Author Topic: What do you do after season?  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Jacob Carlson

What do you do after season?
« on: January 15, 2010, 11:37:06 PM »
Well, duck season is in the books.  Archery and late season muzzleloader for deer has wrapped up.  About all that's left open is crows, rabbits, and squirrels.  I'm going out after rabbits and squirrels tomorrow... not holding out much hope as I haven't seen a rabbit in town in... probably over a year.  And seeing a rabbit out hunting anymore is about as rare as anything.

But we're getting some mild weather here in January and I'm going to take advantage of it.  I usually get really bad in Feburary and March and have been known to sit out looking for coyotes even though they are about as rare as cottontails anywhere I can hunt.
You never know though!

Just wondering what you guys do after season as far as hunting.  Of course many of you guys are still hunting waterfowl and probably aren't giving much thought to it.
- Jacob

Working Decoys Forum

What do you do after season?
« on: January 15, 2010, 11:37:06 PM »

Offline Ryan S.

Re: What do you do after season?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 11:42:48 PM »
My season has been over for a month! Besides carving I have got out a few times ice fishing... need to get to bed now so I can get up tomorrow. I get out for crows usually once or twice---they kill a lot of duck eggs so it makes me feel good to kill a few.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 11:42:48 PM »

Offline Tom Rowe

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 12:13:23 AM »
I spend most of my time carving and molding decoys for next years rig.  As far as hunting goes fox and coyote at night.

Offline Scott Klecka

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 01:04:06 AM »
After duck season, I go back to being a full time dad.  Basketball, baseball, twirling, dance, and golf keep me running.  I get about one day a week to work on decoys if I'm lucky.  I would not trade it for anything, kids are great.  We are about to get my 7 yr old son back out on the golf course.  He loves it more than I love duck hunting.  My girl's twirling meets are about to start so we are working with her.  It is fun to watch your kids do things they love

I keep saying that I'm going to take them fishing for some bluegill in the spring but sports keep getting in the way
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Offline David K.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 01:05:30 AM »
I hunt weeds for a living LOL! That season is starting up real soon, that is if California does not wash away in the next 2 weeks. We are about to get hammered by the Pineapple Express.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 01:05:30 AM »

Offline Steve Kindschuh

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 06:58:12 AM »
Nobody on here hunts the spring snow goose season? Spring snows are alot of fun when the birds want to play. It's also the most work if you ask me. Putting out hundreds if not thousands of decoys and dealing with the mud makes it a ton of work at times.

Offline Jared77

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 09:37:30 AM »
Id say training the dog but thats really an all year thing.  I try to get him out every day usually 20 minutes per session.  I carve when I can, sit out for coyotes when the wife is working late and my young daughter goes to bed early.  If my cousin is free we'll roll out his small pack of beagles (3 dogs) and chase rabbits on the inlaws properity and pack them up usually after lunch to head home.  We usually do pretty good on them but thats because of LOTS of good habitat and the big bed of pines that always holds them.  That and deer.

Late deer season never seems to play out for us, they are all nocturnal and skittish so I don't go out much anymore unless there is not enough meat already in the freezer.  Always put in for a bear permit but I don't think its ever going to pan out.  Same with Elk.  Chase spring gobblers too.

My daughter is only 22 months so no sports yet.  Soon it will be horse shows, and 4H and hopefully she'll want to hunt.  If not doesn't matter cause really.......its all about her.  ;)
I hunt with a Golden, carve with a knife, and paint with a brush.

Offline Scott Russell

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 11:42:29 AM »
I  finish up my remaining winter time work then a little carving, fishing, arrowhead hunting and some much needed relaxing.  My primary focus is on my family.  I spend as much time with them in Feb and March as I can.    Maybe take a vacation somewhere, a few weekend fishing trips,  some rock hunting.....pretty much anything we can all do as a family.

In April I start gearing up for another crop season and then the cycle starts all over again. 
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Socrates

killerv

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 05:33:05 PM »
Need I say more....

Just pretty much biden' my time until turky season, its my favorite of all seasons. Do a little bush hogging before the season gets in. Other than that, gearing up for yard work and gardening, I'm one of those who like a perfect lawn, etc. We might get on a rabbit hunt or two and soon as the water starts warming up we'll start kayaking a little.

Offline Ryan S.

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 05:54:28 PM »
This is where I was this weekend. Lake Winnebago(largest inland lake in WI) is a walleye factory... and growing a very healthy population of monster perch. There is nearly zero structure on the lake, it is basically 20 ft deep the entire lake, so the fish roam the flats in huge schools chasing baitfish. It is easy to find fish but finding some that are hungry can be very difficult. There is an insane amount of baitfish right now... the few fish our group have been getting are so full of small shad surprised they can swim.

Thought you southern boys might like this... yes, my truck is on the ice

Offline tom modin

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 07:05:40 PM »
Spring in West Missouri is horrible besides carving I have nothing else to do ;D

Decoy carving is not a point and click hobby

Offline Mike F.

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
You guys need to buy a camera it extends my season another 2.5 months and carving ofcourse then turkey then fishing need i go on  ;D
Andy tell's me to go gring some cork i'll feel better.

Offline Ryan S.

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 07:31:20 PM »
You got that right Mike.....I used to get out a lot more with the camera. I am not very good but it is still fun to chase birds in the spring. This was one of my highlights.... spring time in Wisconsin. :o

Offline Jacob Carlson

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 07:45:56 PM »
I had a film SLR last season and took some pictures.  It was a blast.  The refuge here that holds a couple thousand birds during season must hold at least 20,000 during the spring... plus TONS of canadas, specs, and some snows, etc etc.  

Bought a digital SLR in May to take on our honeymoon and it was a little late for the spring migration but I'm going to get out there a few times more this spring.  Need to carve some shovelers because there are SO many gorgeous drakes around it's sickening.  They'll decoy in the spring but really key in on decoys with white, get about 10 yards off from them and swing off, must be looking for other shovelers.

Unfortunately, the wife won't let me take this feller out... he's got the fire but all I get to do is let him track down the dead rabbit after I drag it around the yard:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:55:04 PM by Jacob Carlson »
- Jacob

Offline Brandon Yuchasz

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 10:22:27 PM »
Like a lot of you when duck season closes I start caving again. Usually in January after the holidays are over. Then the need to get outdoors start nagging at me and eventually I just cant stand it I really think the silence of nature keeps me sane. There are times I tell my wife tomorrow I am taking the day and getting in the woods I just need to. She does not even question it I think she knows that its the best medicine for me.
Of course I live in the UP so winter is brutal at times so I picked up a hobby when I moved here 5 years ago most of you probably never considered. I started trapping. A set of snowshoes, Looking at maps the night before and exploring new area's is mostly what it boils down to for me but I even manage to set some traps from time to time.

Here is a post from another site from the other day my first check of the year.

My little girl could not wait to get out and check traps today so out we went.

The first weasel box was empty but the second was a bit more exciting.

This was actually my first weasel ever. I had put boxes out in this same area last year and none connected. This year I added venting on the back and used fresh beef liver for bait.

Its funny my line is extremely small this year. Setting with the kids really slows you down and although I had planned to go out today and really put down some steel when she asked to go with me I just felt lucky.

We added a total of 3 more sets today but all were on fresh sigh. I think that brings the total of sets up to 10 :lol:

After checking making sets and just hanging out it was time to head home.