Author Topic: Balsa Help  (Read 820 times)

Andy H.

Balsa Help
« on: February 16, 2013, 02:02:23 PM »
I am finishing a balsa wood decoy that my daughter started about 4 years ago when she was 13. I will never carve a piece of balsa wood again...what a pain! I have spent three or four times the amount of times it would have taken me to carve a bird to fix this one. Anyways, can someone tell me what to coat it with so that it wont dent easily? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Working Decoys Forum

Balsa Help
« on: February 16, 2013, 02:02:23 PM »

Offline D. Fisher

Re: Balsa Help
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 02:27:41 PM »
I coated some foamers with two part epoxy and took them out and threw them up and down my drive way with not problems. That may work, but it's kinda spendy for one block. Wonder if you could burlap it like a foamer?
Dan

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 02:27:41 PM »

Offline Willy McDonald

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 03:54:23 PM »
a couple of coats of Spar Varnish will do a good job................
Find us on Facebook.......

The Duck Blind

Offline Steve Kindschuh

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 04:17:21 PM »
When I first started carving Frank Peeters was still alive. He was giving me some online mentoring and was helping me with a balsa wigeon. He coated all his balsa decoys with a couple coats of epoxy. If I remember right he thinned the first coat to get better penetration. We had talked about making an epoxy impregnated decoy using a vacuum pump. Kind of like the calls you can get from epoxy impregnated wood. If he wouldn't have pbootyed away maybe we could have figured something out. 

As far as epoxy goes I know lots of people use the west system. I think another cheaper option maybe rod builders epoxy finish. I build some of my own fishing poles and have thought about trying it. It comes in smaller quantities than the West system so it's not such a big one time expense. I don't know about you but it's easier for me to come with $20 than $200.

Andy H.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 05:07:04 PM »
Thanks guys...looks like Willys idea will work sinci I have some in my work shop. Perfect!!!

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 05:07:04 PM »

Offline Rob James

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 11:28:58 PM »
Andy, Ya might use some titebond prior to the spar. I've been watering it down to the consistency of latex paint and brushing it on burlapped foamers. It makes em a lot harder. I'd still do like Willy said and use some spar also...
"When you don't know what you're doing it's best to do it quickly" - Jase Robertson

Andy H.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 08:52:01 AM »
Andy, Ya might use some titebond prior to the spar. I've been watering it down to the consistency of latex paint and brushing it on burlapped foamers. It makes em a lot harder. I'd still do like Willy said and use some spar also...

If the bird was coated with titebond what would the spar varnish add to it? I am not questioning your process...just looking into what the advantages/disadvanateges are.  One thing I forgot to say was that this bird will probably hunt once with me and then it will belong to my daughter since she did the main carving on the body, and then it will be a shelf rider for my daughter to keep. Thus, I dont need it as hardened as a working decoy, but I dont want it getting dented when she moves from place to place. Thanks for everyones help!

Offline Rob James

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 10:55:40 AM »
Probably nothing....wasn't really thinking outside my own box. After the TB, I'm applying a couple coats of tile adhesive to foamers so I seal the adhesive w spar.

You said ya want to make it harder, the TB will be harder than spar.
"When you don't know what you're doing it's best to do it quickly" - Jase Robertson

Andy H.

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 07:37:52 PM »
It might fill in a few of our mistakes too ;D ;D

Thanks to everyone for their help!!!