Author Topic: Whats on your Workbench  (Read 882 times)

Offline Jeff Fenerty

Whats on your Workbench
« on: February 07, 2019, 12:22:01 PM »
Working on some black Ducks for Ducks Unlimited. They are going to pay my costs basically. Also got a commission for a Widgeon. I really just carve for fun and don't want to turn it into a "job" I don't really like the pressure of a deadline for carving.
?The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly; who know the great enthusiasums, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who at best know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly, so that their

Working Decoys Forum

Whats on your Workbench
« on: February 07, 2019, 12:22:01 PM »

Offline Matt Gau

Re: Whats on your Workbench
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 07:14:32 PM »
I am working on a Goldeneye decoy as part of a club project.

Being without a bandsaw has put a major slowdown in my carving this winter.
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 07:14:32 PM »

Offline Alex Levitov

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 08:44:11 PM »
Working on some foam hand carved geese floaters and have two new molds coming and am starting to plot that in my life.

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 11:56:20 AM »
Black Duck ready for Paint and eyes
?The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly; who know the great enthusiasums, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who at best know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly, so that their

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 04:08:43 PM »
Finishing up Black ducks, Thanks to George for the paint recipes!

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 04:08:43 PM »

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 08:53:26 AM »
Updated pics

Offline george williams

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 05:57:08 PM »
Jeff, this is the only decoy that I deal with this way. I paint the head first, then do the ticking, then blend the body into the head. The tertail color is a mite strange, but is just titanium white dragged with a fan into the black duck black on the black. You are looking for a silvery gray. You can re-address the black after you have done that area. BANG! DONE.  OOps, last thing is the bill color. Then keel and repainting of the underside of the deke.
You will find that doing the head first works rather well, but only on this particular species. ;)
Jeff, the bill is rather electric! Yellow ochre, some titanium white and a bit of burnt umber for the drake, mix some mars black in to turn the base color olive for the hen/
That is waaaaay too bright, fella.
May be the angle, but I also am noting that the bill appears rather elongated.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 03:19:25 PM by george williams »
so many carvers, so few decoy makers

Offline Alex Levitov

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 12:50:56 AM »
Just finished my first pour mold after some research from here.  Just a couple hundred more to do.  Any suggestions on the best, quickest and efficient tip coat? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 02:50:23 PM »
Updated photo of my goldeneye project. Chip carved, hollowed, and glued up.
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Offline Alex Levitov

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 10:27:29 PM »
Matt,

That is absolutely beautiful work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 01:02:40 PM »

Sugar Pine feeding drake Wood Duck for my rig 14.8oz.

Will seal and paint when other Wood Duck decoys now in the works are ready for paint.

No use mixing all those oil paint colors for just one decoy...

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 11:26:58 AM »
Matt love the knife marks are you planning on keeping it that way?

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 11:28:40 AM »
Alex is that 2 part foam?
Looking good Vince, love the feeding position.

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 11:39:24 AM »
Black Duck update. George I agreed the bill was too bright so I added more Burnt Umber. The bill is a hair large but I think exaggerated by my photo. Here is the update. I painted the head first but how do you blend to the body without looking like a line?

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 11:46:56 AM »
Jeff,

The knife marks will stay. That is how I finish all of my wooden birds. I carve with cedar most often and don’t like to sand it. It sets them apart from the other decoys on the table and most importantly, I like the way they look.
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com