've never hunted over a decoy that I didn't make.Saying that in the past I've hunted over some pretty bad decoys.

Offline larry A

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 01:41:01 PM »
Joe from what I have read the additional $10.00 is for the sole purpose of purchasing easement contracts on private lands and can not to be used to purchase public hunting lands. Most of the easements will be on a 30 year contract and these contracts will cost the government's additional $10.00 duck stamp fund 75 to 100% of the appraised value of the property. This is probably a good thing for waterfowl and hunters if it is not mismanaged. These contract lands are to remain in its natural topography and can not be subdived and not more than a certain percentage of it can be resurfaced with impervious material such as roads, building roofs or parking areas. Like I said I'm in for the new stamp and have tried to read and understand the bill as it was pbootyed and signed by the President. So don't shoot the messenger. Still having fun. Larry

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 01:41:01 PM »

Offline benp

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 04:03:59 PM »
i do know DU takes some land and turns into "resting areas" for ducks and no one can hunt it. the easements are a weary thing for me because some VA cities have done that with farmers and now they are taking the land from them because some clause in there said they could, and by take i mean paying under value for it and the farmer has no choice.

what Vince said about posted and private realm is true. more people our posting lands for two reasons, greed and fear. some hunters are leasing land around here and posting it so no one else can hunt it, and apparently if you give permission to someone to hunt your land and they get hurt on your land they can sue you for it, my uncle won't give written permission because of that and several others either.
Benjamin Pendleton
NE NC

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 05:53:02 PM »
Easements form my personal experience only have to offer "Public Hunting" for so many years. Afterwards the land can be posted. At first this bothered me very much, but as habitat decreased at a very rapid rate a place for the birds  to be became more important to me. I guess I'm at the age, and time in my life where SEEING the birds is much more important to me than hunting and killing them. Yet I still live to hunt and fish, and eat what I kill and enjoy it very much.

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 10:41:50 AM »
The March/April 2015 issue of DU magazine has a very good article by Scott C. Yaich, PH.,D -"Conservation, The Economy, And You". It addresses easements but also states the facts about how important waterfowling, hunting and fishing are to the economy and the benefits of conservation to society. It's a darn good read and eye opener. Makes me feel even better about paying my fair share for 51 years... :)