Author Topic: Waterproofing a canvas blind  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Scott Klecka

Waterproofing a canvas blind
« on: October 10, 2010, 02:42:43 PM »
I'm in the process of repainting my boat and the canvas blind on it. I using FME paint from Lou.  To do the canvas I'm thinning the paint down so the canvas is not stiff. What can I put on the canvas after I paint it to make it waterproof?  I want something I can get local if I can.  I was considering something like Thompsons wood sealer. 
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Working Decoys Forum

Waterproofing a canvas blind
« on: October 10, 2010, 02:42:43 PM »

Offline Jacob Carlson

Re: Waterproofing a canvas blind
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 08:14:34 PM »
How about almost a "tie die" and then wax it?  Would provide some break up and would waterproof it, right?
- Jacob

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 08:14:34 PM »

Offline Toby Wise

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 04:23:26 PM »
As a disclaimer I havent done this but its something I have researched. I looked into making a pancho type ghillie suit to hide in the low coastal prairie grbootyes. Most of the guys that make their own suits take white and tan strips of cloth, canvas, or burlap and dye the strips in Rit Dye (which you can supposedly get at the drug store, again I havent done it). Seems like you could do a single color or as mentioned a tie dye look too.

As for water proofing I would check out waterproofing boot wax products. May not be the best option due to the magnitude of the project though. I have applied sno seal to my carhart overalls with great results. In a light rain or dew covered uncut field they shed water pretty good.

Offline Jacob Carlson

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 06:04:54 PM »
Rit dye is what I was thinking of.  We've dyed all kinds of things with it (some guys do their raffia in it) and it holds up pretty well.
- Jacob

Offline Scott Klecka

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 11:22:23 PM »
kind of a big project for wax coating.  I was reading over at DB that people have used Thompsons water seal. 
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 11:22:23 PM »

Offline Jacob Carlson

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 08:41:15 PM »
kind of a big project for wax coating.  I was reading over at DB that people have used Thompsons water seal. 

Hope it works better on canvas than it does for what it was designed to do.  Never heard anything good about it on a deck.  My parent's hate it, guy at work hates it... etc.
- Jacob

Offline Scott Russell

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 09:43:31 PM »
When I bought my blind (cordura material) the salesman told my to spray it with Scotchgard once a year.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Socrates