Author Topic: Not duck related  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Scott Russell

Not duck related
« on: June 03, 2011, 09:40:25 AM »
Been on a roll this week.  I don't have time to carve, paint, fish, etc....or feel like it... this time of the year so I turn my attention to a different kind of hunting.  Pbootyes the time during the day and keeps my mind off the heat...100+ down here right now...while checking crops.

Don't know about the rest of ya'll but if it doesn't rain within the next 10 days here I may have more time on my hands than I want this season.  Driest I've seen it in a long time. 

Any rock hunters on here?

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Socrates

Working Decoys Forum

Not duck related
« on: June 03, 2011, 09:40:25 AM »

killerv

Re: Not duck related
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
cool kirk corner notched

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »

Andy H.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 03:55:28 PM »
You make me jealous!!!!  I just wish I could find one of those in my lifetime.  Up here I cant find arrowheads...lots of crackheads...but no arrowheads! ;) ;)

Offline Ronnie

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 07:20:20 AM »
Just like Andy says, I am jealous!   I would love to have a place to take my kids and find some arrow heads!
Contrary to belief, nobody owes you anything!

Offline Scott Russell

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 02:52:15 PM »
It's  alot of walking to find what little I pick up.  It varies from year to year but I check roughly 400 (+/-) cotton and peanut fields a week.  I have maybe 5 that are really good fields to look in.  Another 5-10 will give up a point occasionally and the rest are dead areas.  I've got a pockets of fields that were ocean, beach or something a few million years ago.  I find fossilized sea urchins, sand dollars, shells, coral, etc there.  No arrowheads...just ocean stuff.  Kind of cool.

Lee there are alot of CW sites around here but I just haven't really gotten into that.  Never picked up anything form era but I have a couple of farmers that check a creek on their land and they are always finding mini balls and stuff.  Had a friend clearing some land last year and they found 4 cannonballs.  I just look in the fields I'm checking and point are the easiest thing to find.  Find way too much broken stuff and flint chips by the millions.  Just something to keep my mind occupied this time of the year when pest pressure is low..weeds hve been taken care of...but the heat is rough.

If it doesn't rain in the next few days and this heat let off a little it's gonna be bad around here.

Socrates

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 02:52:15 PM »

Offline Scott Russell

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 07:43:24 AM »
Dude that's really cool.  I need to do more research like that and I'm sure it would help me narrow down search areas.  I know one of my more productive fields was a village that has been documented by the state.  I have another area with a creek on it that one of my farmers owns.  It was one of the last indian villages in that area before troops came in and removed them.  There were also several small battles in that area during the CW.  They cleared a few years ago and cleane dit up a little.   We picked up a few nice points before it all grew back up.  Haven't spent much time looking in the creek but as I'm typing I'm thinking I may ned to hit it next weekend.  We are in a drought and things are getting pretty rough.  I imagine the creek level is really low and that will open up some areas.

What state are you in?

Socrates