Author Topic: NFL Playoffs  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Ryan S.

NFL Playoffs
« on: January 10, 2010, 09:11:11 PM »
Let me start by saying I am a diehard Packer Fan. I get to Lambeau once or twice a year, we have season tickets in our family 6 rows up-45yd line-visitors side. I was put on the season ticket waiting list by my Dad in 1982( I was 2).

I am heartbroke over the game tonight but have a lot of appreciation for football. What an incredible game! Probably go down as one of the greatest wildcards games of all time.

Anyone else diehard NFL fans? I know a lot of you southern boys are college football guys(we don't need to discuss that-College is more about money than the NFL ::))

Working Decoys Forum

NFL Playoffs
« on: January 10, 2010, 09:11:11 PM »

Offline Scott Klecka

Re: NFL Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 10:51:18 AM »
I have not watched a full pro game outside of the Superbowl in years.  My football season is over and yes it was a good one (Roll Tide!!) 

I do enjoy watching the Packers play in the cold.  I always wonder how many of the fans end up with frostbite.   :o
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 10:51:18 AM »

Offline Pete S.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 10:21:14 PM »
I too am a packer fan, born and raised in Green Bay you kind of have to be.  I get to one or two games a year they are a blast.  As far as the cold we are all pretty much used to it and just dress accordingly, well most of us. 

Cant seem to get into NCAA football, I think it is the ranking system makes no sense to me.

Offline ngoette

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 11:46:48 AM »
well being just west of cheesehead land, i am of course diehard purple and gold!

I'll admit i was not heartbroken by packers loss last weekend, however i really wouldnt have minded a Packer vs. Vikings NFC Championship!!!

o well though i guess....

GO VIKES!!! ;D

Offline Jacob Carlson

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 01:46:58 PM »
Big time Packers fan here.
- Jacob

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 01:46:58 PM »

Offline ngoette

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 10:39:07 PM »
well, now i too am heartbroke.... i gotta say this is the closest the vikings have gotten to bringing me to tears...

it was a tough game, the saints are a tough team but it makes it a lot harder to swallow when you basically hand the game over with multiple turnovers and HUGE errors.  Its too bad since most everyone knows its going to be a while till we get another chance.

it was a fun season as always, but i gotta admit i think the vikes will struggle against the packers a lot more next year, if not the next couple years. but i guess we'll just have to wait and see

Offline Jacob Carlson

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 11:07:25 PM »
We simply didn't earn it.
  Had it to many times and dumb moves just gave it away.
 Saints played to win, working on farve from the start,stripping every chance they could find. That's the game...
Vikes defence SUCKED till the 4th qtr.
  Farves only bad move was tossing back across otherwise he sucked it up took the beating and kept going.. Tough  old dog in my book.

Only possible better ending in my book would have been for the Vikings to win the toss, Favre back peddles after the first hike in OT, drops back and delivers it to the Saints secondary.  Then he gets stiff armed to the ground on the five yard line as they score the winning touchdown.

I guess you could call me a Favre hater... maybe I am, but I cheered for him last season with the Jets.  Today at lunch I told my dad... not only do I want the Vikings to lose, I want Favre to cause the loss.  Maybe it's wrong to relish someone else's failure but I'm floating on cloud nine tonight!  

We had a saying at the end of Packer games at our house... "Live by the Favre, die by the Favre."

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 11:09:27 PM by Jacob Carlson »
- Jacob

Offline ngoette

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 11:19:18 PM »

Vikes defence SUCKED till the 4th qtr.

there were aspects where they could have done better but they gave up 15 first downs compared to our 31 and 250yards compared to our 475 yards.  considering it was against the highest scoring offense in the league we could have done alot worse! 

i will agree favre took a beating(major understatement!) and sucked it up for the team and overall played a good game, just made a big mistake.  Cant really point much blame considering all the fumbles.  and thats not to mention too many players on the field!!! Ridiculous!

Offline Pete S.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 11:20:53 PM »
I guess you could call me a Favre hater... maybe I am, but I cheered for him last season with the Jets.  Today at lunch I told my dad... not only do I want the Vikings to lose, I want Favre to cause the loss.  Maybe it's wrong to relish someone else's failure but I'm floating on cloud nine tonight! 

