Author Topic: Delta Shopmaster 9" Bandsaw  (Read 1314 times)

Offline BradyL

Delta Shopmaster 9" Bandsaw
« on: February 15, 2013, 10:59:38 AM »
I know I can't use a 9" bandsaw for cutting out bodys, but can it be used for cutting out heads? I found a Delta 9" tabletop bandsaw where I live and the person will take $50 for it, and it's in pristine condition. I figure if it can cut head stock, then it's probably worth having in the shop for $50? What do yall think?

Working Decoys Forum

Delta Shopmaster 9" Bandsaw
« on: February 15, 2013, 10:59:38 AM »

Offline Dave Speer

Re: Delta Shopmaster 9" Bandsaw
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 11:11:07 AM »
If you won't be in the market or budget for a full size saw soon, I say get it!  You can do heads, tail boards, maybe even top views of blocks if the cut is deep enough. 

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 11:11:07 AM »

Offline BradyL

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 11:14:44 AM »
If you won't be in the market or budget for a full size saw soon, I say get it!  You can do heads, tail boards, maybe even top views of blocks if the cut is deep enough. 

Ok good deal. Thanks for the reply.  I'm going to start out on cork, and use whatever I can find best to cut the top and side views out. I'll probably try a coping saw first, and see where that gets me. I just need to get the cork in hand to see what I'm dealing with. I saw this saw on Craigslist and know Delta makes a good saw, and for $50 I knew I didn't want to miss out on a good deal.

Offline Phil Boyles

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 11:15:46 AM »
Shop around on Craigslist and save your money, so you can get what you need the first time.  If you put that $50 bucks towards a 14" saw with a riser block, you only need $450 more or so.  I sold some stuff I could do with out and bought mine.  jmo

Offline BradyL

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 11:19:55 AM »
Shop around on Craigslist and save your money, so you can get what you need the first time.  If you put that $50 bucks towards a 14" saw with a riser block, you only need $450 more or so.  I sold some stuff I could do with out and bought mine.  jmo

I was thinking about that. But I still haven't even carved my first bird yet. So before investing in a $600 saw, I figure I could try this out and start on some heads, and try cutting the cork cut out with a coping saw, or rig something up with a coping saw blade to where it allows me a deeper cut.

Here's what the saw looks like....

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 11:19:55 AM »

Offline Phil Boyles

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 11:22:47 AM »

Offline QuentonL

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 11:32:16 AM »
I'm with Phil on this one... Save your dimes and sell some stuff you don't need so you can buy a 14" with a riser. You are always going to want one, even if you do buy the 9", so pony up and do what you have to do to get your hands on a 14".

I will tell you that my old man has the same bandsaw and is what I used when cutting heads starting out. I thought it was nice at the time but you will have to stop start because the motor isn't strong enough to cut through 2" wide x 3" tall bbootywood. Once I purchased a 14" I realized the 9" was child's play. I was over at his house a couple months back and cut a decoy head on it and it was very frustrating. The motor simply isn't build to cut out decoy heads IMHO. You also can't tension it as much as you can with a 14" and it tends to drift when cutting.

Call or email the lead that Phil provided and see if you can get him down to $350. It doesn't hurt to ask.

BTW - I bought my Jet 14" on craigslist for $300 here in MN. The guy was asking $525 for it and through many discussions he let it go for the $300. However, my friends call me the price line negotiator. Don't be afraid to walk away from the seller and contact them in a couple weeks and don't ever fall in love with it. Always point out the negatives... Good luck.

Offline BradyL

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 11:37:35 AM »
That's a good looking saw and it's already set up with what I need. Dang, I wish I had the extra money for that saw in Orlando. I'd go buy it right now if I could. I just figured, instead of going out to the bar tonight (I'm still young 27  ;D) , I'd save my bar tab and buy a small saw. Looks like I've got a decision to make, lol.

Offline Phil Boyles

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 11:41:06 AM »
Thats just one saw.  Look around the area, I don't know Florida for squat.

killerv

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 11:42:05 AM »
If you can swing 550ish right now....go order you that grizzly 14in ultimate bandsaw with riser, and you'll have it in a week or so.

I'd drop 50 on that other just to have for minis come christmas time

Offline BradyL

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 02:39:31 PM »
If you can swing 550ish right now....go order you that grizzly 14in ultimate bandsaw with riser, and you'll have it in a week or so.

I'd drop 50 on that other just to have for minis come christmas time

I went ahead and picked up that smaller saw. It's in really good shape, and it looks and runs new. I figured for $50, it wouldn't hurt anything. But whenever I do decide to spend the money on a bigger saw, I am going with the 14" Grizzly with the riser kit. I should be able to fit it in my budget in the next couple months, but until then, this one will at least help in cutting out the heads, and whatever else I need a small bandsaw for.  I'm really kicking myself in the teeth right now for selling that old Rockwell 14" saw that I originally got 2 years ago for carving. It sure would've came in handy right about now.  ;D