Author Topic: Let?s See Them Work (Decoy Pictures)  (Read 16126 times)

Offline David K.

Re: Let?s See Them Work (Decoy Pictures)
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2010, 10:21:56 AM »
Got to take the decoy I made for my Dad out on another hunt. Gusts to 50+mph sure were interesting. Nothing wanted to work in the evening and I spent the morning waiting to refill a good blind. I should have just taken any open blind in the morning as the high winds led to near limits for almost the entire refuge. I did get to go out with Bubba, the Califonria version of Bald Pete the traveling decoy. We ended up the day with 2 Gadwalls, 1 spoony and 2 greenwing. Shooting in the wind can give you fits. We had group of gadwall that took literally 5 minutes to close from 100 yards to 50 just dodging back and forth in the wind. Of course my partner and I got our wires crossed and shot the same bird when we should have had all 5. Don, this time of year you could shoot a truck load of fully plumed spoonies. Those things decoy in like crazy too bad they taste like Spoony :)

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:25:18 AM by David K. »

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2010, 10:21:56 AM »

Offline David K.

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2010, 04:34:01 PM »
You may be recieving a phone call prior to the start of next season Don  ;D

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2010, 04:34:01 PM »

« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2010, 10:10:51 PM »
Very cool drake spoonie ...they call them "hollywoods" locally... We even set up for them today...would like a big bull for the wall.
What refuge are you hunting?

Offline David K.

« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2010, 02:10:33 PM »
They are all over the grbootylands refuges which are located between Los Banos/Fresno/Modesto California. Spoonies are not hard to find in most of CA, at least the Central Valley and southern zones. Not sure about the coast and northeast.

Offline Scott Klecka

« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2010, 03:05:54 PM »
4 days to go till we pick the winners!!!  Get your photos posted.
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2010, 03:05:54 PM »

Offline Bryce R

« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2010, 05:00:31 PM »
Not sure if this counts or not but I did make them and they are decoys. If not that is fine. Next year I will have a whole fleet of foamers to play in the games.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 05:03:41 PM by Bryce R »

Offline David K.

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2010, 10:14:31 AM »
Well seeing how this is the final day of the season and I am sitting at a computer at sunrise I obviously did not get out again. Here are some pics from my last hunt a few days ago. I got an invitation to hunt a different part of CA. Pretty cool hunting a little open water channel surrounded by trees. When the ducks came in they only had one place to go. I was shooting #5's and those big old mallards were dropping like lead. Nice when 30 yards is a long shot. I had my dad's decoy along and my host had 6 full curls. We ended the day with 6 mallards and a greenwing teal. The flight only lasted about 45 minutes but it was a fun 45 minutes. I learned that 20 degrees and 400 gram thinsulate waders don't match very well. I had to do a couple laps to keep the feeling in my toes. Good way to end a very bizarre season. Had a lot of fun hunting over mostly my own decoys and shooting my own reloads. Might get a lathe and maybe I'll have my own call for next year. My dad has no idea that I made this decoy for him so it will be cool to send it to him with some photos of birds I got over it, maybe we'll get a chance to take it out in the future.

I'm pretty happy with the colors I used they seem to match these hens well.

Finally my buddy's dog, he's prettier than me so we'll let him sit in!

Offline David K.

« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2010, 11:47:43 AM »
Looks like I forgot to post this picture up here. My one and only sprig of the season, strange year. Absolute favorite bird!

another closeup of the bird.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:55:04 AM by David K. »

Offline Scott Klecka

The Winners Are.......
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2010, 11:31:52 PM »
THE WINNERS ARE:

Brandon Yuchasz: This is what it is all about - decoys, ducks, and your kids!!
Prize: Handmade Duck call with WorkingDecoys logo - donated by member ShawnH

David K. - Proof that our decoys do WORK!!
Prize: Custom made Lanyard and Game Strap - donated by member Todd Fryer

Ben Evans - Just too pretty of a picture not to win.  Prize: WorkingDecoys Decal

Thanks to everyone who posted photos.  The winners need to PM me the address where they want the prizes shipped
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Offline Scott Russell

« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2010, 06:38:21 AM »
Congrats guys....awesome pics.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Socrates

Offline David K.

« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2010, 08:46:40 AM »
Wow! Thank you very much. PM sent