Author Topic: Float tube  (Read 1419 times)

Offline MattW

Float tube
« on: September 12, 2012, 09:37:47 AM »
I just purchased a float tube to float down the river and hunt ducks. Has anyone ever used a float tube for this purpose?  Any tips or tricks for a guy new to this??

Working Decoys Forum

Float tube
« on: September 12, 2012, 09:37:47 AM »

Offline Dave Speer

Re: Float tube
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:50:03 AM »
Don't shoot it!  :D

Haha...

never heard of anyone using a float tube for duck hunting, but I don't see why not.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:50:03 AM »

killerv

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 10:17:14 AM »
It's a big thing on a certain lake in South Georgia. Float tubes everywhere, people will get out in the big water and tie off to something with hopes of killing a canvasback which this lake is known for. I guess they are just a whole lot cheaper than a nice layout boat. Had a hunter on this lake, I believe two season ago, his tube came untied from whatever and he got swept over the damn. Left behind a wife and 1 year old daughter. I know we may push the boundaries sometimes but we've got to ask ourselves if that one canvasback or whatever is worth the danger involved.

Make sure you tie your gun off somewhere to the tube, in case you drop it. I've seen some pretty elaborate setups with pvc frames built around them and all camoed up. Get you a pair of those diver flippers too

Offline Lloyd Heins

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
I'd like to see pic of some of those set ups.  I bet they look pretty cool.
The older I get, the better I was...

Offline Scott Klecka

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 01:13:31 PM »
I have done it a couple of times on a big lake and it is hard to move and harder to shoot unless you can touch the bottom.  It is sitting in my attic and I don't see it coming out anytime soon. 
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 01:13:31 PM »

Offline MattW

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 03:17:06 PM »
I tried it yesterday. It worked out ok. It's river wasn't very fast. Probably 1-2 mph, saw some black ducks and what looked to me like specklebellies but they shouldn't be in the Atlantic flyway.

Oh well, it will definitely be a fishing / warm water waterfowl tube.

Offline HJW

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 12:02:01 PM »
They work, but not ideal. Invest in a cheap kayak. It will work a lot better for you.