Author Topic: Camo paints to actually hide a boat  (Read 4718 times)

Offline Ernie Roberts

Camo paints to actually hide a boat
« on: December 11, 2011, 03:05:03 PM »
After years of gunning and seeing a bazillion different paint jobs on hunting boats I've yet (other than Steve's) that Actually blends with the surrounding environment. We typically pull our 20' Alaskan into the dead golden coloured reeds along the shoreline and set the blind up. Although I painted the boat this year with Lou tischs #33 open water medium grey paint with lighter grey to break it up, I'd like to get a paint to match the dead feeds that Actually matches that. Companies that sell "dull dead grbooty" must be smoking some bad grbooty or my eyes are fooling me because it certainly doesn't look like any dead grbooty I've ever been around in the bays or marshes when plants die off in the fall. What do you guys use for paints ?? Thank you all in advance. Ernie
Men are from Mars, Women from Visa

Working Decoys Forum

Camo paints to actually hide a boat
« on: December 11, 2011, 03:05:03 PM »

Offline RLigman

Re: Camo paints to actually hide a boat
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 07:04:04 PM »
Parkers offers a variety of dead grbooty colors. Get a piece of Mylar and make your own stencil. When I did my Poke boat, I used some very light Rust-oleum colors on the initial spray and then moved the stencil slightly and oversprayed with the dead grbooty colors. This gave a very light high-light on the edge of the grbooty pattern.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 07:04:04 PM »

Offline Ryan S.

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 09:04:02 PM »
Paint will almost never perfectly match your surroundings. Fake grbooty painted/dyed to your surroundings along with straps for some natural vegetation is the only way to disappear.

Offline jasomer

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 10:44:36 PM »
Wonder if flocking would work on a duck boat like the decoys?  Lol.
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, but glory lasts forever.

Offline Ernie Roberts

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 05:14:32 AM »
I've never had very good luck with Parker duck boat paints. It was still really soft after a month of summer heat that you could score easily with your finger nail so I never used it afterwards. Although I use tank netting on the EMT frame then fasten fast grbooty to that and it does blend fairly well I just wondered if any of you guys had ever found a boat paint that was close to the reed colour and it doesn't sound like you have either. Thanks for the replies.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 05:14:32 AM »

Offline Scott Klecka

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 10:25:40 AM »
The problem is that the reeds are still changing color.  Right now, the grbooty around here is mostly tan but there is still some green in it.  In a few weeks the green will be gone but the tan will continue to change.  I grbootyed my boat and it will blend in well in a few weeks but right now it is more tan than the grbooty islands. 
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Offline Ernie Roberts

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 08:16:15 AM »
Thanks Scott. The marshes up here lost their green well over a month ago and dark tan is where they are now. I suppose the actually colour of the boat for my style of gunning isn't as important as the blind itself because the foliage material hangs down to almost the waterline anyways. After talking with many of the local guides running big water rigs they all seem to agree that trying to hide a rig in the Open water away from any cover cedar cover works as good as anything but good ol fast grbooty still dominates if pulled in along the shoreline in late fall. So I will leave my boat painted as it is with Lou's #33 grey and weld up a nice blind for next year.

Offline Scott Klecka

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 02:48:49 PM »
You could always go with a different look:

I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Offline jasomer

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 05:41:10 PM »
That is different.  Looks great Scott!
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, but glory lasts forever.

Offline Jimw

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 09:44:01 AM »
I'm a big fan of Nat Gear. I bought the paint from Lou Tisch. It seems to be a great all around pattern.

Offline Mark Spolarich

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 02:49:13 PM »
That camo looks great Scott! Perfectly matches the shoreline, nice job.......
Mark Spolarich

Offline Rutgers

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 04:06:33 PM »
Lou can make FME in any color you want.  It is the only paint I'll ever put on a boat.

Offline Brian S

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 08:08:33 PM »
I own an 18' Alaskan that I did a complete overhaul on in 2008.  After a fair amount of searching I decided to get NatGear colors from Lou Tisch & LS&B.  As stated above, its a good "all around" color combination.  I don't have the boat set up for marsh hunting (thats what the smaller jon boat and fastgrbooty is for); rather, I use it for diver hunting on big water or rock shorelines.  The ability to blend in on open water is dependent on the sun/cloud cover.  However, the NatGear greys and browns allow it near perfectly blend in along mud cutbanks and rock shorelines.  Once I get on my own computer I'll try to get a few photos up. 

Offline Brian S

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 11:46:29 PM »
Well, I couldn't find any "one-the-water" photos but here are a couple of what it looks like.

These are old photos, there have since been several modifications made to the boat since the photos were taken.  If you were wondering, the big rod rack if for catfishing.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 11:52:01 PM by Brian S »

Offline David K.

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 06:11:49 PM »
I've always thought most camouflage patterns are either too busy with lots of small detail that ends up looking like one solid color at a distance or they have too much large patches that are obvious from a distance. I prefer to use die cut leaf camo in a green color and then zip tie clumps of tan rafia on to it but not too much like the shaggy blinds. I have yet to find a area this won't blend in to either with winter green grbooty or summer time dead and brown (we do things backwards here in California).