Author Topic: It is just hard to compete.  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Scott Klecka

It is just hard to compete.
« on: December 08, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
This is the view from the boat on Sunday morning, that raft of birds in the distance is 5K+ coots and a bunch of ducks mixed in.  Every bird would swing down about 200yrs from the decoys and land in the coots.  Makes me wish I had built the layout boat last summer.  Either way it was a pretty sunrise to watch, I just wish there had been some ducks in the boat to go with it.

I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Working Decoys Forum

It is just hard to compete.
« on: December 08, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »

Offline Brian Nilson

Re: It is just hard to compete.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 02:04:08 AM »
Not much you can do with a raft that size. I do like the photos.
There?s nothing like watching cupped wings drop into a spread of decoys you made yourself.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 02:04:08 AM »

killerv

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 08:08:59 AM »
reminds me of a lot of my hunts. That was part of our game plan this year, we all went out and bought about 5 dozen coots and figured we'd throw in half a dozen gadwalls in the mix. But you still aren't going to compete with rafts like that in front of you. We said heck with the coot decoys and decided to only throw out a couple of decoys and set them up with a jerk string, then we started to have ducks work. Didn't get a ton of shots but at least we were getting some and not going away skunked. I tried to get my hunting partners to realize that you just aren't going to kill those birds. A layout or a float tube would be about the only way. But you still get ready when you see a boat about to run through them.

Offline Scott Klecka

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 10:24:15 AM »
So you are only putting out the 5-7 decoys now?   :o  Is this "big" water or smaller rivers?  I may have to try that.  You are making oversized decoys so that should help with the birds seeing the decoys. 

I'm building a layout this summer, which will use the big spread but we wll give the small group a try also.
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

killerv

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 08:50:08 AM »
  To that point we would get maybe 5-8 birds between three of us on a good day.  I left the regular spread out in front of the blind, but went about 75 below the decoys with a pair of western grebe decoys the first day and on that first try both my son and I limited on wigeons.  The next time I used the two grebes and a feeding single wigeon decoy with limits of wigeon, mallard and goldeneye.  The smaller spread, absurdly smaller considering there were thousands of ducks within a half mile, was the ticket. 

That's sort of what we figured out about where we hunt. We were in a blind one day, been using a decent size decoy spread out trying to duplicate what we see in the big water. We left all the decoys out, grabbed a couple to take with us and setup about 100 yards down off a bank with two on a jerk string, started finally getting some shots. One thing I seem to have learned about big spreads on pressured public areas is to get them as far away from you as possible especially if you setup off a bank or point. The backside of the spread is far enough out where only a Master clbooty shooter was going to hit a pbootying bird and the front side about 30 yards from the blind, still a long shot in my opinion but very makeable for a decent shooter when the birds work or pbooty over the front side or middle the spread. It just seemed to make a difference, for us anyway. I too am planning on building a couple of layouts this summer so I can get a little closer where the birds want to be. We also started adding a couple of goose decoys off to the side of our spread. Haven't done the goose thing  enough to swear by it but it definitely don't think it hurts anything. I'm no genious by any means (probably right there in the middle of the duck hunter spectrum) but I still seem to learn something everytime I get out on the water, I feel confident I can adapt to most situations to make the most of a hunt...and sometimes you get skunked but you can't kill them lying in the bed or watching tv.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 08:50:08 AM »