Author Topic: Needed some river keels this weekend  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Scott Klecka

Needed some river keels this weekend
« on: December 14, 2008, 09:02:25 PM »
We had a bunch of rain last week so I was able to hunt a small river that had flooded.  The water was moving at 3.5 to 4 mph.  Some river keels would have been nice to add some motion in the decoys.  I guess they just got added to the "to do" list for next year.  I don't know if they would have helped because most of the mallards we did see were going into the newly flooded fields.
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Working Decoys Forum

Needed some river keels this weekend
« on: December 14, 2008, 09:02:25 PM »

Offline Brian Nilson

Re: Needed some river keels this weekend
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 11:41:10 PM »
I add river keels to the to do list after I saw the video that Woodduck31 posted on the fuge.

Brian
There?s nothing like watching cupped wings drop into a spread of decoys you made yourself.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 11:41:10 PM »

Offline Shawn H.

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:34:15 AM »
I posted on Dons thread about the mallard hen, but I saw the video and made up a couple this year for a small creek we hunt. If you take out the removable keel from the old style GHG then you can epoxie in a "river keel". It worked well but I think a foamer would swim better. I did not try it on Wheeler (TVA Impoundment) but we can get a pretty good current out there after heavy rains like we had this season. When they open the flood gates you have to be careful wading around out there. I think it would work well in that situation. How about a stout wind? Does this do anything for side to side movement? Shawn