Author Topic: How practical are carved birds for shore hunts?  (Read 2688 times)

Offline JonZ

How practical are carved birds for shore hunts?
« on: December 04, 2011, 12:58:36 PM »
Really impressed with the decoys you all make, and will definitely try it this winter, but I am wondering what is the best approach for walk in hunting? I don't own a boat (and don't want to at this point because I will be moving within a year)...

So my big question is : how many can you all carry at a time, and what material lends its self to being bagged and dragged?  ;D

Working Decoys Forum

How practical are carved birds for shore hunts?
« on: December 04, 2011, 12:58:36 PM »

Offline Ryan S.

Re: How practical are carved birds for shore hunts?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 09:43:15 PM »
There are so many variables.... How far you walking? What species are you targeting?

I prefer a small, realistic spread that consists mostly of the species I am targeting.

If your serious about "bagging and dragging", I would stick to plastiods.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 09:43:15 PM »

Offline JonZ

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 11:33:47 PM »
Yes sir, I try to keep my decoys happy, but I am hunting from foot, and the spots I am getting into require a bit of walking, sometimes a mile, sometimes a bit more.  Its not too hard of a walk usually, but I was more concerned about the condition of the decoys after a season of that.

Guess I can carve decoys and just look at em until i get a boat  ;)

Offline Ed Heinlein

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 12:04:58 AM »
A couple of other things you may wish to consider is using one of those plastic sleds (I can't remember the mfgr). They are extremely tough and come in many sizes. Or.....use a game cart if you have access to one. I have one of the Cabelas units and you can easily haul 1/2 a dozen-12 slot bags on it. Course, if your having to bushwack to your spot neither of these would work so well. I find the foamers I make to be more bulky than heavy. I thinking that if you make some quality decoys, target the species, and are in an area that is either lightly hunted, or not particularly large in surface area.....a half a dozen would be all you need!!

Offline Brandon Yuchasz

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 12:05:05 AM »
My walk in rig is all hand carved decoys now. It consists of two mallards a black duck and two either woodies or hoodies depending on the time of year and my whim. They are all cedar and hollowed as much as possible without compromising the strength. All five fit into a backpack with a jerk cord. I throw a handful of shells into the pocket along with calls and a facemask and off I got to hunt. Its a very enjoyable way to hunt. These hunts are all on beaver ponds usually before work just me and the dog.

I also at times carry a 6 slot back into hunts with a selection of hand carves. Can be anything from mallards, teals and a pin. To all bluebills (used to hunt ringers). Those bills are solid cedars from my diver rig and will be replaced with hollowed ringers next season.

It can be done but your probably not going to want to carry in more then 6, maybe 12 in the right bags.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 12:05:05 AM »

Offline RickyO

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 04:28:27 PM »
My experience with the foam has been great. I do a lot of walk/hike in hunts, and they don't seem to wear to much faster than the regular plastics. Maybe an additional touchup at the end of the season (but this is needed with all decoys).

The foam can be lighter than regular plastics if the correct steps are taken (i.e. no keel or very small keel).

Offline JonZ

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 05:04:20 PM »
I just found a great walk in spot, that the ducks just can't seem to ignore... so my goal for next season will be to have a half dozen of my own decoys for that spot...  ;D

killerv

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 08:01:14 PM »
About a half dozen is all I can carry to my walk in spot, sometimes I'll strap a 7th on the top of the bag. Got lost on a walk in WMA hunt once, hunting with a guy who had been deer hunting it and found a bunch of birds, well, he got us lost coming out, I carried a 6slot bag for about 2 hours before we found the road on the way out. It sucked.

Offline RLigman

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 03:10:18 PM »
If its "skinny water" you can increase the size of your spread without a marked weight increase by cutting and painting your own silhouette decoys. They work well in a mixed spread.

Offline David K.

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 09:32:06 AM »
I've been walk in hunting with foamers only for about 3 seasons now. They hold up just fine and you can carry just as many as you would plastics.

Offline Rob James

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 11:44:30 AM »
A couple of other things you may wish to consider is using one of those plastic sleds (I can't remember the mfgr).

They are called "Jet Sleds". http://www.shappell.com/sleds.html
They work great and they can even be used to drag across water if not too over loaded. I've actually used these to lay out in shallow water and as strange as it sounds, they can be extremely effective...
"When you don't know what you're doing it's best to do it quickly" - Jase Robertson

Offline David K.

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 05:10:09 PM »
Rob that's a cool looking spread! Jet sleds are the way to go. Many of the guys out here in Claifornia use the Cabelas MagHauler game carts which perfectly hold a medium sized Jet Sled. I have one of their XL sleds and built a cart for it. The XL sled is huge I can fit two 12 slot bags next to each other and a large duffle behind them and still have room for a few dozen silos.

Offline lord bailey

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 09:26:52 AM »
I use a sled on walkin hunts. The one I have is not big enough to layout in but works great as a dryspot to lay  my gun and other stuff whne hunting shallow water when there is not a convenient island or rat house to use. I sit on a bucket in the weeds with the sled next to me.

Offline Ryan S.

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 09:14:39 AM »
Rob- Can you tell us more about that silo coot spread?

Offline RC

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 11:44:12 AM »
I made a small cart out of a bike tire, some conduit and an old clothes drying rack a few years ago.  I can carry 12 goose floaters, 12 duck decoys and my gear.  Although I usually don't carry that much, it has the capacity.  If you load it over the tire all you really need to do is push.  It works well on the hard sandy bottom, but prop wouldn't do much in the muck.  I throw it behind me in the cattails and it hides great.  These are all plastic birds but you could still use the same method for hand carved.

If I carry in, I usually can fit 3-4 in my bag and one more on each side held by a neck strap.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 11:46:54 AM by RC »