Thanks for the kudos guys.....it was fun. Yeah, the chickens and turkeys just HAD to be in on the construction!
Sadly, it weighs in at 120#, WAAAAAY more than I was hoping!!! The frame weighed in at 45#. I was hoping to really lighten it by foregoing the luan plywood skin, using thinner plywood instead of the 2 x ? for the frame, and laying the fiberglbooty over the foam. It only took 2 sheets of the 2" foam, so the rest of the weight had to come form the fiberglbooty. I used 6.5 oz. fabric with epoxy, and put on 4 layers top and bottom, but I did put 2 layers on the inside to "seal" or encapsulate the frame and foam. I had a boat builder here roll his eyes when he found out I used 4 layers. I thought it was necessary since there is essentially no underlying support without the plywood, per the plans. Apparently it is pretty strong because while attempting to move it on the stand, it fell off, hitting a 3/8" sheet of plywood next to it. It destroyed the plywood!!! Thank God those chickens have good reactions....they escaped, no worse the wear! After the fact, I read about some guys the made canoes with just 2 layers of 6.5 cloth. I must say, that they admitted there was quite a bit of "flex" to their hulls, although they weighed in at something like 22 lbs!!! I'm hoping my yacht will be able to take some abuse.
To get it around, I converted my canoe carrier, from Cabelas, by adding some 3/4" conduit as a 7 ft loop handle. I just lift one end of the boat up, slide the carrier under, strap the nose down and away it goes. It's not entirely unlike those game carriers. It just so happens that when I ease it up to the tail gait of my rig and rest the handle on the ground, the other end of the hull comes to rest on the tail gate. Then it's an easy matter to lift the other end of the boat and slide it right in. Once I'm at the water, it slides out onto the carrier, and just like a regular boat trailer, it floats off the carrier!
I'm pleased, and amazed by the stability. I took it out for a test run, stood as far out as I possibly could on the edge of the decks, and the other end barely came off the water. I rigged up my 55# minn kota, and it will move it along....empty.... 4 mph.....same as my canoe but FAR more stable. I have yet to do a river test in the Missouri to see if or how it will handle the current, and get me where I want to go. If it doesn't perform to my satisfaction, this winter's, or next summer's project will be a longtail! I'm also sewing up an spray skirt. I anticipated the need for one and added a rim around the cockpit to secure it. Again on the first test run, I found that spray from waves can be prevalent, and in the event I find myself in rough waters, I wanted something to help keep any serious water from filling the cockpit. I'm pretty certain it will stay afloat even totally filled with water, as both ends, the bottom and a large portion of the sides is fiberglbooty encapsulated foam! I plan on going easy with it until warmer weather next summer, when I can take it out and REALLY find out what its limitations are.
At least until then, I have time to finish some decoys! HAHA Oh yeah, wait till you see what I did with my float tube!!!
Sorry 'bout the chisel, David!!! I promise I got the whole place cleaned up now......can hardly recognize the place!!!