Author Topic: 2012 Habitat work begins.  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Brandon Yuchasz

2012 Habitat work begins.
« on: February 13, 2012, 11:12:20 PM »
I generally post these things up on Michigan Duck Hunters Board. I am really big on trying to do my part on habitat work and nesting structures. I thought you guys might find it intesting. If nothing else the southern boys can see what winter looks like up North!

In the last few years spring has caught me flat footed and I have not made it to all my nesting boxes and tubes before the ice melted. This year I plan to get them all done well ahead of time. So this weekend I decided we needed to take a little family trip to the woods and visit "Madi's Pond".

I put in with the help of the kids 4 boxes on this pond and that was back in 2009. I was still experimenting with materials to use back then and was trying to get by with thin wall conduit for poles. I think I was using 1" dia. The two boxes put in on the poles did not survive the first year and the other two boxes that were installed on tree's with sheet metal flashing guards did not get checked because of unsafe ice. This was the first time since then that we have checked the boxes cleaned them and placed cedar shavings in them.

Here is box number 1.

This box showed signs of multiple uses. through the years. Hoodies and Wood Ducks. Considering conventional wisdom is that if a box is not cleaned out a new hen will not use it. Its generally accepted that only the hen from the previous year will re use it. Guess it goes to show you what be believe to be true is not always relayed the the animals we believe it about. Even though there were three unhatched eggs there was a successful hatch last year. The membranes were still easy to see. 

The next box is a special one for me and my Daughter. We put it up years ago together. Total round trip on snow shoes was 1/2 mile. plus the 5 miles in on snowmobile. Its her box. She built it and we installed it. I was excited to see how it had done. Turns out it also had multiple years of use. They all appear to have been Hoodies. "Mohawks" are one of her favorites anyway so that was fine by her.

Here is a picture of her at the time of install.

Here she is now no longer a baby. Turning into a little girl. Breaks my heart and makes me proud all at the same time!

Working Decoys Forum

2012 Habitat work begins.
« on: February 13, 2012, 11:12:20 PM »

Offline larry A

Re: 2012 Habitat work begins.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 05:44:52 AM »
Brandon Loved hearing your adventure. You and the Kids should really be proud getting to do those things. That is quite a trip out to your spot.

Larry A

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 05:44:52 AM »

Offline Derek and Xena

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 11:56:32 AM »
Thanks for posting that Brandon.  I need to get out and do something like that!
"But if you admire waterfowl, even love them in that sense no one but a hunter can understand, welcome to the club."  - Zack Taylor

Offline HoganJ

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 07:09:42 PM »
You must be a lot further north in MI than me.  We have a bit of lawn showing through the snow and sketchy ice.

Offline Tom Wood

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 09:26:46 PM »
Brandon
What a great way to spend time with you daughter.  Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!Like you I try to keep my daughter intrerested in the the out doors and conservation. Wait til she brings her first boyfriend home It will really break your heart....

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 09:26:46 PM »

Offline Brandon Yuchasz

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:37:46 PM »
Tom that is just mean!!! JK.

I am glad you guys like the post. Something different to fill in the slow winter time.

I am pretty far north. Much farther and we are in Lake Superior.

Offline Brandon Yuchasz

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 09:44:04 PM »
I wish I had taken pictures of how we all got out to the boxes. Fairly humorous looking. I don't know how many of you are familiar with a Skidoo Tundra. Its a favorite snowmobile with trappers because of how light weight an strong it is. It has a single cylinder 250cc motor and is the simplest machine I have ever worked on. Anyway we had Laura and I on it and the kids in tow in a "cat cutter" which is a tow behind on skis. Picture a side car for two kids but on skis behind the snowmobile. I am sure the few "sledheads" we pbootyed on the trails were shaking there heads at the crazy yoopers. :evil:

Chances are Ill be going to more of the boxes this weekend. I really want to stay ahead of mother nature this season.

Offline Ryan S.

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 07:53:14 PM »
Great post Brandon! I have a few more boxes I plan on adding this spring as well.

Offline Bryan Girolami

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 09:57:34 AM »
Brandon,

If you guys all go out again you have got to get a picture of the Yooper duck house run with you guys all on the snow machine.  Thats got to be a clbootyic with 4 people making there way with one small snowmobile.

Offline JonZ

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 03:29:28 PM »
That's just the motivation I need. I built my first duck boxes this week and was just needing a bit of motivation to get out this weekend and put em up in the swamp... Hope they see some use.

Offline Brandon Yuchasz

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 10:12:30 PM »
Jon,
Good luck with them. Don't get discouraged if you don't have use the first year. I think I only had 10% use the first year and around 30% the second year. Now I have over 90% each year in my boxes. It takes time for some reason for them to start using them.

I will take some more pics when I get out next week.

Offline JonZ

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 09:21:18 PM »
Got the first 2 up. Think I will do 2 more, it was a fun way to spend a morning  ;D

Offline todd cocker

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 11:29:39 PM »
Thanks for posting the pictures. The VA. Waterfowlers' bootyociation hosted a FREE woodduck box building workshop the other weekend at the Gander Mtn. store in Richmond, VA. Some of the participants have already put their woodduck boxes up.

Offline todd cocker

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 11:30:27 PM »

Offline todd cocker

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 11:31:34 PM »