Author Topic: New Ownership and looking for your input  (Read 2898 times)

Offline Admin

New Ownership and looking for your input
« on: May 07, 2017, 08:04:37 PM »
First I want to let everyone know that Working Decoys is now under new ownership, The website, Domain and Mold for the plastic heads have all been purchased. We have some updates to do here and get things cleaned up. We will be implementing a new sponsor program that will be very tempting to business owners, cleaning up all the user names that do not meet the requirements of the site, and updating the Banner ads with new sponsors banners and removing the outdated ones.

We are also looking for information pertaining to the site what you like what you don't like, potential changes you would like to see. We have already implemented a social Media page on Facebook and are considering Instagram as well. So be sure and check out the facebook page as well.

And most importantly we need to revive this page and get users posting and becoming more active and maybe the change is just what we need as a whole group. Scott and the previous Moderators worked very hard to build this page and I am not about to let Social Media bring it down like it has most all other forums.

Thank You

Working Decoys Forum

New Ownership and looking for your input
« on: May 07, 2017, 08:04:37 PM »

Offline Scott Klecka

Re: New Ownership and looking for your input
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 09:09:38 PM »
Best wishes, while it is hard to let go, after almost 10 years, life had taken enough turns that the site was no longer a focus and I don't want to see it die from my lack of time and focus on it.  I have made what I consider to be some great friends on the site over the years and really appreciate the contributions of all the members and particularly the mods who have done as much if not more to make this site what it is.  Best of luck going forward.  I really hope to see the site thrive under the new owners.  I'll be around and hope to see y'all at some shows in the future.
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 09:09:38 PM »

Offline Tony Banks

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 07:10:14 AM »
This has been a great forum and I appreciate the former owners efforts and work. This forum is a much better platform IMO than social media. I hope the forum continues and eish the new owner and admins all the best.

Offline Bill Clark

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 09:14:04 AM »
I am not a great supporter of social media sites i visit to view services/products offered. I have enjoyed the conversation and sharing of info on decoys and decoy making found on this site. Not all members like myself are skilled carvers but have felt comfortable asking questions and offering info. I would like that to continue. I have enjoyed my bootyociation with other members and hope to see the numbers grow.
I have decoys in my collection from other members including Scott and gaze at them daily as they reside on my living room shelf.Good stuff.

I have not yet learned to post pictures, i need to do that for no other reason than to give others a chance to chuckle at my attempts at decoy making.

Thanks to you Scott and others who have made this site a comfortable place to visit. Best wishes to the new owners i hope the emphasis is on individualism and tradition. I hope to be a better contributor in the future.
Bill.

Offline todd cocker

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:20:01 AM »
I'll second what Tony stated. This website has supercede any social media outreach.

When Facebook first started, it was too easy for someone to impersonate another person. Therefore, some took it upon themselves to slander, calumny, colocation and traducement with multiple accounts in my name.

I'm not the only one whom had this happen.

Since I was not a user of Facebook, the libel acts had continued for a couple years before Facebook closed the accounts.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:20:01 AM »

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 09:20:26 AM »
Love the site, have learned tons from it, met some great people. I love the idea of social media link. I would like to see more tutorials on techniques, carving with hand tools, painting, how to make patterns. Would like a calendar of Decoy shows and related events. Would like to see guys they give clbootyes post there scheduled clbootyes.
   I would be glad to help with moderation if needed.
?The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly; who know the great enthusiasums, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who at best know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly, so that their

Offline Dave Speer

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 10:17:31 AM »
I hate to say it, but I've been bad about not posting here when it's easier to post a picture straight to Facebook.  Especially since photobucket has become so hard to use.  And on FB, your posts get more activity.  I know I'm guilty of it, too, check out the forum, see a cool decoy someone posted, and forget to say anything.

I will say forums do make things easier for some things.  For example the DCF has been on facebook for a while now.  Trying to search for an old post is a royal pain.  Forum is definitely a better format for ongoing discussion/tutorial type stuff.

Good luck to the new crew!

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 10:59:31 AM »
I am not a user of social media like twitter and Facebook. Though I will agree that their popularity has caused traffic in forums such as this one to slide over the last few years.

