Author Topic: school wood shop project  (Read 1224 times)

Offline larry A

school wood shop project
« on: January 11, 2012, 08:18:22 AM »
Just another old story, When I was in the eighth grade I needed a project for a wood shop clbooty. Since I lived on a creek off of the Chesapeake Bay and loved to hunt ducks and geese. My idea for the shop project was to make one dozen decoys. My shop teacher rejected the idea at first stating that his was a woodshop clbooty and not a whittling clbooty.  After seeing my sketch for the stacked 1 inch x 8 inch thick cedar decoy body construction with a plan and elevation view, he agreed that it could be a wood shop project. But all twelve decoys were to be finished in the standard wood shop stain and varnish, and each be exactly the same size and could be measured for accuracy to a dimensioned drawing for grading purposes. The wood used was rough cedar siding boards which were much less expensive than cherry or maple lumber used for making the other shop projects, such as coffee tables or book cases. The shop tools utilized were the table saw, band saw, glue stand and finishing table. The project was completed on time with probably a C+.  When I got these shiny things home I painted them with a flat canvasback pattern, hooked up the anchor lines and attached some keel weights made from old auto battery lead. That wood shop project made me a nice set of decoys.

Thanks Larry A

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 11:32:36 AM by larry A »

Working Decoys Forum

school wood shop project
« on: January 11, 2012, 08:18:22 AM »

Offline Andre' B.

Re: school wood shop project
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 06:40:33 PM »
That is pretty sweet to still have! I'd love to see those birds! COOL ~Andre

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 06:40:33 PM »

Offline larry A

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 07:18:38 PM »
Andre, My parents sold the creek house and moved to Florida in the fifties and I don't where those decoys ever wound up. I just made a similar one recently from the old plans. They looked about like this before attaching the heads.

Larry A

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:25:45 PM by larry A »

Offline BoBB

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 11:06:03 PM »

Larry,

Thats cool,now lets see it with the head on and dressed.

Bob Badtke

Everyday is a good day!
Everyday is a great day!

Offline larry A

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 11:36:09 PM »
BoBB, Here is a photo of that hollow stacked decoy dressed for work nothing fancy, canvas back paint pattern, anchor loop and ring, also with the lead keel installed.
Larry A

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 11:36:09 PM »

Offline Andre' B.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 01:10:17 AM »
The history you've got there is awesome. That bird is incredibly stylized. I'll tell you one thing, for 8th grade you sure could draw up a pattern!

Offline larry A

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 06:15:56 AM »
Andre' thanks , I used to study the ( how to ) soap carving pattern books and the Popular Mechanics magazines back then at the local library. I would dwell over the pages and articles with prospective and isometric  drawings views  divided into cubes for clarity.Those decoys I made in that 8th grade shop clbooty were nice and light compared to the workers that I had chopped from solid tree truck blocks.

Larry A