Join WorkingDecoys.Net

Author Topic: Shop ideas.  (Read 489 times)

Offline benp

Shop ideas.
« on: April 26, 2017, 11:10:05 AM »
I recently moved into a new home earlier this year. It has a nice 13'x15' shop and a separate garage.

The garage is being used for yard tools and decoy storage and whatever else since neither my truck or wife's car can fit in there, it was made for a small car.

So back to the shop, it has a sink and counter in there and a floor to ceiling corner cabinet built in there, so I have quite a bit of space to work with. I plan on making the areas around the sink useful for cleaning game, and doing taxidermy work so will build a table for that, but that's only using one wall.
I don't plan to do any power carving in there since I will use it to paint as well so strictly hand carving.

For those that have shops already, what are some suggestions for getting it set up for carving/painting and whatever else I'm sure I haven't thought about. I want to build some shelves and a table but as far as tool storage or decoy storage for different stages and stuff like that what are some ideas to what y'all have done.
Benjamin Pendleton
NE NC

Working Decoys Forum

Shop ideas.
« on: April 26, 2017, 11:10:05 AM »

Offline Michael.McCord

Re: Shop ideas.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 04:51:08 PM »
Lighting, lighting, lighting. Oh, and then there's lighting. I put 4' led tubes in a daylight wavelength in my basement. They are super bright, efficient, and supposed to last 15+ years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 04:51:08 PM »

Offline Bill Clark

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »
Storage,storage,storage, can't have too many shelves, drawers or cabinets. I agree LED's are the way to go.

Offline Tony Banks

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 02:07:08 PM »
I have a pipe attached to some of the trusses in my garage that I use for hanging decoys to dry. I cut and use old coat hangers in a "S" shape and run the lower loop thru line attachment in the keel.

Ditto Mike's light comment and Bill's storage comment, especially for small items.

I also painted the my inside garage walls (1/2 CD plywood) with WHITE semigloss aklyd enamel, it helps brighten the workspace and it's easier to clean off the dust than from latex.

Size any bench heights to meet your thumb when your arm is by your side.

A dust system is on my long-term wish list, but for now I use a respirator and fan.

Offline benp

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 03:58:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.
Lighting is a big deal that I had put little thought into. There is florescent light bulb in there now but only two bulbs work. There are three windows so I get some natural light.
Where did you get the daylight wavelength lights from?

How deep do y'all have the shelves. I was thinking making them 12" deep

And great idea on having a place to hang them, I have struggled when dealing the birds so this will help a lot having a place just for that stuff
Benjamin Pendleton
NE NC

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 03:58:20 PM »

Offline Tony Banks

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 08:50:15 PM »
I have a couple 12" shelves on metal L brackets mounted to the wall.

Offline Michael.McCord

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 11:08:04 PM »
You can order led tubes that fit into the fluorescent fixtures on amazon, etc. Just rip out the ballast and wire a red and black to the terminal on one end. That simple. They were about $15/light. I am replacing all mine as the fluorescent bulbs die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline R Reitmeyer

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 02:10:32 PM »
Sounds like a great space to work.  I'm going to bootyume you will have a work bench dedicated to your carving.  If you are going to store and season carving wood you should plan for that too.  My work bench is open underneath the working surface and I stack my lumber there.  I also have a few repurposed kitchen base cabinets with a counter top surface I use for drying area, gun cleaning etc.  For me peg boards are also a must for storing tools.  Lastly, don't forget to clutter it up with those "just in case" items. 

Offline benp

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 06:20:25 PM »
I forgot to mention it had an attic too so I plan to use that for storing and drying wood.
I do plan on making a table that will be used for carving, make a vice for it and such. Would also like to make a carving horse.

And I am terrible for having odds and ends for just in case I need it
Benjamin Pendleton
NE NC