One thing I will piggy back with is the direct link pictures. If this forum could get that option it would help things a lot. I think more people would post finished birds and in progress birds at a higher rate if they did not have to go through a hosting site like photobucket.
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Offline R Reitmeyer

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 12:43:44 PM »
I'm a fairly new member here and I appreciate the knowledge base of the members.  I am active on a hunting site, but this is where I come to talk decoy making. I prefer the forum format over facebook etc.  Facebook is a place I may wish to advertise, but a forum is much better place to share information and learn from others.  I will second Matt's comment about posting pictures, this could be made much easier.  I also recommend having a "like" function for post replies by others - this would allow for a quicker type of involvement in the forum.  Perhaps allowing a longer list of active posts could be provided.  Good luck!

Offline BoBB

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 12:54:25 PM »
First off THANK YOU to Scott and everyone else who worked hard to maintain this forum, its really a great site and would be sad to see it
go the way of others to social media. I'm not a social media fan nor will I be.

I learned many things on this forum and hope to keep learning, I do believe this forum is much more user friendly to the average joe duck hunter who would like to carve some decoys for his own rig. Many start with foam, go on to cork and wood as they get better with their carving.

I wish only the best to the new owners going forward
Everyday is a great day!

Offline Tony Banks

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 02:20:16 PM »
I concur with the need for an easier method of posting photos. Having said that, I would hate to see any of the existing photobucket-linked pics lost to any changes down the road. I like the forum because there is more detailed discussion here than what I have seen on social media sites AND the Search function works here and makes it easier to peruse older postings. Also, the admins and moderators have done a good job keeping the posts in line with the forum topic , not overburdened with a lot of other off-topic commentary and spam. I've also really enjoyed the Christmas Mini-swap.

Offline Tony Homer

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 03:53:09 PM »
Good Afternoon everyone and Thank You for your comments and thoughts and concerns. I am the new owner of the WD.net and the forum. I will do my very best to be fair and true to everyone and have asked some of the Admins and Moderators to stay on and help me revive this forum. We have a great deal of work to do around here but from the comments made I believe we can pull together and get this done.

First order of business is cleaning up the sponsors list and getting that current and up to date. We will also be implementing a very reasonable and fair sponsorship program in the near future as well.

Second order is to see about the photo posting options for ease of use for members and to bring life back to WD.net.

3rd order of business is getting the user names up to standard and following the rules of the page. One thing I cannot stand is people who don't use there real names and hide behind fake names. Those will not be allowed here. All Members MUST use their real name in one way shape or form. per the rules or you will be removed.

4th I will be implementing a tracking system so that I can monitor website traffic and watch and see what we need to do to help it grow.

Lastly to spark interest and build post counts here and that requires each and everyone of us to accomplish. I want to see everyone sharing there pbootyion of waterfowl decoys in what ever aspect that is. painting carving, molding. What ever. Lets get this page back up and rolling full speed ahead.

Thank You to each of you and especially Scott for the opportunity to take over this site. I remember when Scott started it and the first time I met Scott as he had purchased some EPS beads from me and we met for Dinner at the Rain Forest Cafe in Memphis. Great time was had and it was a pleasure meeting Scott and we have had a few other business dealings since and finally we were able to close this one as well.  Scott is welcome to stay on here as an Admin as long as he likes as I believe he is a true bootyet to this page and I welcome his input and knowledge. We have alot of work to do here. Not just Me or the Admins but You the members as well. So lets get to work.

Offline Tony Homer

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 05:33:10 PM »
Guys posting pictures is really pretty simple. Click on this link to a thread about posting photos directly.
http://workingdecoys.net/workingdecoysforum/index.php?topic=10146.msg86223#new

Offline Michael.McCord

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 09:28:54 PM »
Scott, thanks for starting this years ago. It has been a great tool for all of us to learn from and share. I can relate to the time issue- I think I hunted a grand total of 3 times in the late season last year and I have a pile of half finished decoys accumulating in my basement. That said, I try to check in 1-2 times a week to keep up with the great work hitting the forum. What set this apart from that other decoy forum was the focus on crafting tools for waterfowling instead of showpieces.

Tony, thanks for taking the reins. I hope we have continued success and growth under your ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mike Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 01:41:44 AM »
 Very glad to see that the site will continue. Looking forward to seeing some rejuvenation, it has gotten a bit slow. I've learned a bunch on here an I'm grateful for those who were willing to share info.

Going forward, I would love to see more photo tutorials.  That is such a great resource.

A great example is the mallard painting tutorial by Steven Sanford on the Homer site, or the Robert Mitchell painting demos.  Great stuff. Hope we get more of that.

Thanks for keeping it going Tony.