Author Topic: May workbench  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

May workbench
« on: May 04, 2017, 05:42:15 PM »
To nasty and wet to hunt turkeys, streams and rivers to high to fly fish. So...5"X7" watercolor of Canada Geese as a thank you going in the mail.

Working Decoys Forum

May workbench
« on: May 04, 2017, 05:42:15 PM »

Offline Jeffrey Nelson

Re: May workbench
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 08:09:59 PM »
Vince, sorry for the turkeys. and the high water. Looks like you still found a way to manage the free time. Great water color.
I finally got the three wood ducks I've been working on for awhile to the point of getting some paint on them. I'll post them up and a couple of shorebirds when I get them done.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 08:09:59 PM »

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 06:41:38 AM »
Very nice. You guys that can do flat work as well as decoys are truly artists.

I have a pair of coots that I expect to be done in the next day or two depending how turkey hunting pans out. Hunting pressured birds that never roost in the same spot or follow any set daily pattern.
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 09:57:39 AM »
Thanks guys. Gotta stay busy. May even have to go back down into the shop (don't really want to) as there is no end to the nasty weather in sight. If it continues poult production will be thin on a already smaller population of turkey.

I look forward to seeing your works. Good luck turkey hunting.

Offline BoBB

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:22:04 AM »

Nice watercolor Vince, but they should  be turkeys not geese lol

Here is a pair of coot almost ready for paint
Hollow cedar, inletted head on the feeder new pattern that I just made, a few tweeks on the next one otherwise happy with it how it turned out.
Everyday is a great day!

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:22:04 AM »

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 10:18:46 AM »
Bob - Those are some good lookin' Coot decoys. I like the inletted head on the feeder.

Due to all the rain and cold. I'm seeing more paired up Canada geese, than turkey. So I paint what I see the most. Sunshine today for the first time in awhile. So I'll go look see at the streams.

Last year drought, this year so far flood. God has a sense of humor... :)

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 10:52:01 AM »

Here's one of my coots, I made two of them. They are scrap wood birds, one in cedar with a cedar head, the other is sugar pine with a cedar head.

Tried something different with these. As we all know coots aren't black. They are grey with a black highlight that makes them look black from a distance. So I put the tool and carving marks back into the birds, then painted them grey, and drybrushed the black over the top of it hitting the high spots on the carving. Then I would put it out on the porch and stand back 25 feet. When they looked black I called them done, some 14-15coats after I started the process. I really like how they turned out. Completely different than a lot of what I've seen out there and will make a welcome addition to my gunning rig for lake of the woods this year.
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Offline Tony Homer

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 08:27:07 AM »
Bob photos are working here?

Offline BoBB

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 10:35:04 AM »

OK Tony,
For what ever reason my computer don't show pictures of my coot and Vince's watercolor but does show the posts.
It showed the pics for two days then they disappeared off the posts, anyone else have this problem.
Everyday is a great day!

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 11:13:38 AM »
The only picture I see is the one I posted. Everyone else's are gone.
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 12:27:47 PM »
Only the coot photo remains. All others have vanished... ???

BUT we got a new modem from Spectrum (4th one so far) and it is JUNK, as is the new DVR. So much for bein' better than TWC. HA! >:(

Offline BoBB

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 05:28:45 PM »

Reposting pictures of my coot decoys to see if the show or not
Everyday is a great day!

Offline BoBB

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 05:31:08 PM »

Apparently Something has changed that prevents me from posting pictures from attachments
Everyday is a great day!

Offline BoBB

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 06:59:06 PM »
Trying something different on posting pics
Everyday is a great day!

Offline Tom Daly

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 09:10:38 PM »
Bob and Matt, I'm seeing all pics. BTW, sweet Coot, guys