Author Topic: Post your bag/harvest  (Read 24948 times)

Offline David K.

Post your bag/harvest
« on: November 23, 2011, 03:36:36 PM »
I always like seeing what guys shoot around the country so figured it would be cool if we had a running thread showing some tailgate/strap results. Two of my trips this year. I must say it's been MUCH BETTER than usual for me so far this year!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 12:38:32 PM by David K. »

Working Decoys Forum

Post your bag/harvest
« on: November 23, 2011, 03:36:36 PM »

Offline C.Davis

Re: Post your bags
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 09:37:31 AM »
Those are great pictures!

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 09:37:31 AM »

Offline David K.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 10:15:18 AM »
Thanks, I posted them elsewhere on here. Don't want to double post but I really think it would be cool to see a running thread of what we all get over our handmade deeks this year.

Andy H.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 12:18:36 PM »
Very impressed with those photos!

Offline cogar

Re: Post your bag/harvest
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 12:54:35 PM »
Awesome pictures.  Keep em coming

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 12:54:35 PM »

Offline H beeman

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 01:00:11 PM »
Nice pictures. I really like the woodies and mallards.

Offline Jeffrey Pentz

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 08:14:50 PM »
Hold it on 'em.

Offline Lloyd Heins

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 01:00:06 PM »
Harvested this guy on the last evening of my 2011 Colorado Elk hunt.

Oops!  Did ya wanna see something in waterfowl?  2011 Opening day.  My first limit of Greenheads since I was a kid.  (30+ years)
The older I get, the better I was...

Offline Steve W

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 05:00:53 PM »
Well I like to wait till the migrations ON later the better for me.I like mallards and honks..  
Got ONE morning in,it froze solid that night 1 1/2" thick ice... But it was a blast while it lasted.7 shells 7 birds for me.
 My buddy kept complaining the birds are to close. Fun time beeing someone NOT used to close action. Good time razz'n him for shooting suzies and not picking out the BIG geese...All in all one of the best days yet... The decoys worked good..

This is what we had the next morning..
We busted ice and tossed out just a few. Ended up with a couple honks but NOTHING like the day before..
YES those are plastic dingdong geese...I called em disposable and teased Dan about shooting them rather than pick'm up..

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 05:03:46 PM by Steve W »
NO COOKIE CUTTERS......................

Offline Bowe

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 11:20:24 PM »
Well, I try to hunt the morning fly-outs and it seems many ducks get away. Mainly because I am a terrible shot at pbooty-shooting them due to a lack of lead (LEAD not lead.) So no ducks fell to me around my neck of the woods. However, switch over to the guided hunt on Pool 8 of the Mississippi River-I was putting ducks down like the Grim Reaper. There were a lot of swans as well, but very few geese-flying anyways. But our group still lost two ducks, a shoveler and a mallard. Sadly, there were no mounters-despite their being a quad curl drake and two triple curlers.
I think the four man group ended with:
-8 Mallards (5 D, 3 H)
-4 Canvasbacks (2 D, 2 H)
-2 Gadwall (0 D, 2 H)
-1 Shoveler (1 D, 0 H)

Offline Aaron

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 07:05:55 PM »
Here's a few from the long weekend

"What we carry for weapons may vary, and how we hunt might be different, but what we carry in our heart is the same-we're all hunters."-Gene Wensel
UMA DOG Decoys

Offline B Bond

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 08:10:58 PM »
Great pics so far, everyone.  This season has been off to an extremely slow start.  I've hunted every day, and so far this is my best day.  Only saw 6 ducks in 5 hours, and I'm pretty sure that I shot the only two drakes in a 20 mile radius from the scouting I've done.  This week last year, I had a hunt where a buddy and I shot our limit of greenheads with bonus black duck drakes.  I hope they move down at some point!

I flocked all my plastic greenheads, and I was able to finish a swimmer foam decoy.  Both pairs of mallards were back peddling right on top of the swimmer.  Some of that is just where I put the swimmer is right in the honey hole, but having some ripples in there doens't hurt.

Offline Lloyd Heins

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 10:59:54 PM »
My modified Herter 92's (brant) looked really good on the water today.  It was a test to see if I liked them and what future changes might be in store.  Yep, already planning some.  I like them way better then my carrylites however both have there pro's and con's.  My goal for 2012 will be to have my own custom carved foam rig. 

Hunted solo with Abby and limited out with 2 nice adult birds  (sorry phone camera sucks)

This nice Male was banded in Liverpol B, Northwest Territories, Canada on 08/02/1996  (yep, 15yrs old :D)

Offline DakotaJ

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 11:56:09 PM »
Do you really need that many decoys to hunt brant? if so i need to forget carving any duck and start carving brant.
?They'll have to shoot me first to take my gun?
 Roy Rogers

Offline Lloyd Heins

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 10:06:21 AM »
I really don't think so but many spreads here can be freakin' huge.  Guys try and get as much color (black and white) out there as they can.  (For some reason larger spreads "seem" to pull birds off of smaller ones...)  My goal for creating my own brant army will be an army of 3 dozen.  That should be more than enough for me.  It's not just about numbers of decoys but I think location and decoy placemnt is key.  You've got to be where the birds what to be.  It took me 30 min to set up 3 doz. yesterday and that's not too bad.  2 1/2 deeks were on long lines.  I hunted out of my layout blind and I loved it.  We've used wickies(sp) for years (and still do) but they aren't nearly as good.