Author Topic: March - What's on your Workbench  (Read 17617 times)

Offline Scott Russell

March - What's on your Workbench
« on: March 04, 2013, 03:40:01 PM »
Got a pic from George.  Said he did a little cleaning on his workbench.

What's everybody else got so far this month?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Socrates

Working Decoys Forum

March - What's on your Workbench
« on: March 04, 2013, 03:40:01 PM »

Offline D. Fisher

Re: March - What's on your Workbench
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 05:31:41 PM »
Widgeon? They look good.
Dan

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 05:31:41 PM »

Offline george williams

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 05:59:28 PM »
will send scott a pic when they are done-Look at the tail, bill, and you should figure it out--Now, that entire right side was buried in rubble that had accumulated since 1997.  I found a few brushes, a sur-form drum rasp that i quite using when i went to the foredom-too much spped made the welds let go-a bunch of photos from argentina that were taken in 2007, along with pencils, and a sharpening tool i didn't remember seeing for eons- At least all of the stuff i kept is back in its place :o ;D  Yool an hour and a half and half a black trash bag to clean up--Not to mention taking the shop vac apart to shake dust outta the paper and sponge filters.  On a positive, i now have half a table that i have not seen in a while.
BTW, the peanut butter and mayo jars all contain paint mothers--some was originally mixed 10+ years ago. I just put a blob on the palette when ready to paint and whatever ends up as extras is added to the jay--this way, i can keep colors reasonably similar from batch to batch.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:02:46 PM by george williams »
so many carvers, so few decoy makers

Offline Andy M

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:52:43 AM »
Just got these mallards off the workbench last weekend.  Going to start on some more this weekend.  Wanting to get a dozen done for a walk in rig.  Restle/Trestle coated foamers painted in acrylics.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:56:44 AM by Andy M »

Offline Phil Boyles

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 10:00:13 AM »
will send scott a pic when they are done-Look at the tail, bill, and you should figure it out--Now, that entire right side was buried in rubble that had accumulated since 1997.  I found a few brushes, a sur-form drum rasp that i quite using when i went to the foredom-too much spped made the welds let go-a bunch of photos from argentina that were taken in 2007, along with pencils, and a sharpening tool i didn't remember seeing for eons- At least all of the stuff i kept is back in its place :o ;D  Yool an hour and a half and half a black trash bag to clean up--Not to mention taking the shop vac apart to shake dust outta the paper and sponge filters.  On a positive, i now have half a table that i have not seen in a while.
BTW, the peanut butter and mayo jars all contain paint mothers--some was originally mixed 10+ years ago. I just put a blob on the palette when ready to paint and whatever ends up as extras is added to the jay--this way, i can keep colors reasonably similar from batch to batch.

Hate to be the one to tell you George, but you got a spot of paint on your bench.  ;D  :o

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 10:00:13 AM »

Offline george williams

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 10:58:08 AM »
You should see the floor!  That is a piece of plexiglas that i use as a palette.  I must admit, it's getting a mite dark.
so many carvers, so few decoy makers

Offline D. Fisher

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 10:59:45 AM »
Just got these mallards off the workbench last weekend.  Going to start on some more this weekend.  Wanting to get a dozen done for a walk in rig.  Restle/Trestle coated foamers painted in acrylics.

Them look good too. :)
Dan

Offline benp

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 11:52:20 AM »
Mallards look good Andy. I'm sure a whole rig of this will be the heartbreakers of a few ducks.
Benjamin Pendleton
NE NC

Offline Andy M

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 04:24:06 PM »
Thanks guys. I am overall happy with those.  Its going to kill me to have to look at them for 8 months in the basement until I can actually use them.

RickC

Re: Re: March - What's on your Workbench
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 04:32:57 PM »
Well this whats been occupying my time this month. After painting and repainting a few times I finally had to let it go before I launched it out the back door followed by some #3 shot. I could not for the life of me figure out what to do on the back.

Offline D. Fisher

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 05:49:40 PM »
Well this whats been occupying my time this month. After painting and repainting a few times I finally had to let it go before I launched it out the back door followed by some #3 shot. I could not for the life of me figure out what to do on the back.

Other than the head of breeding drakes and the sides they've always seemed sorta non-discript to me. Not much to hang your hat on like with a pintail or mallard or something like that.
I think he looks good and feel that you picked a tough one to duplicate.
Dan

Offline larry A

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 07:29:53 PM »
Rick, it looks good, Why did you have to repaint? I hope the #3 shot missed it! Are you going to enter it in the canvas clbooty?
Larry

RickC

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 09:58:15 PM »
Larry, the chest and sides got painted and repainted 3 times because I didnt like the color, markings or both. The back was no better. The mechanical side of me has no problem making the bird but I have little painting experience and its just a frustration phase I have to get through by doing more.
I am entering it, just to get that 1st show entry off my chest.

Offline larry A

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 07:20:44 AM »
Good luck Rick, Will it be in a canvas puddle duck category or will it be in a canvas decoy category? Rick are you getting in the forum puddle duck decoy raffle?
Larry

killerv

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 07:29:04 AM »
Larry, the chest and sides got painted and repainted 3 times because I didnt like the color, markings or both. The back was no better. The mechanical side of me has no problem making the bird but I have little painting experience and its just a frustration phase I have to get through by doing more.
I am entering it, just to get that 1st show entry off my chest.

You bringin it to Strongsville?