Author Topic: My big blue foamer....or why I didn't finish my decoys this summer.  (Read 31586 times)

Offline Ed Heinlein

The frame...

Inserting the foam...

Taking shape...

Glbootying....

Removing excess internal foam.....

Base coat of paint and non skid decks....

Camo paint job and accessories....

Low profile....

Hmmm, it fits....

One of the dual 800 gph bilge pumps.....just in case.....

Camo door frames....

All grbootyed up.....

.....and now I can get back to my decoys!!!

Working Decoys Forum

Offline Dave Speer

Re: My big blue foamer....or why I didn't finish my decoys this summer.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 10:59:04 PM »
Wow!!! Looks like hunting in that won't suck!

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 10:59:04 PM »

Offline Steve Kindschuh

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 07:26:28 AM »
Well done Matey!!! That is awesome!!!! I think the turkey likes it too.

Offline Dennis J

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 08:15:18 AM »
Great lookn build!!! That camo./blind is just what ya need, even the chickens can't see it!  Good luck to ya & your new set-up.
Dennis

Offline David K.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 09:21:16 AM »
Very nice, get that chisel out of the dirt though!  :o haha

How heavy is it? Seems like a lot of plywood I'm sure it's sturdy. What weight of glbooty did you use and how many layers?

Can't wait to see some pics of dead ducks out your boat over your decoys.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 09:21:16 AM »

Offline Scott Russell

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 10:41:27 AM »
Awesome is all I can say.   I'd sacrifice a season of decoy making in a hurry to do something like that.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Socrates

Offline Tom Rowe

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 02:59:27 PM »
Ed, I just fell over backwards out of the chair.  That boat is unbelieveable.  GREAT JOB! 

Offline Ed Heinlein

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 05:58:34 PM »
Thanks for the kudos guys.....it was fun. Yeah, the chickens and turkeys just HAD to be in on the construction!

Sadly, it weighs in at 120#, WAAAAAY more than I was hoping!!! The frame weighed in at 45#. I was hoping to really lighten it by foregoing the luan plywood skin, using thinner plywood instead of the 2 x ? for the frame, and laying the fiberglbooty over the foam. It only took 2 sheets of the 2" foam, so the rest of the weight had to come form the fiberglbooty. I used 6.5 oz. fabric with epoxy, and put on 4 layers top and bottom, but I did put 2 layers on the inside to "seal" or encapsulate the frame and foam. I had a boat builder here roll his eyes when he found out I used 4 layers. I thought it was necessary since there is essentially no underlying support without the plywood, per the plans. Apparently it is pretty strong because while attempting to move it on the stand, it fell off, hitting a 3/8" sheet of plywood next to it. It destroyed the plywood!!! Thank God those chickens have good reactions....they escaped, no worse the wear! After the fact, I read about some guys the made canoes with just 2 layers of 6.5 cloth. I must say, that they admitted there was quite a bit of "flex" to their hulls, although they weighed in at something like 22 lbs!!! I'm hoping my yacht will be able to take some abuse.

To get it around, I converted my canoe carrier, from Cabelas, by adding some 3/4" conduit as a 7 ft loop handle. I just lift one end of the boat up, slide the carrier under, strap the nose down and away it goes. It's not entirely unlike those game carriers. It just so happens that when I ease it up to the tail gait of my rig and rest the handle on the ground, the other end of the hull comes to rest on the tail gate. Then it's an easy matter to lift the other end of the boat and slide it right in. Once I'm at the water, it slides out onto the carrier, and just like a regular boat trailer, it floats off the carrier!

I'm pleased, and amazed by the stability. I took it out for a test run, stood as far out as I possibly could on the edge of the decks, and the other end barely came off the water. I rigged up my 55# minn kota, and it will move it along....empty.... 4 mph.....same as my canoe but FAR more stable. I have yet to do a river test in the Missouri to see if or how it will handle the current, and get me where I want to go. If it doesn't perform to my satisfaction, this winter's, or next summer's project will be a longtail! I'm also sewing up an spray skirt. I anticipated the need for one and added a rim around the cockpit to secure it. Again on the first test run, I found that spray from waves can be prevalent, and in the event I find myself in rough waters, I wanted something to help keep any serious water from filling the cockpit. I'm pretty certain it will stay afloat even totally filled with water, as both ends, the bottom and a large portion of the sides is fiberglbooty encapsulated foam! I plan on going easy with it until warmer weather next summer, when I can take it out and REALLY find out what its limitations are.

At least until then, I have time to finish some decoys! HAHA     Oh yeah, wait till you see what I did with my float tube!!!

Sorry 'bout the chisel, David!!! I promise I got the whole place cleaned up now......can hardly recognize the place!!!

Offline David K.

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 09:47:59 PM »
HAHA! It ain't my chisel  :D

On my surfboard I used two layers of 6 oz. cloth top and bottom. It did flex but that was primarily because the underlying foam was soft. Surfboard blanks are a cast white foam basically identical to the white foam board from HD. The casting leaves a "crust" and I was always told to do more of  the thinning on the bottom to preserve the crust on the deck where you stand and push off when you stand up. The bottom should not really have any  contact if you do everything right. With the harder blue or pink foam I would  think you'd be much safer avoiding the extra glbooty. I'd have to say I'd much rather be in 65 degree water in San Diego with a delicate boat than in the Missouri during duck season!

Offline Ryan S.

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 09:08:18 PM »
Awesome boat build :o

Offline BillD

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 11:08:23 AM »
I would have thought that it would be lite enough to carry under one arm. Great boat!

Offline Mark Spolarich

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 02:21:25 PM »
Nice job on the boat! With the grbooty on it that thing will completely disappear.....

I would have guessed it to weight less than it did also....
Mark Spolarich

Offline Frankanderson

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
nice boat build

Offline Steve W

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 08:07:44 PM »
NICE job....
  The one I built got to about 150-170 but they are stable..
NO COOKIE CUTTERS......................

Offline Ed Heinlein

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 09:38:43 PM »
Again, thanks for the compliments guys. I must say the one thing that I find is a serious drawback to this boat is its EXTREME lack of space! I find it difficult to carry very many decoys to location.......and that's bootyuming very very little else goes along. I've found, this season, that I've used my canoe much much more often, and rather than laying out to hunt, I've been setting up a make shift blind on shore. I'm now considering taking both boats to some locations. I'll be towing one of the boats (depending on which one I can best use the longtail I'm building). I'll probably still use the canoe as the beast of burden, and once I get everything set up, I'll beach the canoe and anchor the layout in the spread. Based on my limited hunting experience here, it would appear that such an arrangement would not be the norm, but rather my current way of using the canoe to ferry my "junk" and then setting up a shore blind, will be more typical. Since I don't have a dog, my e-motor on the canoe has worked very well retrieving downed birds, or chasing down those hardy GEs! The way I see it, another 5 or 10 yrs. and I should have somewhat of a system worked out!!!!!!