Author Topic: Decoy Picture Contest  (Read 13846 times)

killerv

Re: Decoy Picture Contest
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2012, 02:31:14 PM »
Should I really be shooting turkeys flying since they are a bird and have wings?

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2012, 02:31:14 PM »

Offline Rob James

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2012, 02:44:39 PM »
but I wouldn't waterswat him...

You da man, Matt!!!

Should I really be shooting turkeys flying since they are a bird and have wings?

Nah, just shoot 'em with an arrow...anybody that can sneak within 30 yards of a 150 clbooty bedded buck, ought to be able to handle that???
"When you don't know what you're doing it's best to do it quickly" - Jase Robertson

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2012, 02:44:39 PM »

killerv

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2012, 02:52:45 PM »
should a squirrel be on the ground, in a tree, or jumping limb to limb when you shoot it?

killerv

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2012, 02:57:16 PM »
Here are 8 waterswats! I'll waterswat the heck out of a bird, my partner too!

Offline Scott Klecka

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2012, 03:01:36 PM »
should a squirrel be on the ground, in a tree, or jumping limb to limb when you shoot it?

Any of the above but blasting the nest over and over until it falls out might be a bit much.   :o

I have found that killing a duck on the water is harder than in the air unless you get a head shot.  Either way is a personal preferance, I don't think either view is wrong.  In either case the bird is in the decoys which is the "goal" just a matter of "how far in"
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2012, 03:01:36 PM »

Offline Rob James

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2012, 03:07:24 PM »

That one takes my vote...dandy photo, right there!
"When you don't know what you're doing it's best to do it quickly" - Jase Robertson

Offline CaleG

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2012, 09:25:02 AM »
My comments were of a "kidding" nature.....or so I thought.
I got that Ed, as were mine (comments). I often wonder when I'm typing something in a joking manner if it will end up perceived that way or other wise.

Swatting anything with wings on the ground/water with a shotgun outside of cripples is just not my idea of sport...I don't feel the need to kill anything that badly. I know there are plenty of folks out there that don't see things the same way, and to each their own. This is the way I was raised, and the way I raise my kids.

Personally, I enjoy a challenge, and waterfowling provides many. Selecting the right gear, the right spot, finishing difficult birds?the list goes on, but wing shooting is a top the list. Making a good shot on a difficult presentation makes you proud?if it doesn?t you should see a Dr. but ya might already be dead. How could anyone feel any amount of pride in water swatting anything with a shotgun?ya can?t miss. Again, to each, their own, but to me, that?s just killing and nothing more.

Nobody here is doing this for the sole purpose of providing food. That is non sense, it's all about the sport, and I just try to keep that aspect in the fore front. If we were in need of no more than food, we would spend our money on it directly rather than hunting licenses, permits, guns, ammo, boats, decoys, fuel, etc., etc. Besides all of that, let's face it, ducks don?t make the best table fare money can buy.

This thread is now about as far off track as it can be?anyone else have any ?decoy photos? to share?

If you hunt public land in GA, getting a bird in the decoys is the hardest part.  Once I do, sitting, flying, swimming, diving, making love to one another, I don't care - I'm killing em.  Not many people here know what a decoying bird is - very sad what one has to go through to get good decoying shots down here because so many people shoot at them.  The "sport" of it in my neck of the woods is having a good set up, good seclusion, and a good spread, to get birds in range.  Requires a LOT of homework, scouting etc. I take em how I can get em.

Now back to the decoy pictures point of this thread.
Cale Giddens

Prodigy Boats Pro Staff
Wire Grbooty Custom Calls Field Staff

cale@prodigyboats.com

www.prodigyboats.com

Offline Rob James

« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2012, 07:17:27 PM »
Inside the bird is a Skoal can of ashes of his late dog Lexa.
and the dog in the photo is out of one of Lexas early pups.
The way he's looking so intently at that decoy, I can't help but wonder if that dog senses his grandmother inside it...

Offline Andrew Hampton

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2012, 02:04:41 PM »
The last fella that took the shot (in his mid 30's), did so while I was out in the boat pushing birds on a slow day.

I am new to the forum so I hate that one of my first posts is of this nature, but setting aside for now the moral judgements regarding watter swatting, I am surprised that no one else has pointed out that "pushing birds" with a boat is against federal law.

Perhaps I simply misunderstood what was meant...

Offline Ed Heinlein

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2012, 12:18:16 AM »
I am surprised that no one else has pointed out that "pushing birds" with a boat is against federal law.

Doesn't that depend on the means of propulsion? I thought there was a difference between a boat under mechanized (motorized) propulsion as opposed to non motorized?

Offline Andrew Hampton

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2012, 08:54:45 AM »
Based on my reading of the law, I think you can pole or row a boat in order to stir up the birds, but you definitely cannot be under power or sail.

Offline Rob James

« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2012, 11:42:10 AM »
Doesn't that depend on the means of propulsion?
I was hoping that due to the distasteful route that this thread has taken (primarily due to my own ignorant injection of morality), that it would just "go away", but being the "criminal", I should take it from here, Ed, but Thanks, bud!
Based on my reading of the law, I think you can pole or row a boat in order to stir up the birds, but you definitely cannot be under power or sail.
Andrew, first I'd like to welcome you to the site. I'm not sure what your interpretation is of what you think I meant, but you are correct in your estimation of the law as I understand it. Waterfowl can not be intentionally "harrbootyed" by any means. Waterfowl may not be shot from a boat under any form of motorized propulsion. I'm not sure if by "pushing" you interpret that as "shooting" or otherwise "harrbootying". I primarily hunt on a somewhat narrow river system and when it's cold enough to freeze the surrounding (stagnant) sources, most waterfowl will end up on the river. It is impossible to run the river by means of motorized boat w/o "pushing" the birds off of the river ahead of you. whether I'm scouting an area, or headed back to the ramp, the birds between myself and where I'm going are "pushed". That my new friend, is not a breach of any laws that I am aware of.
I am new to the forum so I hate that one of my first posts is of this nature
Being new to the forum shouldn?t determine whether you feel ?right? about the nature of your posts. I?m just glad you found us, and it?s good to see you are making new friends?

There have been several threads here on WD in the past month that have gotten a little ?chippy? and I know that the administrators are doing their very best to avoid this type of interaction and simply provide us a fun place to exchange our stories, tips, tactics, methods, etc., etc. and at the same time inflict a level of camaraderie. So rather than making the mistake (for the second time) of involving myself in threads of this nature, I would much rather take it up via PM?s if you feel the need to continue this discussion regarding my ?moral conflict?.