Author Topic: Anyone use an O/U for duck hunting? Other guns???  (Read 4743 times)

JustinB

Anyone use an O/U for duck hunting? Other guns???
« on: April 11, 2011, 11:15:19 PM »
Hey guys
   The title pretty much sums up what I'm wondering. Just to give a slight background, I am in the market for a new gun. I've used the ole-reliable 870 for a while but gave that to my brother. Now my dad gave me his old 870 but I just cannot seem to breakdown and use that for beating in the blind.

Now I know taking a really nice O/U in the blind is not much better but I am not a big fan of semi-autos either. I've had too many problems in the past with the very few I have tried (Winchester SX3, Stoeger 2000, and Rem 11-87). So I'm wondering about buying a used citori or the likes??? I believe I would still get 2 quick shots but the 3rd is pretty much not an option. Therefore would you suggest a O/U or a different auto?

Any information and discouragements are GREATLY APPRECIATED. I know a fair chunk about rifle shooting but, when it comes to the shotguns, give me something that throws lead, I'll pattern it religiously, and hit the water.

Thanks For Your Time and Input
Justin

Working Decoys Forum

Anyone use an O/U for duck hunting? Other guns???
« on: April 11, 2011, 11:15:19 PM »

Offline DakotaJ

Re: Anyone use an O/U for duck hunting? Other guns???
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 11:18:58 PM »
Wish I could help. If you want a auto I would suggest a stoeger or a mossberg 935. I dont own either one but i am trying to find a good deal on them. I shoot a mossberg 500 an to be honest I am not crazy about it.
?They'll have to shoot me first to take my gun?
 Roy Rogers

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 11:18:58 PM »

JustinB

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 11:22:49 PM »
Thanks Djohnson,
    Have they changed the stoeger in the past few years though? I had problems with the last one I tested out for a weekend from my local gunsmith. He tried a few different things and could never get it to shoot right.  ????

Thanks for the input. I've never seen a 935 anywhere that I could actually hold one though. I'll have to try and find one sometime soon.

I just want to test the one I purchase out before season, maybe a few quick trap/skeet rounds.

Appreciate the input keep it coming.

Offline Ed Heinlein

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 11:39:25 PM »
Hey JB, I'll throw my .02 in the discussion. I have always owned side by sides. I think the reason is because when I was young and impressionable, my older brother had a 20ga, and it fit me, so I couldn't miss with it, even if I tried. I always wanted O/Us, but the cost was always prohibitive. My attraction to the dbl bbls now is that I like having two chokes in one gun. Regarding the lack of a third shot, if there are so many ducks that I could be dropping triples on a regular basis, the limiting 2 shots helps prolong my hunting day! Seriously, if I miss the bird with the first two (high percentage shots), my chances for a hit on any third shot is nil. I manage my share of doubles, but I often don't even shoot the second round unless my first winged the bird, or I feel the situation is a rather high percentage shot......again......the second shot is often a lower percentage shot......and I hate chasing cripples.  Ed

Offline DakotaJ

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 11:43:53 PM »
I am not sure i dont own a stoeger. A friend of mine owns one and he says it is the greatest gun in the world.  Mossberg make a over/under gun as does stoeger so if you are wanting one of those. Personally i would rather have a side by side if i were to get a double shot gun or rifle for that matter.  I dont like the looks of an over/under rifle.
?They'll have to shoot me first to take my gun?
 Roy Rogers

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 11:43:53 PM »

Offline David K.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 11:48:53 PM »
All I ever use for anything is my O/U. I still take my beater 870 if I am traveling and staying in hotels or might have to leave my gear in the truck for any length of time. More worried about having it stolen then damaging it. After all they are just tools, a good wipe down at the end of the day works wonders and the dings in the stock are just little reminders of good times in the past. There have been very few times where I have missed a third shot. Hunting divers in the bay with heavy current or in a river too where a cripple can very quickly be 100's of yards away. I've found having two chokes and easily being able to quickly switch between shells/shot sizes is great and has really improved my kill to shot ratio. Having instant selection between goose or duck loads is great too even if you basically have a single shot goose gun it's still nice to be able to switch over to a heavy shell in your second barrel when geese suddenly come sneaking in and you have a teal load in your first pipe. Doesn't happen often but it's nice to have the option when it does.

There are now several synthetic stocked camo O/U out there and some are fairly inexpensive. I know a guy that has a TriStar and he has been very happy with it.