Could not agree more, never so happy to see him screw up.  How bad will the tears be this time with the after game interview.  Waaaaaaaaa Waaaaaa seen it all before.

Offline Ryan S.

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 11:54:12 PM »
All these shocked Vikings fans..... Packer fans have seen this before and saw it coming :o ;D ;D ;D

Offline Derek and Xena

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 12:19:33 AM »
How could you possibly say such things about Favre after all he's been through!  He's just another guy trying to play the game!  He's gone through addiction, the loss of his father, his wife going through cancer, the loss of his brother-in-law, heartbreaking losses!  Yet, he has more consecutive starts than anyone in history and holds many records!!!  He is one of the toughest ever!!!  Did you forget that he is 40 playing with a bunch of twenty year olds!!!  I'd like to see you go out there and play with his toughness and love for the game!!!  Step off all you haters!  He will be back next year (at the age of 41) and the vikes will win, mark my words!
"But if you admire waterfowl, even love them in that sense no one but a hunter can understand, welcome to the club."  - Zack Taylor

Offline Derek and Xena

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 11:10:32 AM »
I'm also from MN.  I grew up in Lakeshore, near Brainerd and lived there for 20 years.  You're right about the vikes in the playoffs, pretty much a repeat of '98.  I think that AP was more to blame than anyone else!  If he could actually protect the ball that game would have been different.  He tries way too hard to make a play and everyone knows all they have to do is go after the ball and he'll give it up.  I don't think he would be as good of a runner if he worried about protecting the ball, but, how good can you be when you lead the league in fumbles among running backs?!!!  He's too reckless for me, they should use Taylor more often.  Ok, I am done with the rant now. 
"But if you admire waterfowl, even love them in that sense no one but a hunter can understand, welcome to the club."  - Zack Taylor

Offline Jacob Carlson

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 11:26:25 AM »
How could you possibly say such things about Favre after all he's been through!  He's just another guy trying to play the game!  He's gone through addiction, the loss of his father, his wife going through cancer, the loss of his brother-in-law, heartbreaking losses!  Yet, he has more consecutive starts than anyone in history and holds many records!!!  He is one of the toughest ever!!!  Did you forget that he is 40 playing with a bunch of twenty year olds!!!  I'd like to see you go out there and play with his toughness and love for the game!!!  Step off all you haters!  He will be back next year (at the age of 41) and the vikes will win, mark my words!

You're obviously a Vikings fan... out of curiousity:

What was your opinion of Favre from 1992 until August of 2009?

I'm not saying he hasn't been through some rough stuff but who hasn't?  And how long is he going to drag his family through his now guaranteed offseason drama?
- Jacob

Offline Derek and Xena

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 12:49:52 PM »
I've always liked Favre, since I was a kid.  Yes, I'm a vikings fan and I root for them no matter what.  Favre wanted to play with the vikes because he saw their talent and thought he would have a real shot at another super bowl, and they did.  This was his best season in his career statistically, he can still play.  If I was as tough as him and could play at that level at his age, I would do it too!  He's a football player, he was born that way and his family knows that, if he wants to play, let him and shut up about!!!

Offline Jacob Carlson

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 05:14:40 PM »
The issue wasn't that he wanted to play, the issue was he wouldn't make up his mind.
You can go around waiting until August so you can get out of training camp...  The fundamental issue Favre had, in my opinion, with the Packers was he didn't get to run the show anymore.

Look back at Favre under Mike Sherman, no control over him...  How can you bench Brett Favre in Green Bay, right?  When he's consistantly losing games someone should have sat his booty out.  And his intention from the very beginning was to end up in Minnesota... New York was nothing more than a stepping stone to the ultimate goal.  Fake injury at the end of the season, get the Jets to release you... He'd already been in talks with Childress WELL before the scuttlebutt about it.

If he wants to play, sure, he can play... that's obvious.  But lets face it... the Vikings needed him and the Packers needed him to get out of the way so we didn't loose our next franchise QB.  Look how far the Jets got this year... think Favre could have made it just as close to the Super Bowl with them?
- Jacob