Author Topic: First Decoy...Are you bold enough to share it?  (Read 15594 times)

Offline Dave Sikorski

Re: First Decoy...Are you bold enough to share it?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 02:32:05 PM »
Here's a bunch from George Williams.   All are the mid to late 70's.....George can explain further.

-D

-D

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 02:32:05 PM »

Offline Dave Sikorski

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 02:32:47 PM »

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 02:32:47 PM »

Offline hankyorke

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 02:35:53 PM »
Nobody cares about your "Pro Staff" - Field Staff

Offline Phil Boyles

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 02:51:06 PM »
Someone needs a paint bib  ;D  ;D

Offline D. Fisher

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 02:51:59 PM »
I see that George likes the low headed, resting look in his rig too. I knew I was on the right track.  :D
Dan

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 02:51:59 PM »

Offline QuentonL

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 03:01:51 PM »
Obi Juan,

Call me crazy but I dig that Can. If you ever want to part ways with him let me know - it's damn unique.

Here's mine... took me a while to dig it up... wish I hadn't... it's a mini ringneck (had to tell you because it's that bad  :o ). 3 years ago. Then got hooked up with Tom Flemming and this was my latest ringer. Moral of the story --> FIND A MENTOR!!!

Offline Bo Hanson

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 08:36:16 PM »
Just got back from Strongsville, what a great time!  Met some really great people.
This is my first bird ever, so what the heck, I put it in the pool. I have a lot to learn and
I am looking forward to it.

Andy H.

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 10:43:47 AM »
This is my first bird. Its  supposed to be a redhead but looks like a blue-billed pink head. My kids absolutely hate the fact that it still sits on the entertainment center....they claim its embarrbootying to have it there. I guess I can see why but I sure was proud of it at the time!!!!

Offline D. Fisher

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 11:40:59 AM »
This is my first bird. Its  supposed to be a redhead but looks like a blue-billed pink head. My kids absolutely hate the fact that it still sits on the entertainment center....they claim its embarrbootying to have it there. I guess I can see why but I sure was proud of it at the time!!!!

Looks like the doggy likes him. Nice feathering detail on the side pockets and back.
Dan

Offline RLigman

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 11:48:40 AM »

First decoy from scratch-1985. A week to carve and paint... in oils. My girlfriend smudged the side pocket when she picked the bird up prior being fully dry. I married her anyway;never let her touch a decoy again, though!

I had painted several dozen spindle carved mallards and divers prior this bird for a forestry Prof. at MSU that I used to hunt with. He had some Miles Pirnie birds that he used as masters. I cleaned-up some of the rough marks on the heads, carved the bill details ,and cleaned-up the bodies and added some Ben Schmidt feather patterns(still a big fan of his decoys and painting style). I was supposed to get half of the decoys on completion of the job, but never saw any of them. He eventually reimbursed me for the paints. They are now in a hunt club in southern Michigan.

Andy H.

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 07:08:02 PM »

First decoy from scratch-1985. A week to carve and paint... in oils. My girlfriend smudged the side pocket when she picked the bird up prior being fully dry. I married her anyway;never let her touch a decoy again, though!

I had painted several dozen spindle carved mallards and divers prior this bird for a forestry Prof. at MSU that I used to hunt with. He had some Miles Pirnie birds that he used as masters. I cleaned-up some of the rough marks on the heads, carved the bill details ,and cleaned-up the bodies and added some Ben Schmidt feather patterns(still a big fan of his decoys and painting style). I was supposed to get half of the decoys on completion of the job, but never saw any of them. He eventually reimbursed me for the paints. They are now in a hunt club in southern Michigan.
  That bird makes some of us look bad....very nice though!!!!

Offline Tony

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 09:22:12 PM »
I'm with Quenton on that Can.

Offline Mike F.

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 10:34:37 PM »
Here's my first cork bird. 2007

Andy tell's me to go gring some cork i'll feel better.

Offline Luke Costilow

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 11:10:23 PM »

Carved him 10 years ago, when I was 10. Its is getting scary because I can talk in decades, getting old! lol The picture was from the 2004 Westlake Show where he won the youth contest, and accully won the bufflehead species in the pool! haha I keep track of all the birds I carve, and When I hit 99, I carved my 100th as a drake buffy with the same pose. Its amazing how much I have improved! Looking at the pictures, you have all improved greatly! Except for Scott Russell, some how he went backwards. :)

Andy H.

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 05:50:10 AM »

Carved him 10 years ago, when I was 10. Its is getting scary because I can talk in decades, getting old! lol The picture was from the 2004 Westlake Show where he won the youth contest, and accully won the bufflehead species in the pool! haha I keep track of all the birds I carve, and When I hit 99, I carved my 100th as a drake buffy with the same pose. Its amazing how much I have improved! Looking at the pictures, you have all improved greatly! Except for Scott Russell, some how he went backwards. :)

Whatever Luke.....we all know your dad carved that and still carves all your birds :D :D :D   I wont believe you carve until I see you do one start to finish...maybe at next years show????

And the comment about Scott is hilarious :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:53:20 AM by Andy Hildreth »