Author Topic: where to set up on windy days?  (Read 1228 times)

Offline benp

where to set up on windy days?
« on: December 23, 2013, 06:15:25 PM »
i went out today with my brother and it was real windy and we could only get on the downwind side of the river so the water was rough. 2 days before i saw ducks everywhere about 75 yards and farther but it was little wind and no cold fronts coming through. so is it better to set up on the upwind where its calm or downwind side where its rough. i was in a part where it cut into a field so it was a littler sheltered.

as far as the hunt, we got one ruddy duck which you can see on my decoy in the harvest pics. we don't know where it came from. my brother said hey there is a duck in the decoys... boom... ME: you hit my decoy!! had one pellet go through the shoulder and one in the bill and he missed the duck on the 2nd shot too. i walked out in the water and shot it past the decoys.
Benjamin Pendleton
NE NC

Working Decoys Forum

where to set up on windy days?
« on: December 23, 2013, 06:15:25 PM »

Offline Ken Snow

Re: where to set up on windy days?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 07:42:08 AM »
Calm, windy, doesn't really matter. IMO you don't ever want the wind in your face.  From behind is best, then from the either side. I have tried to duck hunt over water in as little as a 3mph light breeze in my face (more than once because I just wanted to get out).  Where I hunt, the birds just can't work the decoys and we never even get a shot.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 07:42:08 AM »

Offline george williams

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 06:48:49 PM »
in a lee, with wind either at your back or quartering. ::)
so many carvers, so few decoy makers

Andy H.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »
You never know. People can tell you not to have the wind in your face but on opening day last week on a mile wide lake my group had the wind blowing at our back or quartering away from us. We got only a three ducks to come into the dekes. My buddies group right across the lake from us had the wind in their faces and big waves but the ducks were dumping into their decoys and they got lots of shooting. You never know?at least where I hunt.

Offline benp

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 10:12:10 PM »
Andy what kind of ducks were being shot there. I wonder if different ducks act different to wind.
Benjamin Pendleton
NE NC

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 10:12:10 PM »

Andy H.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 09:20:57 PM »
The side with the wind in their face shot mallards, geese and divers. Lots of ducks coming in.

The side with the "perfect wind" had on shot at a drake goldeneye...and one chance at two hen goldeneyes. A group to the north of us with a huge spread got zero shots. Again, perfect wind. The ducks loved the other side of the lake?where it was very rough. I can't figure them out!

Offline MichaelC

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 06:12:34 PM »
This is a hard question, the ducks do not always go where we think they will be. That's part of the fun we have when out gunning, enjoy each time you go out because each time adds to the memories you will have later.

MichaelC

Offline benp

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 07:25:24 PM »
went out today, there was a little wind going straight down the river and the ducks mainly wanted to fly in the middle of the river and not come in.
my friend went yesterday, 25+ mph winds and -5 with wind chill, i was supposed to go but didn't want to freeze. but the wind was going the same direction and the ducks were everywhere, my friend just couldn't hit the broad side of the barn. a whole box of shells and he got 1 bluebill and 1 can which was a big surprise.
so i did learn high winds going down the river seems to be best for my area, but who knows maybe its just the year.
Benjamin Pendleton
NE NC

Offline Ken Snow

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 11:19:07 AM »
My original response is what has worked for ME where I hunt.  Different areas, lakes, fields, rivers, lawns, etc... are all going to be different.   You need to hunt an area enough times in different conditions to what works best there.  Then you know if conditions aren't that good for that spot you can try another.  Its best to have a few.