Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Working Decoys Forum

Yum
« on: September 29, 2013, 08:22:36 PM »

Offline marty m.

Re: Yum
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 10:38:49 PM »
looks good but what is it
The day i hate waterfowl hunting will be the day I die.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 10:38:49 PM »

Offline D. Fisher

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 10:40:49 PM »
Is that the ruffed grouse and noodle soup, Brandon? Looks really good.
How's the waterfowling up that way?
Dan

Offline Brandon Yuchasz

Re: Re: Yum
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 11:44:42 PM »
Yep grouse noodle soup. Highly recommend it.

Today was another great day with my son. Several opportunities at birds.

He killed this one and a hen.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Rob James

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 12:02:43 PM »
VERY cool!!! 8)
"When you don't know what you're doing it's best to do it quickly" - Jase Robertson

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 12:02:43 PM »

Offline D. Fisher

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 01:11:29 PM »
Good shootin'!
Beautiful setting you have up there Brandon. Many birds around?
Thanks, Dan

Offline joe brewer

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 06:56:31 PM »
The U.P is an awesome place you are a lucky man!

Offline Brandon Yuchasz

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 09:08:07 PM »
Joe,
I could not agree more. Its not all roses but I am so glad we made the choice to move and give it a go up here. Raising my kids here and getting to enjoy it is truly a great blessing.

Offline RLigman

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 07:52:18 AM »
The U.P is an awesome place you are a lucky man!

Sunny Fall day with low winds-hunt grouse and woodcock with the dog, or drive over to M county to hunt pheasants...

Sunny Fall day with moderate winds- fish Fall staging salmon, browns, or brook trout via canoe or trolling inshore on Lake Superior or Lake Michigan ( Coho have been very cooperative for the last six days on Superior, chinook are "in" on the Lake Michigan side)...

Cloudy and a good wind- hunt waterfowl on beaver flowages, scattered farmlands, and watercourses...

Cloudy and blowing a gale-hunt waterfowl on inland lakes near the Great Lakes migration corridors via layout boat...

Cloudy, rain/snow and a good winds- hunt the Great Lakes shoreline bays and wetlands via layout boat for ducks and geese...

Freeze-up and snow- bow hunt deer in the late season, snowshoe hare, late season grouse, go cross-country skiing and/or snowshoeing...

Spring thaw-steelhead fishing via a fly rod or spring salmon trolling...

Warm and sunny Spring day-hunt turkey, pick morel mushrooms, fish stream trout on fifteen uncrowded nearby streams and rivers...

Toss in Spring and Fall mushroom picking, Summer wild blueberries,mountain biking, trail running to stay in shape for ski season, dog training and decoy carving...

Yes, it is a continuous struggle to find something to do here!

Offline Scott Klecka

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 09:31:48 AM »
Sounds great but I would have to do a cabin that I could stay in until everything freezes and then come back when it thaws out.  I just don't like snow and ice for 3-4 months.......
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Offline D. Fisher

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 10:16:02 AM »
Sounds like a good time up there. Many jobs in that area?
Thanks, Dan

Offline Brandon Yuchasz

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 11:58:05 AM »
Dan,
I always say If you want to live here you just need to make your own job that's what we did. But a more honest answer is this is a rural area jobs are different. Many people work two jobs or seasonal work for the most part our work is not what defines who we are like it does in more metropolitan areas of the country. We work to take care of ourselves and our families and very seldom do we discuss it at all with friends or family.  Some work, Medical, Trucking, Trades like plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and others are in demand and easy to obtain. Of my friends in the area I am the only one that owns his own business, The others are, mechanics, truck drivers, many of them are prison guards, few are teachers, and lastly medical. I don't think any of us are making a ton of money and if we lived down state it would not be enough but when you consider nice houses cost 50K in town the cost of living is different as well. Heat cost are high of course but I don't know anyone that does not supplement the heat with wood.

Scott,
I know living down south you wont believe me but the cold and snow is not that bad. You get very used to it. The dark gets old in December but that does not last that long. Plus think of all the carving time it creates.

Offline larry A

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 12:36:04 PM »
That home made noodle soup with the bread your showing in the first post is my kind of eating. Brandon it sure looks awesome! Like Scott said, I couldn't take the cold but we have a kid that loves the hunting and fishing of the north country. He was stationed in Michigan, then bought a house in Maine and is on bootyignment in Minnesota and loves it. Like Joe states between the fishing and hunting birds, deer and waterfowl and training the dogs it is hard to find anything to do. Larry ;)

Offline D. Fisher

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 01:16:56 PM »
Dan,
I always say If you want to live here you just need to make your own job that's what we did. But a more honest answer is this is a rural area jobs are different. Many people work two jobs or seasonal work for the most part our work is not what defines who we are like it does in more metropolitan areas of the country. We work to take care of ourselves and our families and very seldom do we discuss it at all with friends or family.  Some work, Medical, Trucking, Trades like plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and others are in demand and easy to obtain. Of my friends in the area I am the only one that owns his own business, The others are, mechanics, truck drivers, many of them are prison guards, few are teachers, and lastly medical. I don't think any of us are making a ton of money and if we lived down state it would not be enough but when you consider nice houses cost 50K in town the cost of living is different as well. Heat cost are high of course but I don't know anyone that does not supplement the heat with wood.

Scott,
I know living down south you wont believe me but the cold and snow is not that bad. You get very used to it. The dark gets old in December but that does not last that long. Plus think of all the carving time it creates.

My wife nearly applied for a job in Escanaba. I'm sure she would have gotten it, and I'm sorta wishing she would have now. ;) Once you've lived places with far more hunting and fishing, flat, corn country, Ohio is sorta boring at best. This time of year I kinda miss livin' in NoDak, but in about two or three more months, I won't. ;)
Thanks, Dan

Offline benp

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 01:46:57 PM »
the cold doesnt bother me, i wish it would get colder and stay longer here but for me i couldnt stand the shorter days. sounds like a great place to live but i love my home state more than any other. would like to visit and wouldnt mind living for awhile in other states but my heart will always be in Carolina.
Benjamin Pendleton
NE NC