Author Topic: Where do you hunt?  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Scott Klecka

Where do you hunt?
« on: February 09, 2009, 02:32:46 PM »
Just wondering, most of mine is boating on public water.  I find the local WMAs to be over hunted.  I do get some private land hunting but I'm a guest there.
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Working Decoys Forum

Where do you hunt?
« on: February 09, 2009, 02:32:46 PM »

killerv

Re: Where do you hunt?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 03:43:33 PM »
I've only been duck hunting for about 7 years. I do several of those types of hunting. I'm in middle Ga and my family owns some land with several lakes on them from old kaolin mines. I've seen woodducks, mallards, ringnecks, mergansers, some coots but that about it, and not really alot of any of those. Every few years I'll get a big group of ringnecks which makes for a fun hunt. I usually get invited on a good woodduck hunt or two each year. Hunted Lake Seminole a few times and the past couple of years we've hunted Guntersville, in fact, we actually took my buddy's camper and rent a campground space for the season this past year. Never done the Arkansas or Mississippi duck hunts. Several of my buddies go to Mexico and do well each year, I just don't have the cash yet. And just for the record, it seems us Ga boys seemed to get thrown all in the same basket when it comes to Guntersville, I think that is really unfair.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 03:43:33 PM »

Offline Scott Klecka

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 04:28:52 PM »
yea, there are plenty of bad apples who are local to the lake.  I try to avoid some of the better areas just for that reason. 
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Offline Shawn H.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 09:33:53 PM »
Killer,
   When you get back over this way give me a shout if you want to come over to Wheeler. I do most of my hunting in a hole we lease off of the refuge, but we hunted the river a lot this year. Where are you in GA? My wife is from Tifton, and I went to ABAC. Shawn

killerv

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 07:34:08 AM »
'preciate it Shawn. I've been in Macon my whole life.  I grew up deer hunting and my dad never did anything other than that but fish so that was it for me, deer and fish. A friend of the family opened his own gunshop and rifletuning shop and I was in college at the time and he offered me a job between clbootyes. He got me into the turkey and duck hunting. We were shooting rabbits one morning and we got around to one of my lakes and there was about 200 or so ringnecks on it. I had never duck hunted before at the time, so I went afterwards and got my stamp and we shot them the next morning. I was hooked after that. I remember standing their that first morning and hearing those first ringnecks come in and that was just the coolest thing in the world....but not quite as cool as a turkey gobblin comin' your way.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 07:34:08 AM »

killerv

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 08:11:19 AM »
Man I can't wait for turkey season, might be going to South Dakota also for some Merriams, not sure yet. Although duck hunting has bit me pretty hard the past several years, I'd quit it all for a turkey if I had to choose. I don't know how this year is going to go, our main tract of land has a kaolin leason on it, it's just a matter of time before they cut loose with the big equipment. Had a bulldozier under one my deer stand two years ago. But, after they mine, I should have more ponds and lakes for ducks.