Author Topic: Setting eyes filling holes and so on.. Got a question on plastic wood.  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Brandon Yuchasz

Alright so here it is.

I have up to this point been setting my eyes with latex wood filler and using it to smooth head to body when needed. Problem is it seems to shrink when it dries so I spend lots of nights refilling and sanding to get it filled correctly. Also risking scratching the eyes when sanding around them over and over.

So I moved over to a plastic wood. This stuff is for lack of a better word oil based. I am using DAP brand plastic wood it says its cellulose fibre filled what every that means. I am using mineral spirits to keep it workable with a brush but its not workable. It get grainy for lack of a real word.  I know I have read that others are doing it this way but oviously I missed something.

Guess what I am wondering is do I have the wrong stuff? Is there better options for setting eyes I dont know about?

Any and all help would be great..

Working Decoys Forum

Offline Brian Nilson

I also use apoxie sculpt it work better than anything else I have tried.

Brian
There?s nothing like watching cupped wings drop into a spread of decoys you made yourself.

Working Decoys Forum

Offline Scott Klecka

I changed from wood filler to apoxie sculpt.  Much better but make sure you work it while it is still soft because it gets very hard when it is set. 
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Offline Scott Russell

Apoxie Sculpt here also.  I do use Tuff Carve to set the eyes because it sets up in about 5 minutes but all the lid work and shaping around the eye I use AP.  Love the long working time because I am SLOW when I do the eyes.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Socrates

Offline Mike F.

I drill the eyes before i cut the head out so i have a hole all the way through and i'll use the plastic wood to fill the void and set the eyes but i also use AS to do the lids much longer working time and as Don said use a wet brush to smooth no sanding needed

Mike
Andy tell's me to go gring some cork i'll feel better.

Working Decoys Forum

BobM

Apoxy sculpt is best for setting eyes and sculpting eye rings smooths with water great stuff .
Bob

Offline Brandon Yuchasz

Thanks everyone. I will order some. Im bootyuming I want the natural color? How large of a container if I plan to carve 30 decoys a year.

Offline Scott Russell

I just bought the 1 lb size but I think it comes in a 4 oz size also from Van Dyke's.... but I'm not sure  you could get 30 decoys out of of the 4 oz.  It is a two part compound that you have to mix so in the 1 lb size each container is 8 oz.  That is plenty and should last you a couple of years or more if you are just doing eyes.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Socrates