Author Topic: What other hobbies are you into?  (Read 2806 times)

killerv

What other hobbies are you into?
« on: March 16, 2009, 07:46:42 AM »
Outside of hunting and other shooting sports, I enjoy collecting and playing guitar. Also, I'm big into lawncare.

Working Decoys Forum

What other hobbies are you into?
« on: March 16, 2009, 07:46:42 AM »

killerv

Re: What other hobbies are you into?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 01:27:22 PM »
I worked for a place while in college that specialized in rifle tuning and custom loading. I learned a ton and that experience definitely made me a better shot. I can't tell you how many pieces of brbooty I've worked.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 01:27:22 PM »

Offline Brian Nilson

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 02:24:11 PM »
My other hobbies are Wood turnning (calls and bowls), fly tying (some day I'll learn how to cast them without tying knots in my leader), Photography, and wandering around the mountains of Colorado.

Brian
There?s nothing like watching cupped wings drop into a spread of decoys you made yourself.

Offline newguytaylor

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 07:49:58 PM »
My hobbies are Hunting, fishing, Scuba diving(when the waters not frozen)
This year I am the chapter chairman of Nova Delta Waterfowl so henhouses and wood duck boxes take up a fair amount of time, this year we are planning on putting out some Eider nesting structures as well.
Dinner/auction this Saturday so a ton of running around this week.
Gary

Offline Shawn H.

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 09:52:12 AM »
Most of my hobbies relate to duck hunting or my family. I am a little league softball coach, and try and be involved in anything my little girl is doing. I have made a few small boats (Kara, Foamer etc.) and I turn a few calls when I have time. Here are a few I had pictures of.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 09:52:12 AM »

Offline Scott Klecka

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 01:41:52 PM »
mostly your standard hunting and fishing.  I also golf and I restored a 1960 CJ-5 a few years ago.  Now days most of my free time is spent with the kids and their sports.  They are starting to get into hunting but I still think they are a bit young.  I did go deep sea fishing with my 6yr old son last week and that was a lot of fun.  We did not catch much but we had a good time.  I was happy that he did not get sea sick as it was a little rough out. 

Here is a photo of the Jeep.

I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Offline Bob Eames

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 12:49:35 PM »
I make duck and goose calls for fun. It stared alot like this hobby, me saying to the wife " I think I can do that...."

Some of the other hobbies are scuba diving, spearfishing, hunting, fishing, muscle cars, paint and bodywork, boatbuilding, homebrewing, and probably another dozen that I can't remember. My wife says that I'm the busiest guy she knows, and I keep telling her there's still 4 hours a day that I do nothing but sleep.... ;D

Bob

BobM

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 03:54:11 PM »
I don;t know if I call it a hobby but I love Monster trucks you know like bigfoot and grave digger.I like to see them when they come to the ag center.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 01:24:02 PM »
Well... let's see here.

Besides carving, i've built race cars, painted race cars, driven race cars, as well as a previous college football player (glad that's way behind me, surgery time now  >:()

Some of my work,

A 1969 & 1/2 Nova

An All fiberglbooty Chopped 55' Chevy

My 2002 Dragster

Racing is as much of a pbootyion as waterfowl, but far more aggravating.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 01:26:03 PM by Andy B »
TW Decoys

"Thankyou to all the troops oversea's and back home. I appreciate everything you've done for me, my family, and this great country!"

"Forgive me, For i'm a Chessie Man!"

Offline KeithH

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 07:10:34 PM »
Art:

Photography:

Taxidermy:

working with dogs, kayaking with the family, and of course...fishing!
...just a drop of water in an endless sea

Offline Jimmy Z

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 09:59:56 AM »
Keith, that painting is ridiculously beautiful and as always the photos are great as well.

I agree!! ;D 

Offline Scott Klecka

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 11:05:51 AM »
You know it is good when you can see the dog thinking!!!  Outstanding!!
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Offline KeithH

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 12:09:09 PM »
Keith, it just occurred to me after several  years that the photo in your avatar is a painting.  Am I right?  Your painting skills are just outstanding.  I did hundreds of human portraits to pay my way through college.  I would imagine with family pets you face some of the same issues of not just representing a species, but an individual personality as well.

Yep...my avatar is a painting. It is what I should really be doing but in these times no one is buying. I got a $5K printer sitting lame over in my studio...$1K worth of ink in it. I got one commission the year before and none last year. I did swap a portrait this year for a hopefully nice shotgun!! I have worked the field trial business every way I can think of and it will not take off. I can't dedicate 100% of my time to it right now but in another 7 years I'll retire from my real work (fish biologist for the state) and then see what happens with the art.
I used to do bird taxidermy through my college years and then some...so I'm thinking on falling back into that....but then those paint brushes start calling me so I stay confused and distracted.
So thanks guys for the comments...in any form of art, the artist really feeds on positive comments. It can drive their production and I think that obviously reflects in the work Don and all of you  guys put out. It takes me weeks to get a single bird carved and painted right now...too much on the home front going on!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 12:11:21 PM by KeithH »
...just a drop of water in an endless sea