Author Topic: if you could only have 12 - 15 decoys.....  (Read 21213 times)

Offline Scott Klecka

if you could only have 12 - 15 decoys.....
« on: December 19, 2012, 02:24:24 PM »
What species would you have in it?   Would it be all one species (mallards, Cans,... or several)

For me it would be Cans. I don't have a good puddle duck spot so that kind of takes them out of the mix for me.  
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 02:26:46 PM by Scott Klecka »
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Working Decoys Forum

if you could only have 12 - 15 decoys.....
« on: December 19, 2012, 02:24:24 PM »

Offline Dave Speer

Re: if you could only have 12 - 15 decoys.....
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 02:38:46 PM »
I would have about 10 gadwalls and 5 bluebills.  We shoot mostly grey ducks but get some ringers and other divers come through.

On the coast, I'd have about 10 redheads and 5 bluebills!

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 02:38:46 PM »

Offline DougC

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 04:34:54 PM »
Black ducks.  Everything on the salt marsh will decoy to black ducks.  If I could split it up I'd add pintails.  The white really stands out on foggy or dark days.  Monday we had a terrible fog.  We hunted the barrier islands and for most of the day couldnt see 40yds.  We had the pintails on one side of the boat in the flooded marsh and the black ducks in the gut along the edge.  Even the black ducks keyed in on the drake pintails.

Offline hankyorke

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 04:46:56 PM »
15 Coots, if they had to be the same species and I have them forever.

If I get to pick different species, for me (currently) it would be
2 pair Black Ducks
2 pair Gadwall
2 Drake Pintails
1 pair Ringnecks
2 Drake CGE

I have actually thought about this a lot lately.  The past two years I haven't taken more than 8 decoys at once.  I keep trying to convince myself I don't need all the decoys I have, but I am emotionally attached to all of them.  Even the ones I haven't gunned over yet.  It's sad.
Nobody cares about your "Pro Staff" - Field Staff

Offline D. Fisher

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 05:31:35 PM »
Mallards
Dan

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 05:31:35 PM »

killerv

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 05:34:27 PM »
All coots

Offline John Hackney

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 06:16:29 PM »
Half Bluebill, half Redhead, with 2/3 being drakes.
It's not what people don't know that bothers me.  It's what people do know that isn't acccurate, that bothers me.  Mark Twain

Offline Lloyd Heins

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 09:37:26 PM »
PACIFIC BRANT ;D
The older I get, the better I was...

RickC

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 11:31:11 PM »
I rarely use more than 16, usually 6. If I was to pick I'd have 1 mallard drake 4 mallard hens 2 Pintail drakes, 3 gadwall and 2 herons.

Offline Scott Russell

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Socrates

Offline Brandon Yuchasz

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 11:09:22 AM »
I am really torn on this one. I have two distinct types of hunting I do. Early season puddle ducks and late season divers.

For the early season I would have to have 2 mallards and 2 woodducks for my walk in bag hunting beaver ponds.

Late season I guess I would want a pair of buffies, one Can and eight bluebills.

I hunted North Dakota divers over 2 dozen mixed divers this year and I don't think on the big water with long lines I would want less than that.

How about 15 puddle ducks and as many divers as I care to carve? ;D

Offline tom modin

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 08:26:12 PM »
green wing drakes, if all I could have is one specie.
Decoy carving is not a point and click hobby

Offline Scott Klecka

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 09:31:15 PM »
Ok, this question was a little bit of a set up for an idea I?m putting together.  Let me know what you think. 

Here is the basic idea:

Working Decoys.Net Member Rig Raffle

This is how it would work, to be a part you have to make a decoy (species to be identified or any species depending on what is decided) post a photo of it completed. Then mail the decoy to me. Receipt of the decoy will be your entry into the drawing (so we don't end up with any missing decoys). On a specified date we will draw a name to see who wins the full rig!! I will have some shirts made for everyone who takes part. If a mod or I submit a decoy, we will not be a part of the drawing just to make sure things don't appear to be "fishy".

The way I see it, by submitting a decoy, you stand a chance to win a full rig of custom decoys!! You may end up with foam, wood, cork, canvas and all levels of carvers so it would be a fun rig to use. I don't expect that we will have a huge turnout on doing this so your odds of winning would be something like 1 in 10 to 15....

I know we have carvers of all different levels but I would like to have EVERYONE be comfortable to take part.  You might get some starter level decoys and some that you would be challenged to put in the water in the rig.

We would not do it until later in the year, I?m just trying to gauge interest.  Would you consider taking part in something like this?  Or am I just too far off the wall on this one?  Thoughts? 
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Offline Dave Speer

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 09:55:48 PM »
I'm in, Scott.

RickC

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 10:08:14 PM »
I'm in and will give it my best.