Author Topic: little help  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Adam m

little help
« on: March 15, 2013, 09:19:49 AM »
well couple weeks ago a friend of mine who was more like a father figure to me pbootyed away. well was left with 3 dozen herters bodys im not sure if 63 or 72. he was a big time waterfowler and kinda as a tribute to him i would like to get them out on the water. but the heads are lost. i only have one canvasback head. so im inneed of 35 more. if someone could help me out either by understanding how to make the heads or possible make heads for me. from wat ive seen on net little to rich for my blood. i know it takes time. but 360 bucks for just heads is just a little outa my range with a young family.

thanks for time looking.
Adam

Working Decoys Forum

little help
« on: March 15, 2013, 09:19:49 AM »

Offline Rob James

Re: little help
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 10:10:45 AM »
"When you don't know what you're doing it's best to do it quickly" - Jase Robertson

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 10:10:45 AM »

Offline george williams

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 04:00:47 PM »
Adam, the problem is quite simple--Herters is out of business, noone is presently making heads, and thoses available are going at a premium--Try craigslist--Sometimes they have them. My buddy Dave had some for sale at strongsville. Maybe he can get a price to you--Don't know what he has, though.
Too bad the heads were missing.  Were they broken, never put on?  Kind of unusual to have that many missing heads.
so many carvers, so few decoy makers

Offline benp

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 08:14:23 PM »
I know ureaduck.com makes them for the 72's but the prices might still be to high.
Benjamin Pendleton
NE NC

Offline Adam m

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 09:14:08 PM »
The heads were missin all together idnt knw if he was gona carve them or buy them he coulda been sitting on these for 25 years. I'm just lookin for some one that like to make them or wants the practice. I'm willing to cover materials. And couple bucks to make time worth sumthing

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 09:14:08 PM »

Andy H.

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 11:34:47 PM »
So you are looking for someone to make 36 heads for a few bucks?

Offline Adam m

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 01:09:51 PM »
yea someone that just startin and wants pratice. and make a couple bucks

Offline Phil Boyles

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 01:27:58 PM »
I would suggest that you get some practice and see after a half dozen if you would make them for a "little".  It's not as easy as it seems
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:32:33 PM by Phil Boyles »

Offline D. Fisher

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 10:40:07 PM »
Get some foam and make sandwich heads with some apoxie sculpt bills. You know what you want better than anyone else and you have the decoys there to try the heads out on.
Just a thought,
Dan

Offline Adam m

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 11:10:25 PM »
I would suggest that you get some practice and see after a half dozen if you would make them for a "little".  It's not as easy as it seems

i never thought it would be easy, if i thought that i would have tried it myself.

Offline Vinnie

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 07:07:53 AM »
Adam,

Though Phil is right that it is not as easy as it may seem, it is not impossible. Give it a try. We are all trying to do it. Some are better and more experienced than others, but I'm sue you can do it. Look in the tutorial sections for the help you will need. The end result may be a better tribute than you thought.
Vinnie

Offline hankyorke

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 07:35:23 AM »
yea someone that just startin and wants pratice. and make a couple bucks

I might be interested. How much is "a couple bucks"
Nobody cares about your "Pro Staff" - Field Staff

Offline marty m.

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 07:44:44 AM »
adam, i think the only way you can get them cheap enough is to make them yourself. You will spend about 60 bucks in material, and the time it would take me to do it plus the shipping not alone wondering if they would match up to the body and look presentable, would not be worth the costs. I like your offer and would love the practice but the way i make mine might not match the body real well and you may be very disappointed even though you saved a few bucks. That would be foam heads and if you got someone to make them from wood , it may cost a lot more then what you can buy them for already. I  am sure there is someone here willing to do it but the biggest problem i see is that they wont snap in or work like the originals would, so i would just try it yourself.
The day i hate waterfowl hunting will be the day I die.

Offline TJ Sanner

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 11:06:58 PM »