One note if you plan to hunt out of tank blinds get the longest barrels you can. I have a Franchi Alcione (no longer made!!) which has interchangeable barrels. When I first had it I only had the 26" barrels and in a rice blind it was too short to lean in the corner of the tank with the muzzle sticking out the hole in the tank. This meant it could get hung up when trying to mount it to my shoulder and much more dangerous it could fall over if you bumped the butt with your foot. I now have 30" barrels that are all I use for ducks. I would think 28" with extended chokes would get you enough length to safely sit in a rice blind. Don't know if you are familiar with the kind of blind I'm talking about. In a standup with gun "racks: the length would not matter.

Most importantly Over Unders are just COOL!

Offline BradF

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 01:16:48 AM »
I have shot all types of guns for waterfowl with the 870 being the go to gun but....about 15 years ago I became bored with the gunning so I tried some SXS's. I had shot Citori's in the past and still have a couple of them but the SXS's put fun back into the gunning for me. I now have several but the Ithica/SKB model 100 is my every day duck gun.

The model 100....

I also have a new SKB 385 that I use on occasions but after putting some dings on it I'm very selective when taking it into the blind.
BradF, NWRingneck

JustinB

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 01:35:50 AM »
Thanks Guys.

So just as I figured and thought, having the 3rd shot is not that big of a deal to you guys either. I will have to see what is available from the local gunsmith this week and see what the going rate is on them.

Really appreciate all your inputs tonight. I'll keep everyone posted on what I find.

Any other suggestions, keep the coming.

Thanks Again
Justin

Offline Ronnie

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 06:59:45 AM »
Seems everyone has a 870 in the closet as a backup.  About six years ago I bought a used SBE from my local gun shop and I have never had a problem with it. It has always kicked out whatever I fed it, and has done so in some horrible conditions. It is a tool and is treated as such. With it being tax time u never know what u might find at your local gun shop.   I have a 20 guage side by side that has been used for rabbits and it is fun to shoot.

Enjoy your hunt for a new gun.
Ron
Contrary to belief, nobody owes you anything!

Offline RAY J

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 07:12:08 AM »
I typically use a semi-auto for most of my early season and layout hunting. I have found that reloading an O/U out of a layout boat or layout blind is not as easy or comfortable. We end up with some nasty weather late season and I have found my O/U to be more dependable in the cold weather. I have found no difference at all, wishing for the third shot.

JustinB

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 07:45:13 AM »
Thanks Everyone.

Love everyone's pictures, the look great. There is just something about those O/U's being in a picture with birds that I just love to see.

I really worry about that late season stuff freezing because with school I usually don't get to hunt until is nearly 10* or colder. Right now I'm leaning towards the O/U just because of the fact there seem to be less moving parts (and from the look of the design they're easier to clean).

Ronnie, do you shoot much skeet/trap with the SBE? Kind of curious how it does with the lighter loads? I don't shoot a whole lot of skeet/trap but when I do I would like to know what expect.

Thanks Again Guys
Justin

Offline Gord Luke

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 09:43:01 AM »
i have an old 870 that i use most of the time but also own a stoger o/u that is a lot of fun to shoot and was compareable in price to a higher end pump shotgun a way back when i bought it....i find the o/u a lot faster to reload when the action is fast and furious and sometimes that works out a lot better than having the third shot...sometimes....
"Aiden...no matter what some people will try to tell you...you can never own too many decoys"..me to my grandson...

JustinB

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 10:17:26 AM »
So is there really much difference in the high end and low end O/U for general hunting purposes?

It seems as though there isn't a whole lot of difference?

Thanks
Justin

Offline Gord Luke

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 04:21:56 PM »
well this is going back a long ways..but as i recall i paid around 500.00CAN? for that new stoger...the rest of the o/u i looked at the time started at considerable more (maybe double that?) and then the sky was the limit...i haven't been in the market for a shotgun for a long time so i have no idea what they might be going for now....that was back in the days when if you were looking to buy a gun you went from gun shop to gun shop...i would think that you could probably find a good deal on line these days...cheers
"Aiden...no matter what some people will try to tell you...you can never own too many decoys"..me to my grandson...

JustinB

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 05:00:42 PM »
Thanks Gord,
    The problem I have with buying offline is two fold. One is that I would like to shoulder it a few times before I buy it. Second is the way the FFL stuff is now. I have to find a gun dealer that would do a transfer for me. I've tried to do this in the past and it seems to be a big pain in the tail for what it's worth.

Thanks for the input. I'll have to do a little looking around a go from there.

Take Care
Justin