Author Topic: Decoy Picture Contest  (Read 21430 times)

Offline tom modin

Decoy Picture Contest
« on: October 22, 2011, 08:49:10 AM »
I have not forgotten my promise last year of providing this years bird especially while online since the great bird I got last year looks at me all the time waiting to float soon. Have not picked a bird yet but am pretty sure it will be a diver, or maybe a gaddy. Whatever it is I will not start working on it until hunting season so I can work on the head while scanning the skies for ducks. At those times it does pay off to have a birdy dog that lets you know to ease up for a look by thumping his tail against the boat or blind.

here is a good photo hopefully not the last I enter. It is an older bird of mine carved for a close friend. Inside the bird is a Skoal can of ashes of his late dog Lexa. One of her last great retrieves was on the same body of water in NoDak. he has not been back to NoDak since Lexa has pbootyed and the dog in the photo is out of one of Lexas early pups. Too me it made a great story and as you can tell by the photo Lexa's bird has been taken off the mantle and gunned a few times.

Decoy carving is not a point and click hobby

Working Decoys Forum

Decoy Picture Contest
« on: October 22, 2011, 08:49:10 AM »

Offline DakotaJ

Re: Decoy Picture Contest
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 10:17:10 PM »
?They'll have to shoot me first to take my gun?
 Roy Rogers

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 10:17:10 PM »

Offline Ronnie

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 06:53:56 AM »
Tom, that is a fantastic pic!
Contrary to belief, nobody owes you anything!

Offline Scott Klecka

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 11:04:11 AM »
Thanks Tom.

Consider this the official thread.  Simple set of rules:

post photo of your handmade decoys working.

Handmade is defined by anything you didnt buy in the store.  they can be molded, carved, made of anything you want.
Working can be on the water or a dead bird photo / decoy & gun / Decoy & Dog / ........

We will pick a few and let the membership vote on the winner.  As Tom said, he gets to pick the prize.  The best way to do the prize is to let the winner make the prize for the following year.  If you are not comfortable with making the prize, we will figure out a different option so don't be afraid to enter if you are just starting to carve and you don't think your decoys measure up. 

This tends to be a great thread to keep our minds off of work  ;D while we look at decoys doing what they do. 

PS  If I have time, I may try to put together a 2012 Working Decoys calendar based on the photos submitted.  So if you do post a photo on this thread consider it your permission for me to use it in the calendar. 
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Offline Ryan S.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 08:15:07 PM »
How many pics can we post for the contest?

Here is one from the other day.... we knew we would get a few mallards so I grabbed a black in hopes of enticing some "others"

EDIT: Tom, that picture is incredible.... should be in a frame
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:17:07 PM by Ryan S. »

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 08:15:07 PM »

Offline Scott Klecka

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 08:56:28 PM »
no rule on it = no limit.   ;D

The main idea is to just get a bunch of decoy / hunting photos posted for people to look at.  the prize is just a motivator.

Offline Josh R

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 10:09:04 PM »
I'll have some pics up in two weeks or so when the middle zone opens in Missouri.   ;D

BobM

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 11:07:30 PM »
These scoters were  shot this weekend by Farrukh Ashraf owner of the decoys I designed for his seaduck rig .
BobM

Offline QuentonL

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 12:44:50 PM »
Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic but here is the ride back. First time I ever hunted over my own carved decoys.

Offline MLBob Furia

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 12:03:50 AM »
Palm fronds at work:

Frond pickleweeds mixed in with a late season goose spread:

MLBob
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:21:17 AM by MLBob Furia »
MLBob

Offline tom modin

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 09:24:44 AM »
come on MLBob you cannot be using last years photos for this years contest ;D ;D :o

Offline Scott Klecka

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 11:42:15 PM »
come on MLBob you cannot be using last years photos for this years contest ;D ;D :o

I guess he can, I didn't say anything about it in the rules.   :o

Offline tom modin

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »
I was just yanking his chain, I remember those photos well. They were some of my favorites of working birds.

Had a camera in the blind today caught a decoy at a good angle.

Offline MLBob Furia

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 09:37:26 PM »
O.K.  ??? ???

So I open my e-mail this evening to find a perplexing apology from Tom. My first thought is: "Does this guy have me confused with someone else?"

So I go to this forum (where the p.m. is from) and search through a bunch of categories I may have posted in. Can't find anything; still can't for the life of me figure out what's up. ???

So I search Tom's profile and hit the "show users latest posts" thingy. Aha! - something in that post pictures of your decoys being hunted thread! Takes me another 5 minutes to loacate where that thread is.... and see that my photos are gone.  Ooooops.

Sorry to disappoint all you guys who had your "eyes on the prize," but I wasn't mad at anyone..... It's just that I clean out my Photobucket account on a regular basis since I don't like to store my photos there - I  just use it to upload & post on websites that don't have a function that lets me upload from a browser that will access my files directly.

Of course whenever I "purge" Photobucket, as I regularly do, I break the links to all the pictures I dump..... And darned if I can remember where they might have been posted after a day or so.

So just wanted to let you all know, I truly enjoy dropping by here, love to see whose doing what, like to share pics of my birds etc., and love you all.

Keep in mind that I came up in this decoy thing with Joe Wooster as my teacher..... after that, there probably isn't any abuse I can't tolerate, let alone a little good natured kidding.

So keep your eyes on the prize:

But as for me (in the words of William Tecumseh Sherman) : "I will not accept if nominated and will not serve if elected."
MLBob

Offline tom modin

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 05:07:04 PM »
here is an odd decoy photo