Author Topic: Whats on your Workbench  (Read 72606 times)

Offline Alex Levitov

Re: Whats on your Workbench
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 12:06:20 PM »
Yeah I am using a 8lb two part foam and burlapping right now.  I’ll post pics soon

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 12:06:20 PM »

Offline Alex Levitov

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 10:48:49 PM »
First coat.  Sand, burn the loose ends and will do another coat:  paint by April lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 10:48:49 PM »

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 01:34:07 PM »
Looks like you burlapped the heads ?
?The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly; who know the great enthusiasums, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who at best know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly, so that their

Offline Alex Levitov

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 02:32:13 PM »
I did on these, I am playing around with what I like.  I am used to making wood heads and I am concerned that the foam won’t take much of a beating.  So I’ll burlap a couple and apoxie sculpt a couple and see what I like.  I fully intend to abuse the ever living **** out of these decoys in cold big water, so weight is not my issue. 

Offline Alex Levitov

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 08:00:23 PM »
Should I not burlap the heads?  Someone with experience on two part mold wanna chime in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 08:00:23 PM »

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 08:32:10 AM »
 That’s the joy of carving your own decoys. You can do what you want. It’s not about what other people think you should do.
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 08:45:13 AM »
Alex that was not a criticism, more a question. Before they used to sell high density heads on here and I have heard folks using wood for heads. Just trying to learn more about folks processes. That would certainly toughen them up, just thought that would make painting a bit harder.
?The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly; who know the great enthusiasums, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who at best know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly, so that their

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2019, 12:32:29 PM »
Goldeneye hen completed.

Last one for a while. The hunt for a 14”bandsaw continues.
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Offline Lloyd Heins

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 12:30:08 AM »
Not sure if this pic will post.    It’s been awhile since my last post.   Working on some mallards.   Cheers!
The older I get, the better I was...

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2019, 07:31:53 PM »
Working in a few cork birds right now. I was cleaning the shop out and found a pair of Greenwing teal heads with no bodies. So I dug out a block of cork and remedies the situations.
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Offline Lloyd Heins

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2019, 12:44:25 AM »
Need to paint the bills and tone it down with a few washes.   Critiques welcome!

Offline george williams

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2019, 08:53:59 AM »
Black Duck update. George I agreed the bill was too bright so I added more Burnt Umber. The bill is a hair large but I think exaggerated by my photo. Here is the update. I painted the head first but how do you blend to the body without looking like a line?
Jeff, after painting the head and doing the ticking, I paint the body with a fan, The tips of the bristles will leave enough of a ragged edge where body meets head to blend both together. Bill color is a LOT better! ;)
so many carvers, so few decoy makers

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2019, 01:20:49 PM »
Thanks George, kinda slow around here wish there was more activity.

Offline george williams

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2019, 01:41:56 PM »
Well, things are kind of slow all over-gardening, mowing the $%#$@#$ lawn, keeping gunning partner in shape by swimming him a few times a week, not to mention building stool.
I have been  in the midst of painting a hen Harley, actually the second of that gender. One thing slipped my mind when I did the first, and that was to write down all of the color-well brownish-information for each step, which would save me a TON of time AND frustration with the paint.The brain got into gear, and I wrote as I worked--The main problem with this one is that I did a ton of stippling, and adding paint to the surface as I worked, until I got to where I was satisfied that the  impression was achieved, not of the duck as much as the decoy.
Will send you some shots. if you can post without difficulty, please have at it. I never knew thatat something that was just  brownish,  would produce so much FRUSTRATION! ;D
so many carvers, so few decoy makers

Offline Lloyd Heins

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2019, 09:58:35 AM »
Can you guys see my posts and pics?