Author Topic: She won't do it.  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Scott Russell

She won't do it.
« on: December 14, 2013, 12:13:06 PM »
Been trying for a couple of days to get my daughter to go shoot this buck.  She just won't do it.  Driving me nuts because it's the perfect opportunity for her 1st deer.  We did hunt together yesterday but were after pigs....she was all for that.   Just can't get her keyed up about this one. ::)

Going by the tear in his ear and all his tines being broken off on one side I believe he's a fighter :D

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Socrates

Working Decoys Forum

She won't do it.
« on: December 14, 2013, 12:13:06 PM »

Offline benp

Re: She won't do it.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 02:09:06 PM »
That would be a great deer for a 1st. Hope you can convince her to go out and get him.
Benjamin Pendleton
NE NC

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 02:09:06 PM »

Offline george williams

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 06:25:44 PM »
you let her watch animal planet, didn't you?
Get her to read Genesis, then explain to her about taking dominion--They were put on this earth to consume, that's why their eyes are on the sides of their heads, AND they don't have canines!!
Just tell her it is just like a feral hog, only with head limbs, AND there will be more, too. ;D
so many carvers, so few decoy makers

Offline Scott Russell

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 07:09:12 PM »
The killing part doesn't bother her at all George....just getting her to go is the problem.  She watched us shoot 8 piglets in a trap last year.  One of them ended up getting back up and walking around.  She jumped at the chance to shoot it in the head again.  Once I ever get her in the woods she's ready to take something out.  She's worked on the yard squirrels so hard my backyard/pasture fox has even left for greener pastures.

Had a doe on camera for 3 years in a row with no tail.  Watched her throw off a few fawns through the years via trail cam pics and grow into a decent sized deer.  I shot her one afternoon without taking the time to ID that it was "No-tail"..as she was named by my wife.  All year whenever we would eat deer meat my daughter would say.." Boy no-tail sure does taste good."   Drove my wife absolutely nuts :D :D :D   She completely understands animals taste good ;)

Socrates

Offline marty m.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 08:19:23 PM »
maybe she wants to be a trophy hunter
The day i hate waterfowl hunting will be the day I die.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 08:19:23 PM »

Offline george williams

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 07:45:24 AM »
Just be blunt and ask her why!  That is just interesting--My buddy's grandson went through a time when he just watched them, too. The past two years have seen a change in his process, too.  Cou;d be the advent of adolesence?
so many carvers, so few decoy makers

Offline Scott Russell

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 08:23:55 AM »
Just be blunt and ask her why!  That is just interesting--My buddy's grandson went through a time when he just watched them, too. The past two years have seen a change in his process, too.  Cou;d be the advent of adolesence?

This "change" is starting to show up.  She's 12 now and moody to say the least.  I think some of those "woman hormones" are the culprit  :D :D

Either way we are still getting some quality time in the field every so often.  I take full advantage of those times and the time she spends in the shop with me to the fullest extent.  She's definitely growing up too fast. :'(

Socrates

Andy H.

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 10:12:32 PM »
Want me to send my 13 year old down to be her huntin guide???  I bet she would LOVE to go deer hunting!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline tom modin

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 02:13:17 PM »
let her shoot some yearlings for the freezer, veal is expensive for a reason ;D It tastes EXCELLENT
Decoy carving is not a point and click hobby

Offline Scott Russell

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 05:25:40 PM »
Want me to send my 13 year old down to be her huntin guide???  I bet she would LOVE to go deer hunting!!!! ;D ;D ;D

So you know I'm in a very RARE good mood and you are making a blatant attempt to ruin it aren't you  ;) ;)

Socrates

Offline Patrick Eubanks

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 10:13:14 PM »
Scott.  I know what your talking bout.  I have a 13-year old daughter that has been deer hunting with me for about four years now.  I too enjoy spending time in the stand with her.  It seems that they somewhat let their guard down and talk about stuff a little more when your out there one on one.  After four years and many deer later she has gotten to the point that she really enjoys going to the stand.  She killed her first big buck last year and that seemed to ease her tension a little.  She has had not problem whacking some does for me this year.  I hope your enjoy your time in the stand together and she knocks the dust off that buck.

Andy H.

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 03:45:49 PM »
Its too bad not everyone has a child that ends up involved in hunting. I would have swore my daughter would be a hunter. She watched me kill a deer at a young age...watched me gut it...and even asked what every organ was as she was fascinated with the insides of that doe. After that day she hunted a few other times with me but never had the pbootyion. On the plus side she has been interested in anatomy ever since that day and after being the only girl in her grade who throughly enjoyed dissecting animals, including the fetal pig, she has just started her college education in the medical field. All thanks to a successful deer hunt. Luckily my boy is obsessed with duck hunting. My best friend loves hunting and none of his three boys followed in his footsteps...thats a bummer!!!

On the plus side Scott, when you hunt this year with me and my boy I will have him call you Dad if  it makes you feel better. Im not really certain who is father is anyways :D :D :D :D

Offline Scott Russell

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 06:19:16 AM »

On the plus side Scott, when you hunt this year with me and my boy I will have him call you Dad if  it makes you feel better. Im not really certain who is father is anyways :D :D :D :D

So he and I already have something in common  :D ;D

My daughter does the same thing when gutting a deer.  I've even had to brush up on some anatomy to make sure I am properly explaining what how each organ functions.  Same thing with squirrels...she has no problems killing them, hogs, and even doves.  She's a mess.  Love her to death!!!!

Socrates

Offline benp

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 01:56:03 PM »
Must be something with girls and organs. I got my girlfriend to help me clean ducks and the entire time she was what's this and what does it do. By the last bird she had dissected the heart, gizzard and whatever else she could cut into with my scaple.
Benjamin Pendleton
NE NC

Offline Tom Rowe

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 02:51:46 AM »
TRGM