Author Topic: Layout Boats????  (Read 14736 times)

JustinB

Layout Boats????
« on: October 10, 2011, 10:35:49 PM »
Since this site is full of DIY'ers, I am curious if anyone has built a layout boat? I'm looking to possibly build one because the area I hunt we can use them. Any information, plans, advice, etc. is greatly appreciated.

Thanks For Your Time
JustinB

Working Decoys Forum

Layout Boats????
« on: October 10, 2011, 10:35:49 PM »

Offline Andrew H

Re: Layout Boats????
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 11:17:42 PM »
Look up Momarsh plans on the internet.  From what I have heard, the plans have a few errors/ misleading directions, but if you have some wood working experience, but they don't look that hard to build.

Oh, they are also heavy.

I have something similar made out of fiberglbooty

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 11:17:42 PM »

Offline Ed Heinlein

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 11:08:15 AM »
Justin, last summer I built a KARA Hummer. The plans cost $25 or $35. It's a cross between a sneakboat and a layout. I have just added an inexpensive Final Approach layout blind, that fits perfectly into the cockpit. It's extremely stable, you can stand on the very back edge of it, and the other end barely rises up at all. I added the optional transom so I can use an e-motor, and it even supports a longtail I built this summer, which weighs between 50-60 #s. It also works well polled. I did make mine slightly different than the plans, mine is solid foam with only a fiberglbooty shell (4 layers). It is only 11" from the bottom of the boat to the top of the cockpit. I think I posted photos on here last summer, check my posts. Being concerned about taking on water, I rigged it with dual 800gph bilge pumps. I tested it by taking it below a local dam and heading straight into the spillway. Huge waves came in, but when I flicked on the pumps, it was like flushing a toilet, and I just kept going. (Yeah, it was a pretty high sphincter factor, but it was summer, I was dressed like the Michelen man, and I had a backup boat). Needless to say, I think it works well for me.

JustinB

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 03:35:28 PM »
Ed,
   It seems as though you test things very similar to myself. Figure out the most dangerous possible method, dress to make sure you will not die and give her heck.  ;D ;D

Anyways, how did the construction of the boat go? Sounds like it should be a fairly easy bootyembly but I am wondering how much your fiberglbootying cost? Also, could the plans be modified to make it a true layout?

Thanks for all your input
JustinB

Offline Aaron

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 07:23:54 PM »
I made two hybrid layout boats with plans I got from "missedagain" on the Duck Hunting Chat forum. It cost me about $150 for the fiberglbooty and plywood. The boats are 6.5' long and about 4' wide at the widest point. They weigh about 65 lbs. My brother and I floated it in the pool to check for leaks(almost 500#). You can not tip it over. The plans cost me $25. He is a great guy to deal with as well.

"What we carry for weapons may vary, and how we hunt might be different, but what we carry in our heart is the same-we're all hunters."-Gene Wensel
UMA DOG Decoys

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 07:23:54 PM »

Offline B Bond

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
Well yall look pleased with them in that picture!
I've wanted to do one for years, just wish I had someone around to show me the ropes.

Offline Ed Heinlein

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 11:37:44 PM »
Ed,
   It seems as though you test things very similar to myself. Figure out the most dangerous possible method, dress to make sure you will not die and give her heck.  ;D ;D

Anyways, how did the construction of the boat go? Sounds like it should be a fairly easy bootyembly but I am wondering how much your fiberglbootying cost? Also, could the plans be modified to make it a true layout?

Thanks for all your input
JustinB

JB,
If you search my posts, look for the one from last OCT. titled "my big blue foamer". There's a number of photos documenting construction. I like to build stuff, so I didn't find the construction to be difficult. As far as how much the glbootying cost, I must admit I don't keep track of how much hobby stuff costs. I do remember ordering 2 or 3 gal. epoxy kits from U.S. Composites. Not sure either how much glbooty I used, other than it has 4 layers (way more than necessary if you use plywood skin. I recently discovered some fantastic baltic birch 1/8" plywood. If I were to build another, I'd use that and then cover it with just a couple of layers of glbooty.

As far as adapting it to an "official" layout boat, I think it already comes pretty close. Take a UFO for instance. It's edges come right to the water's surface, my boat's edges are only about 2" off the surface. The UFO has to be towed or ferried to the location of use. Mine "can be" piloted, but if there is much in the way of chop, things are going to get wet. I have yet to use it in heavy chop (a condition in which I would expect to have to deal with waves breaching the deck and sloshing over/into the cockpit. I suspect I'll have to design some type of spray skirt ( like all real layouts) to deal with this. Another big difference, from what I've seen is my hull is relatively flat, curving up to the gunnels, but the UFO looks like a mushroom, where the cockpit is a box that would appear as though it "hangs" down from the floating deck. (Do a google search and look on the UFO site to see what I mean).

If I had to do it over, I'd build myself a skull boat. They can easily be used as a layout boat, and when the birds are just sitting, you can break out the oar and put a stalk on them. It is uncanny how close you can get to sitting birds before they flush!

JustinB

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 12:10:35 AM »
Ed,
   I must say that is an awesome build. I am glad it went well. From the sounds of it, you had way too much fiberglbooty though. To give you an idea, I build "stitch and glue" kayaks and only use 1 layer of 6oz fiberglbooty over 1/8" luan plywood. They are a little heavy when comparing to the commercial built ones, yet they are very smooth riding. If the kayak plans I had were a little more stable I would just hunt from them but 1 shot would, for sure, send me for a cold swim.
   Thanks again for all the input. I really like how stable that is and I would be willing to bet that you would NEVER SINK. There is just too much foam to be concerned.

Take Care
Justin Benjamin

Offline Tom Rowe

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 01:01:31 AM »
Contact Tony Homer at waterfowl-works.com.  He purchased the plans and molds for the Busick 1 and 2 man layout boats (probably one of the best designs ever).  They are very precise and comprehensive.  I think he sells the plans for 40 or 50 bucks. 

Offline Ed Heinlein

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 01:58:16 AM »
From the sounds of it, you had way too much fiberglbooty though. To give you an idea, I build "stitch and glue" kayaks and only use 1 layer of 6oz fiberglbooty over 1/8" luan plywood.

I'm sure your are correct. Having a basement material on which to lay the glbooty makes a huge difference. For instance, I took a single layer of 6 oz. and applied epoxy...just my itself, no other material. Once cured, I bent it and it ripped like a postage stamp! Since I only had foam as the basement material, I thought I'd err on the conservative side and go heavy. Surprisingly, the thickness of the 4 layers w/ epoxy is only 3/32"! Design has everything to do with realizing the maximum strength when using fiberglbooty. I have recently discovered something called "composits" which are a mat like material that is soaked in epoxy and laid up. It is exceedingly strong and equally light, as it is designed to have air cells/spaces within. I can't remember exactly, but one layer of 1/8" composite was the same strength of something  like 10 layers of glbooty, but at a fraction of the weight! Interesting stuff if you don't mind doing that instead of hunting!!!!

Offline Matt J.

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 02:35:20 PM »
Contact Tony Homer at waterfowl-works.com.  He purchased the plans and molds for the Busick 1 and 2 man layout boats (probably one of the best designs ever).  They are very precise and comprehensive.  I think he sells the plans for 40 or 50 bucks.

I bought my one man plans from there.  Its coming along pretty good just waiting on the glbooty  I would also recommend the dvd he sells.  It helped me see what was going on better then the instruction packet

Offline Robert Becherer

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 08:15:25 PM »
Go to www.duckboats.net . Good web site and good people to help you. There is a section on boat spec's and availabilty of different plans..Many are excellent plans.I also built a Kara Hummer last summer but have not had a chance to use it.Need to spend some time with it on the water during the summer to get an idea on how well it works.Alot of people say it is good. I did put a transom on it for electric motor use.Hope you find good plans.Keep us posted on your results
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:43:48 PM by Robert Becherer »

Offline DinoS

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 12:25:36 AM »
The "monster marsh" plans are a little off.  but I did build two of them.  I am planning of making one or two more with 2"box below the water line.  I am going to make them slightly higher out of the water.  They float a little to high up front and water sloshes under making noise.  I weigh 220 lbs.  Hanging a brake disc from the job on my truck off the front of the boat helps.  I have shot a lot of ducks the last two years from them boats. I'll take a pic of them and post it.

Dino
shoot where they are gonna be not where they were, 
it's amazing what can be done when nobody cares who gets the credit-but give it when it's due

Offline JonZ

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 10:49:38 AM »
I've been considering a boat for getting decoys out and getting downed ducks and possibly hunting from. IMO the layout boats are very expensive and are not exactly what I need (I need a boat I can paddle and handle on my own), so I thought about building one as well. I like the designs I have seen, but not the construction so much.

Plywood : very heavy, and prone to rot. But very strong!

Solid foam : Heavy (when glbootyed), expensive. Sink proof!

The last option I could think of is skin over frame build similar to how some of the really light kayaks and canoes are made. They are really strong and can be very light as well. Building should be somewhat straight forward, except there will be no plans available for a duck boat.

look at this site to have an idea of the construction methods :

http://capefalconkayak.com/The%20modern%20skin%20on%20frame%20kayak.html

Maybe something I will investigate further over the winter.

Offline BlaineN

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 10:57:36 PM »
I built the same boat as Brian and I had a lot of fun doing it.  My favorite part was the wood work, as the fiberglbooty part was kind of boring and redundant but its part of the process oh well.  My warning to you is its quite addicting building boats, much like building decoys although I cant speak for that since I have not built any yet. The plans for the boat Brian and I built can be found for free at "The Refuge duck hunting forum" Although they are very basic and not many exact measurements you should be able to figure it out with a little thinking and or sketches. Im finally painting this one up and plan to hunt it soon.  I really want to build another, perhaps the Kara Hummer or one of the Delvin Duck boats.... Of course after I carve a few of my first decoys.
Blaine